QP v Arbroath

Last night was a really poor performance and a disappointing result, but it pisses me off how quick so many fans are to leave the game at the final whistle, without waiting to acknowledge the team in any way. You'd think we were seventh in League Two as opposed to top of the Championship with a four-point lead.

Very frustrating night when you have an attack(?) that misses golden chances and a defence that makes schoolboy errors. Eze showed again how unreliable he can be and ultimately it was his unenforceable error that gave Arbroath their one good opportunity, well finished by an experienced opportunist. For me though, Fox was the weakest link last night. I was one of the first, maybe the first, to flag up what a great defender he was and he was certainly a huge influence last year. He’s had a few flat performances recently but his biggest weakness is his passing and last night was a horror show. Far too many long balls, diagonal balls that in themselves are usually inaccurate. But also quite a few where he had a simple short pass to feet available but still thought he was Beckenbauer. 

Unfortunately the edit was just after, but the goal move started because Fox over hit a simple pass to Davidson which spun out for a shy. The resulting throw was a tussle with Fox v Hilson, easily won by Hilson and as Arbroath play the second ball, Hilson spins and heads toward goal while Charlie walks. Seconds later, Hilson has the ball in the net courtesy of Eze’s step over. At least that makes it an easy choice to put Kilday back in the team.

I’ve also noticed in games Charlie bossing people and doing lots of finger-pointing. Maybe Coyle has challenged him to be more of a leader but his lack of focus on his own game is becoming too obvious. He needs a reset, back to basics and allowing our midfielders to work the ball, not him. It even crossed my mind that Kilday and Eze should start next week, but that’s maybe too short a straw.

I also noticed at least 6 times in the first-half where midfielders received a ball with loads of space behind them but still played a pass out wide rather than drive toward goal. Davidson used these spaces very well v Cove and I was surprised Longridge got started ahead of him. Louis’ has done a great job for us but I’m afraid on last night’s performances this isn’t his level.

Also can’t figure out why Shields is playing wide, on both flanks. He’s strong enough to have won some of those six yard box tap-ins that Henderson (3 times) wasn’t. Henderson is one of those elite temps who thinks everyone else is there to give him the ball at his feet. His anticipation is zero and he chokes the space by coming inside constantly. And his petulance coming off (shortly after a spat with Fox) shows his lack of “team” in his attitude. 

I’m happy for the Lichties and hope they stay up. But we lost the game at the front and the back, no question. Trying to squeeze something positive from this, we did make plenty of decent chances. Thomson and Kilday back in to steady the spine, Fox to stop being superman and focus on his own game, Shields in the penalty box, Healey on the wing. 

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Very frustrating night when you have an attack(?) that misses golden chances and a defence that makes schoolboy errors. Eze showed again how unreliable he can be and ultimately it was his unenforceable error that gave Arbroath their one good opportunity, well finished by an experienced opportunist. For me though, Fox was the weakest link last night. I was one of the first, maybe the first, to flag up what a great defender he was and he was certainly a huge influence last year. He’s had a few flat performances recently but his biggest weakness is his passing and last night was a horror show. Far too many long balls, diagonal balls that in themselves are usually inaccurate. But also quite a few where he had a simple short pass to feet available but still thought he was Beckenbauer. 

Unfortunately the edit was just after, but the goal move started because Fox over hit a simple pass to Davidson which spun out for a shy. The resulting throw was a tussle with Fox v Hilson, easily won by Hilson and as Arbroath play the second ball, Hilson spins and heads toward goal while Charlie walks. Seconds later, Hilson has the ball in the net courtesy of Eze’s step over. At least that makes it an easy choice to put Kilday back in the team.

I’ve also noticed in games Charlie bossing people and doing lots of finger-pointing. Maybe Coyle has challenged him to be more of a leader but his lack of focus on his own game is becoming too obvious. He needs a reset, back to basics and allowing our midfielders to work the ball, not him. It even crossed my mind that Kilday and Eze should start next week, but that’s maybe too short a straw.

I also noticed at least 6 times in the first-half where midfielders received a ball with loads of space behind them but still played a pass out wide rather than drive toward goal. Davidson used these spaces very well v Cove and I was surprised Longridge got started ahead of him. Louis’ has done a great job for us but I’m afraid on last night’s performances this isn’t his level.

Also can’t figure out why Shields is playing wide, on both flanks. He’s strong enough to have won some of those six yard box tap-ins that Henderson (3 times) wasn’t. Henderson is one of those elite temps who thinks everyone else is there to give him the ball at his feet. His anticipation is zero and he chokes the space by coming inside constantly. And his petulance coming off (shortly after a spat with Fox) shows his leach of “team” I’m his attitude. 

I’m happy for the Lichties and hope they stay up. But we lost the game at the front and the back, no question. Trying to squeeze something positive from this, we did make plenty of decent chances. Thomson and Kilday back in to steady the spine, Fox to stop being superman and focus on his own game, Shields in the penalty box, Healey on the wing. 

Have you offered your knowledge and expertise to Owen for the remainder sounds like he needs you?

That was probably the most deflating result of the season. Fair play to Arbroath, they were brilliant at the back and gave us very little time on the ball for the entirety of the 90 minutes. We deserved nothing from that 

We dominated possession first half and the way we’ve been so successful this season is by taking risks in the final third, playing quick 1-2’s in between the lines. We just looked so slow and pedestrian playing from side to side. Frustrating stuff but again, we need to adapt to scenarios where we’re not going to be able to play free flowing football 

Eze seems like such a great guy but last night’s mistake was unforgivable. Every time you think he’s turned a corner, he just follows it up with a horrific performance. Kilday has to go straight back into the team next week, no ifs or buts about it. 

I think tonight proved that Longridge is past it at this level. Excellent as a sub last week against Inverness but he almost gifted a goal in the opening 5 mins with a terribly lazy pass. Too lightweight to play as a defensive midfielder, which coincided with Boateng having probably his 1st ever poor game for us. Henderson continues to look totally ineffective. Healy or even McPake have to start wide left next week. Savoury you could argue should be in line for a spell on the bench with some of his recent performances of late. His replacement Jarrett looked bright again 

Feel bad for Connor shields. I see some comments saying Murray would of scored last night but I honestly don’t think he would with the service of late. The service murray had was superb but now we’re reverting to a lot of aimless punts up the park(Fox very guilty of this). Savoury isn’t playing close enough to win 2nd balls and ultimately Henderson hasn’t been good enough out wide since he joined

Of course recent results have went well but when you look at our performances, especially in the 1st half of games, maybe this result was coming. Hopefully it’s a result and gives the players a kick up the backside for the remaining fixtures 

At the end of the day, it’s still in our hands. Am I confident we’ll win it? Not particularly but you’ve just got to hope 

Edited by qpfc

I don't think Queen's Park fans should be too downhearted.

When you had the ball in our half, you weren't scared to take a chance and find gaps with short passes. But for some brilliant penalty box defending and maybe a lack of poachers instinct, it could have easily been a different result.

I certainly think you'll be in a position where beating Dundee on the last day will secure the title, at the very worst.

8 hours ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Last night was a really poor performance and a disappointing result, but it pisses me off how quick so many fans are to leave the game at the final whistle, without waiting to acknowledge the team in any way. You'd think we were seventh in League Two as opposed to top of the Championship with a four-point lead.

Well said. I was getting frustrated with some fans too. When things aren't going well encourage the team, don't get on their backs. Most of them are just young lads.  They need all the support we can give them.

1 hour ago, Lichtielegend said:

I don't think Queen's Park fans should be too downhearted.

When you had the ball in our half, you weren't scared to take a chance and find gaps with short passes. But for some brilliant penalty box defending and maybe a lack of poachers instinct, it could have easily been a different result.

I certainly think you'll be in a position where beating Dundee on the last day will secure the title, at the very worst.

You defended well and too your chance, so fair play.  And if means you finish above Paul Hartley's Cove then this cloud has a silver lining.

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Well said. I was getting frustrated with some fans too. When things aren't going well encourage the team, don't get on their backs. Most of them are just young lads.  They need all the support we can give them.

It must be really horrible when the 150 home fans don’t stay and give you a wee pat on the back, having lost against the team, bottom of the league. 
Looks like the pressure is beginning to tell, will the last game of the campaign even matter?

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

It must be really horrible when the 150 home fans don’t stay and give you a wee pat on the back, having lost against the team, bottom of the league. 
Looks like the pressure is beginning to tell, will the last game of the campaign even matter?

Says a bitter little man. Away and have a word with yourself.

That's probably the first time we've really missed Simon Murray. All those balls whizzing across the front of the goal were made for him.  Maybe we need to think about how best we can use Shields as he's a fair player. Play two up?

It's only one game and we're still top, but I reckon it's going to be a hard shift to stay there. Maybe playing against teams that are a bit more open will suit us. 

Edited by Hampden Diehard

1 hour ago, Anonymous Spider said:

How much of this is playing next to Eze, and wondering wtf he's going to do next? 

Like I said in the original, he’s spending too much time helping others. Get back to his own game and let Coyle worry about Eze. When Kilday was last out Charlie’s game dipped. Kilday back in, all good. Mostly.