Montrose vs Dunfermline

First of all Congratulations 100% won the league now 1 loss all season is great going...Well Deserved.

As for the game a think we huffed and puffed a bit without causing the pars too much problems.The second half was more like what we can play like but never really got going in full swing,subs mmm made an impact which was good to see.

Congrats Pars. Barring an utter Morton job, that's the league done.

I thought Dunfermline looked fairly unflustered for around an hour and made a total arse of our backline several times, only to somehow stop playing for the last 15/20 minutes and almost let us back in. If we'd pinched a second in that flurry we had going forward, I'm fairly sure we'd have squared the game. I hope SP plays the XI that finished the game next Saturday rather than the one that started it, because we looked far better after the subs. Machado has done enough to get a start, and Lyons needs to go back in.

If only we'd actually had a RB this season......

Edited by Scorge

1 hour ago, par-adise said:

A pretty even game in fairness. I'm surprised Montrose aren't further up the league based on what I've seen of them. Definitely better than Alloa or Edinburgh. 

It’s a strange one. Alloa, Edinburgh and Falkirk have probably been the 3 poorest teams against us this season. I can only assume that they’ve been better almost every other week, then have just been horrific against us. Airdrie are, by far, the best team we’ve played. They’ve obviously struggled for consistency earlier in the season though, because they now seem to be getting the results I’d expect them to get. 

Clyde and Peterhead have managed to score goals and take points off of us. Montrose managed to beat us and have made things tough for us. Goals against us and points we’ve dropped:

Airdrie - 5 (4 pts dropped)
Clyde - 3 (4 pts dropped)
Montrose - 3 (3 pts dropped)
Kelty - 2 (2 pts dropped)
Peterhead - 2 (2 pts dropped)
QoS - 1 (2 pts dropped)
Falkirk - 1 (2 pts dropped)
Edinburgh - 0 (2 pts dropped)
Alloa - 0 (0 pts dropped)

If we’re being honest, the main reason we’ve pulled away and stayed ahead of Falkirk, Alloa and Edinburgh is because of our results against these teams. Falkirk had been similarly good against the teams around them in the table, but McGlynn’s bottled it again recently.

I've got as much time for Falkirk as any right-minded person, but I think it is a touch harsh to say that they've been one of the worst 3 teams that we have played.  Their 1st performance against us at EEP, in the 1st half at least, was probably as good as anyone I've seen against us this season.  The other two games have been relatively even until we've scored and then they've fallen away.  I think they look alright but lack cutting edge and are a bit spineless.

Totally agree re Montrose though.  They've looked dangerous in every game against us and I'm surprised they're not higher in the table.  And Airdrie are definitely the best side we've faced, albeit they clearly blow hot and cold.

In the main, I've felt most sides have looked relatively decent - certainly in comparison to the last time we were in this league and could generally give most sides a seeing to.  It's probably also down to the way we're set up to be solid rather than some sort of Ajax in the mid-90s tribute act. 

For instance, Kelty looked good at EEP, QoS were outstanding in the first 45 minutes at our place, Edinburgh (to me anyway) look ultra-organised and a complete nightmare to play against, Clyde have given us a game all 3 times we've played them.  Peterhead are in the right position mind you and it's probably Alloa whose position surprises me the most given what they've shown against us.  Not that they've ever been bad, but it seems strange to me that they are sitting 3rd.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

Chalmers ball for the first is sublime!

Makes it even better that's his first forward pass all year, well according to some...

His range of passing is excellent. I don’t know how some people seem to miss his diagonals into a great areas. Some of our fans have an agenda against him. He’s had a very good season.

Nobody’s trying to re-write history and pretend last season didn’t happen. But his mindset has changed since Hughes left. He’s been looking forward a lot this season, supporting the attacking players and has played some great passes. When he’s been missing, you’ve really noticed. We’ve really struggled to create anything and get the ball into good areas when he’s not been on the park.

His set pieces are also very good. Yes, he has his weaknesses and lacks physicality. But McPake has found a way to use him that plays to his strengths. Hopefully he can continue this form next season, assuming we make that step back to the championship.

8 hours ago, par-adise said:

Thought Otoo proved the naysayers wrong yesterday.

A pretty even game in fairness. I'm surprised Montrose aren't further up the league based on what I've seen of them. Definitely better than Alloa or Edinburgh. 

Good to hear he played well. I was one of the ''naysayers'' you refer to. Hopefully keep Bene and O'Too injury/suspension free for the next few weeks.

6 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Some of our fans have an agenda against him. He’s had a very good season.

That's because he was absolute dug meat last season. Hope he proves himself with the step up next season. He has been good at this level.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Chalmers ball for the first is sublime!

Makes it even better that's his first forward pass all year, well according to some...

He can do this but he also gets caught on the ball or messes up a 4 yard pass very often. That's why I get annoyed. But his dead balls and usually good too. He's a frustrating player not a bad one

3 hours ago, Heaton said:

He can do this but he also gets caught on the ball or messes up a 4 yard pass very often. That's why I get annoyed. But his dead balls and usually good too. He's a frustrating player not a bad one

Tbf he is almost always showing to take the ball under pressure if he didn't f**k up occasionally he wouldn't be at our level.

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy

Chalmers is a talented footballer. Imo he shouldn't be vilified by his own supporters as much as he is, or at least to the level I've witnessed. He's been a constant in this team and a major contributor to any success we've experienced so far this season.

4 hours ago, CallumPar said:

. But his mindset has changed since Hughes left.

I think this is the huge thing. Sometimes I wonder if I was being overly harsh last year on him, not because I think what he was doing was any good,  but I think perhaps he was trying to go exactly what his manager wanted and he’s doing that again. Difference is his manager this year isn’t an utter weirdo and tries to give his players instructions to win games and not to boost meaningless stats.

9 hours ago, Wind Chime Jimmy said:

Chalmers is a talented footballer. Imo he shouldn't be vilified by his own supporters as much as he is, or at least to the level I've witnessed. He's been a constant in this team and a major contributor to any success we've experienced so far this season.

Its just taking a while to shake off his first season with us in the Grant/Yogi season of bantz n' lolz.

Everyone was shite but he was the worst which is no mean feat (and we paid money)

Opinion has turned a lot already. It'll come. 

There's been nobody better at keeping the ball than Chalmers this season.

I don't see Hamilton, Todd, Wighton or anyone else getting stick for giving the ball away as much as Super Joe, yet he's consistently making things tick over for us. 

18 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

There's been nobody better at keeping the ball than Chalmers this season.

I don't see Hamilton, Todd, Wighton or anyone else getting stick for giving the ball away as much as Super Joe, yet he's consistently making things tick over for us. 

I get that, but keeping possession isn't really their jobs. Hamilton is a disruptor and is there to break up play (I'd rather he did that and then gave the ball to Chalmers or someone else), Todd is a box to box player who is there to get us up the park either by running or passing and Wighton is there to link up play and score goals. Chalmers was brought in by Hughes because "he had a habit of passing to a teammate" and his role in the team is to keep the ball moving and start things from the back. It's like wondering why nobody criticises Mehmet for poor throw ins or Benedictus for poor crossing or whatever.