Coronation 6th May

Quelle surprise.

Brief historical interlude:

Elizabeth II was crowned on a Tuesday in June back in 1953. George VI was crowned on a Wednesday in May in 1937, there was an Inter City 'national at Hampden between Edinburgh and Glasgow that evening (I've got the programme somewhere). George V was crowned on a Thursday in June in 1911.

Edward VII was crowned on Saturday 9th August 1902 (delayed from Thursday 26th June due to the new King needing an operation): there was an international in Belfast which finished Ireland 0-3 Scotland; the Final of the Lanarkshire Express Cup which finished Motherwell 4-1 Airdrie; and a couple of benefit friendlies (Partick 6-4 Thistle + Cowdenbeath 2-0 Lochgelly).

There was a British League Cup organised whose Final was to coincide with the June crowning but of course this proved abortive and it was played-off earlier. It involved the top 2 from that season's Football League (Rangers + Celtic) and Scottish League (Sunderland + Everton):

image.thumb.png.b2a91232d49373dfb46000f90fa23f13.png

Then in 1953 we had the Coronation Cup. It involved that season's double winners Rangers plus runners-up Hibs and Aberdeen. Celtic were also invited despite finishing 8th and losing Scottish Cup QFs.

England sent Arsenal (league champions), Manchester United (previous season's league champions) and Newcastle (previous season's FA Cup winners). As that season's FA Cup Final was immediately before the tournament Spurs (previous season's league runners-up) were also invited, ahead of that season's runners-up Preston.

image.thumb.png.e3c4b6a9fbc7aac40b7f2a354983bc22.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Why are the cream buns playing on the Sunday?

20 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Refused to play on coronation day. 

I’ve not seen anything that has confirmed why. One might presume that’s the reason, but I’m sure @Drew Breeswill be able to provide the source to confirm.

Edited by AJF

56 minutes ago, stressball said:

Cheers for the ghost notification because you tagged me instead of Drew 😂

Aye, for some reason when I’d quoted the tweet I scrolled to the top of the page and seen your name and thought it was yourself I was commenting on 😂 whoops! 

14 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Is confirmation not a kafflik thing?

Think the proddies do it too. Copycats. 

By the way lads, just wondering if there’s a formal route through which we can vent our frustration at having to play football on the most important day of the year?