Dundee FC vs Ayr United - 21/03/23

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Partick, Morton and perhaps Raith would like to talk to you.

Well I’d be expecting them to challenge but my point being that we are perfectly capable of finishing above all three. I don’t think Raith will be near the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

There's a big bald reason. 

As bald as he is, we are still competent enough to scrape over the line imo. A lot of work to be done in the summer. I’m not convinced it’s set in stone he’ll be here. 

Just now, eez-eh said:

It’s a bizarre set of subs. In one fell swoop he’s lost our extra man in midfield and nullified our threat from out wide.

We have an extra striker on but no means of getting the ball to them that isn’t a hoof up the park.

Aye McAlear was contributing to how well we did in the first half. The midfielders always had a spare man to pass to and Dundee were struggling with it. Went 2-1 down, shat it and thought our best bet was going more direct. My worry is that Bullen will now change from the 4-3-3 because it didn’t win us the game tonight despite it being our best chance of winning games with the players we currently have available. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

As bald as he is, we are still competent enough to scrape over the line imo. A lot of work to be done in the summer. I’m not convinced it’s set in stone he’ll be here. 

I can only hope and pray that he is not. 

3 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Would you say though that reading currently offers more? Finn is young and inexperienced but has a lot of natural ability. Also was he not played at right back in the Patrick game? 

I think the best thing I can say about Reading is that currently, he is capable of having an okay game. A lot depends on what the opponents are offering on their right hand side (McCowan is probably one of the hardest players Reading will come up against this season). 

Don’t get me wrong, if Ecrepont was in the squad and available I’d be wondering if we should give him a chance against Cove. But I can’t say I’m annoyed that we loaned him out as I don’t think he’d have been a difference maker for us. 

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

I can only hope and pray that he is not. 

I, like most others, probably wouldn’t bat an eyelid if he left. Certainly wouldn’t be overjoyed in the way I was with Hopkin or Duffy but it’s also not a loss in the way it felt with McCall. 

Bit like Brian Reid. Would be a “aye I can understand that, fair enough”. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m not convinced it’s set in stone he’ll be here.

I think he’s being wheeled out as a permanent and integral part of the ‘plan’ in the same way that Mathie is, so I don’t think a top 5 finish will be anywhere near enough for Smith to get rid. There’s also practically no negative feeling towards him except on this dark corner of the inter web.

4 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

I think he’s being wheeled out as a permanent and integral part of the ‘plan’ in the same way that Mathie is, so I don’t think a top 5 finish will be anywhere near enough for Smith to get rid. There’s also practically no negative feeling towards him except on this dark corner of the inter web.

Funny you say that as I don’t see him spoken about as part of the long term vision at all. I think Mathie and Smith are seen as the constants as they are effectively co-running the club at the minute. I think the idea is that these “head coaches” will only have a lifespan of two years before they are either poached if we’re doing well or replaced if things get stale. I don’t think Bullen views us as a long term plan either. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Funny you say that as I don’t see him spoken about as part of the long term vision at all. I think Mathie and Smith are seen as the constants as they are effectively co-running the club at the minute. I think the idea is that these “head coaches” will only have a lifespan of two years before they are either poached if we’re doing well or replaced if things get stale. I don’t think Bullen views us as a long term plan either. 

I think it’s maybe the fanbase that are giving me that vibe rather than the club tbh. He seems to be viewed differently because the club off the field is improving leads people automatically to think on the field is the same.

29 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

I think it’s maybe the fanbase that are giving me that vibe rather than the club tbh. He seems to be viewed differently because the club off the field is improving leads people automatically to think on the field is the same.

I think it's extremely unlikely that he gets the sack in the summer. On the other hand his remit next season should Ayr finish in the playoffs will not be to avoid relegation, and he won't have a cheat-mode level striker at his disposal.

Deserved win, played well tonight, particularly second half.  Thought McGhee played really well tbh. Would still probably rather him at full back in place of Mulligan with Byrne coming in but that’s unlikely at this stage of the season. 

Jackubiak and Robinson link up so well which doesn’t come as a surprise as they’ve shown it in the limited times they have played together.

And lastly, McCowan was class. I know he can be frustrating but he’s our most technical and creative player and he should be starting. 

Still going to be incredibly difficult but maybe we’ve given ourselves a chance.  

Pretty comfortable in the end. We played well tonight, some really good link up play and could have had at least a couple in the first half but for Buffon playing for Ayr.

Ayr played some really tidy football in the first half and were exploiting Mulligan and our slow centre backs. Akinyemi ran Ashcroft & Sweeny ragged 1st half but I would say they managed to handle him comfortably in the second.

MoTM for me was McCowan who was terrific, very closely behind was Jakubiak IMO. 

Genuinely baffling that Bowyer has not played Robinson and Jakubiak up more. The two link together very well. Hopefully that is the partnership for the last 7 games. 

First 5 mins of the 2nd half threatened to be as wobbly as the first, but we improved quite a bit after that and took the game to them. McGhee and Cameron much better controlling the midfield, McCowan again showing why he should be starting while Hannant was decent (unlucky not to get an assist), though didn't do enough with his chances in the 2nd half.

And of course, shocker, Zach and Jak playing together is far more productive than anything we've had with one striker on (if only Jakubiak could repay Zach instead of hoofing the ball over the net, but that's a nitpick after tonight). Thought the side looked very fit and capable in keeping up with a fast Ayr side, and to go through the full game without any real need to take players off is something to be pleased about.

Felt Byrne's sub was an utter pisstake tbh though, felt solely like a token gesture at the end of a game that was already won. Puts any theory of appearance bonuses keeping him off the pitch out of the question tbh.

Overall though a massive win, if not to keep the title race alive then to give us a bit of breathing room over 3rd with which to avoid the play-offs QFs if necessary. Can't not be beating Hamilton next though, and hopefully we'll have more of our players back by then.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Well I’d be expecting them to challenge but my point being that we are perfectly capable of finishing above all three. I don’t think Raith will be near the playoffs. 

IDK. Partick would be, in my mind, odds on to top you. Morton look unlikely to catch you. Raith, I would agree, except the last ten we’ve been 3-6-1, and the recent display at Cove showed if we get confident, it’s possible. If I had to bet on it, I go with Partick third and Ayr fourth.

My favourite part of this thread is @Ludo*1 being so baffled that Bowyer put Zach and Jak in the same starting XI that he convinced himself Hannant would play in midfield for a 4-3-3 😆

I totally get it too, was convinced myself that there was no chance we'd start both together. Thankfully Bowyer isn't as rigid as feared, surely it'd be hard for him to look away from this setup going forward now.

Personally didn't thing McGhee was that good in centre mid yesterday.  Spent half the game hiding behind Ayr players so he couldn't be passed too.  Cameron much better, always looking to receive the ball from anyone and anywhere and won the ball back a good few times.  Shame he's 3ft and 6 stone.  

McCowan was okay, kept pretending to be hurt every time he lost the ball second half, was stressing me out big time.