Alloa Athletic FC V Clyde FC

53 minutes ago, Alloamad said:

Three nil to the Wasps 🤞🫣

Could be.

Typically minging 45 minutes from Clyde. Why is Ross Lyon playing in midfield? He's literally given up possession ten times.

Another decent performance today and game felt quite similar to last week. 

A little disappointing to have let Clyde back in to the game, but looked pretty comfortable in general. 

Cracking strike from Murray Miller and he picked up where he left off last week. Seems to have developed a good partnership in the middle with Robbo and it’s good signs with Scougall coming back from injury as well. 

Good win for us with Edinburgh dropping points too.

We could have matched Airdries score line with the chances we had.

Some of Donnelly's touches were sublime, especially first half. He faded a bit second half but to be expected with him coming back from injury, thought he would have been subbed off earlier than he was.

Good finishes from Miller and Sammon too.

Hopefully follow up with a good result against Peterhead

We were comfortable winners in a performance that was pretty good in patches. Even when Clyde equalised I always thought we would win the game, despite some really good saves from Parry to keep it level.

Thought the old timers Doyle and Cawley were our best players today. Donnelly again put in a really good  shift and Sammon looked hungry from the bench, took his goal really well.

Millers goal will be added to my Goal of the Season poll- very good strike.

Shame Edinburgh picked up an unexpected point at East End, but another win next week would put us in a decent position for the run in.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Woefully out of our depth on the pitch at this level, woefully out of our depth off the pitch at this level. We deserve to be a League 2 side and have done almost from the minute we were promoted.

We are progressively getting worse; our last three away games have featured halves that are amongst the worst of the entire season.' Duffy now has them fully programmed to punt the ball aimlessly and as for this recent idea that Lyon can play in the centre of midfield...

In fairness, the half-time change, putting Cuddihy centrally, and a miserable piece of goalkeeping got us back in it but Alloa were quite simply better throughout. No surprise given their squad packed full of real-life footballers.

Even the brief hope from some new additions has worn off. Doherty did absolutely nothing but justifiably stayed on ahead of Rennie who was even worse than that, just kept falling over. Hynes finally got a run at right-back and was dreadful; couldn't even block crosses that were blasted right at him.

The only entertaining part of another awful Saturday was a quite ridiculous outburst from a steward.

41 minutes ago, David W said:

Woefully out of our depth on the pitch at this level, woefully out of our depth off the pitch at this level. We deserve to be a League 2 side and have done almost from the minute we were promoted.

We are progressively getting worse; our last three away games have featured halves that are amongst the worst of the entire season.' Duffy now has them fully programmed to punt the ball aimlessly and as for this recent idea that Lyon can play in the centre of midfield...

In fairness, the half-time change, putting Cuddihy centrally, and a miserable piece of goalkeeping got us back in it but Alloa were quite simply better throughout. No surprise given their squad packed full of real-life footballers.

Even the brief hope from some new additions has worn off. Doherty did absolutely nothing but justifiably stayed on ahead of Rennie who was even worse than that, just kept falling over. Hynes finally got a run at right-back and was dreadful; couldn't even block crosses that were blasted right at him.

The only entertaining part of another awful Saturday was a quite ridiculous outburst from a steward.

Ross Lyon played in central midfield once or twice for Stenhousemuir last season. I can't quite remember the game, but he was specifically brought off the bench to add something to the middle of the park (with Stephen Swift outlining why in his post-match interview) but it didn't work and everyone was bewildered.

Fair play for the Clyde-manager-in-waiting in reprising the experiment in League 1!

EDITED TO ADD: I've just found the interview - it came after a 2-0 win over Forfar Athletic, where Lyon replaced Nat Wedderburn to play in midfield - and Swift says he gives you a defensive aspect as well as ball-carrying ability.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

It said it all of our current "set-up" (I'm not sure exactly what to call the hopeless, disjointed rabble we are seeing at present) that Salkeld and another midfielder were often found pressing Alloa's backline rather than our front two. There were a lot of shouts claiming that Doherty is lazy or not bothered today, but the simple fact is that he's a trier who is nowhere near good enough technically. If you combined him and Rennie you'd have a half decent player but the reality is that we're so deficient that nobody can really shine in this team. The ball is consistently treated like it's an unpinned grenade, and the continued prominence of Ross Lyon just gets more and more harrowing by the week. Next season could be a similarly long one in League 2 if Hynes, Rennie and Doherty will be regulars.

On Alloa: pie on a roll a great concept, but a better quality of pie is required to fulfil the undoubted potential of the dish. On the pitch, they played us off the park and were well worth their win. 

23 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

We were comfortable winners in a performance that was pretty good in patches. Even when Clyde equalised I always thought we would win the game, despite some really good saves from Parry to keep it level.

Thought the old timers Doyle and Cawley were our best players today. Donnelly again put in a really good  shift and Sammon looked hungry from the bench, took his goal really well.

Millers goal will be added to my Goal of the Season poll- very good strike.

Shame Edinburgh picked up an unexpected point at East End, but another win next week would put us in a decent position for the run in.

Yeah, I thought they were excellent, both defensively and combining in attack. Doyley has given us better defensive cover on the right and yesterday was his best game since he returned in an attacking sense. We're just always a better team when wee Kev is on the pitch IMO. *

I didn't think we had any failures tbh. LD and Coulson were maybe a bit less effective than they can be, but both had their moments and did just fine. Our attack is more fluid with them and McIver together IMO, although it was good to see Sammo come on and play so well, scoring a good goal.

Robbo and Murray Miller formed an effective, classy partnership. It was good to see them playing a bit further forward - not sure if that was because we were at home to Clyde or whether it was a tactical change. Certainly the formation and lineup for the last two games has looked good and has done the business. Cracking goal from young Miller, he was clearly delighted to get his first goal (and who wouldn't be with a strike like that) and the rest of the players seemed just as pleased for him. He's a good young player who has come on this year and I hope he can get a full-time chance next season.

* As long as he isn't stuck at right back. 😒

Edited by printer

Serious question to Alloa fans - How bad did Clyde look to you and how do we compare to other teams you've played at home this season? Were we significantly worse than say the bottom half of the league you've seen at RP this season or is it much of a muchness in terms of general shiteness? Thanks in advance! 

2 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Serious question to Alloa fans - How bad did Clyde look to you and how do we compare to other teams you've played at home this season? Were we significantly worse than say the bottom half of the league you've seen at RP this season or is it much of a muchness in terms of general shiteness? Thanks in advance! 

In terms of single performances no worse than Edinburgh who we played away last week - they offered almost nothing all game (although they did hurt us with two comeback wins earlier in the season). You just managed to score a fairly nice goal from 25 yards to make it a bit nervy until Murray Miller took it into his own hands. However, you don't have any coherent or effective attacking outlets - your full backs are definitely one of the weakest areas on the park and it showed with Doyle and Coulson getting in behind repeatedly.

I think we've had Montrose's number but they've not impressed me this season - they've had a decent first half against us a few times but fell out of the game completely - Kelty Hearts have had no more than a few spells in games against us and I think we'll rue the dropped points there. Queen of the South are up and down.

Peterhead were absolute no-hopers both times we've played them at home. The guy on loan from Arbroath whose name escapes me was the only player I noted as looking likely to contribute anything the last time. I don't think the table lies though. You're incapable of picking up points which is damning. There is not much nous in the Clyde team. Although League 2 is a long way behind from what I've experienced so you may sneak a playoff victory by a freak result or two.

13 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

In terms of single performances no worse than Edinburgh who we played away last week - they offered almost nothing all game (although they did hurt us with two comeback wins earlier in the season). You just managed to score a fairly nice goal from 25 yards to make it a bit nervy until Murray Miller took it into his own hands. However, you don't have any coherent or effective attacking outlets - your full backs are definitely one of the weakest areas on the park and it showed with Doyle and Coulson getting in behind repeatedly.

I think we've had Montrose's number but they've not impressed me this season - they've had a decent first half against us a few times but fell out of the game completely - Kelty Hearts have had no more than a few spells in games against us and I think we'll rue the dropped points there. Queen of the South are up and down.

Peterhead were absolute no-hopers both times we've played them at home. The guy on loan from Arbroath whose name escapes me was the only player I noted as looking likely to contribute anything the last time. I don't think the table lies though. You're incapable of picking up points which is damning. There is not much nous in the Clyde team. Although League 2 is a long way behind from what I've experienced so you may sneak a playoff victory by a freak result or two.

Cheers for that. It's interesting to get an outside and detailed perspective on your team now and then.

Can't say I disagree with anything you've said but I still maintain that with the right person in charge our squad is capable of grinding out a few positive results between now and the end of season. It may not be pretty but there's a lot to be said for hard work, organisation and just focussing on getting the basics right.

Thanks again and good luck for the rest of the season.

Edited by RutherGlen

22 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Ross Lyon played in central midfield once or twice for Stenhousemuir last season. I can't quite remember the game, but he was specifically brought off the bench to add something to the middle of the park (with Stephen Swift outlining why in his post-match interview) but it didn't work and everyone was bewildered.

Fair play for the Clyde-manager-in-waiting in reprising the experiment in League 1!

EDITED TO ADD: I've just found the interview - it came after a 2-0 win over Forfar Athletic, where Lyon replaced Nat Wedderburn to play in midfield - and Swift says he gives you a defensive aspect as well as ball-carrying ability.

Unfortunately - or fortunately depending on your perspective - we didn't really get a chance to witness this ball carrying capability due to the tactics of completely bypassing the midfield altogether.  Any time Alloa looked threatening, it was due to them getting the ball down and zipping it along the deck (albeit we gifted them enough space to be able to do so).

Although we are not mathematically condemned to the play-offs, it has been apparent for quite some time that there's no way we are doing anything other than hoping for a miracle to stay up.  Mercifully Peterhead are even more of a gang than we are, so it looks like we'll have a chance via the play-offs.  But the way we are playing currently, I have the fear against any of the potential opponents we'd have from League Two.

There was a brief period in the second half where we looked like we had a bit of spark about us, provided mainly by Liam Scullion (who actually looked bright when he came on at half time).  But as soon as Alloa regained the lead, we were sunk.

What's been most depressing about the recent run of games is that we are showing absolutely no sign of progress, if anything the style of football feels completely worse to what we were getting under Danny Lennon.  If Duffy was brought in to steady the ship, it feels like more of an attempt to scuttle it.  It's akin to the Vikings in the Asterix and Obelix cartoon strips, where the Viking captain and his crew came up with increasingly unique ways of sinking their craft!  If we were losing to infinitely better teams, but we were performing reasonably well, it wouldn't feel as bad.