Aberdeen v Heart of Midlothian 18/3/23

I guess someone had to start it.

This is suddenly a massive game. A chance for Aberdeen to probably go 4th and cut the gap on us to 4 points, which given the state of them a few weeks back is commendable. 

However it's probably getting to must win territory for them in terms of chasing down 3rd. A point keeps Hearts 7 ahead and likely stretching the lead over Hibs to 6 points with them travelling to Celtic.

A Hearts win though and it'd be an absolutely huge kicker in terms of sealing 3rd, it'd pretty much rule Aberdeen out and leave Hibs clinging on by their fingernails unless they pull an unexpected win out the bag.

It's the fact there are so many ways it plays out that worries me. From a Hearts point of view, a point is a decent result and a win a great one. Faced with the two options, I know what Robbie is likely to play for and it's the one that is also most likely to see us lose.

Team wise we apparently have Shankland, Cochrane and Snodgrass back and Humphrys is touch and go for the bench. Unfortunately we'll 100% stick with the 3 at the back.

Cautiously optimistic but I think it’s going to be a very tight game 

Hearts have a few injuries and have been blowing hot and cold recently

We seem to be cutting the stupid mistakes out of our game and look a bit more solid 

Plus, the home team tends to win this fixture, we’ve won the last 6 against the diets at Pittodrie 

1-0 the Dandies 

Maybe

This is undoubtedly a must win game for us to have the remotest chance of finishing third, even then it's still extremely unlikely.  Looking forward to the match and a decent away crowd for a change, outwith you know who.

1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

Cautiously optimistic but I think it’s going to be a very tight game 

Hearts have a few injuries and have been blowing hot and cold recently

We seem to be cutting the stupid mistakes out of our game and look a bit more solid 

Plus, the home team tends to win this fixture, we’ve won the last 6 against the diets at Pittodrie 

1-0 the Dandies 

Maybe

Hearts are likely to be pretty close to full strength.

Shankland, Snodgrass, Cochrane all back & maybe Humphry’s too. 

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Hearts are likely to be pretty close to full strength.

Shankland, Snodgrass, Cochrane all back & maybe Humphry’s too. 

Still a distance from full strength, but true, most of those still out are long term injured.

I couldn't get a ticket organised in time unfortunately. Pain in the arse as I would be looking forward to it. Didn't fancy sitting in the home end. 

A draw would be fine. I suspect it'll be like the last game up there, the side that takes its chances will come out on top. Still get shivers thinking about Cochraine and Shankland's misses. 

8 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

A draw would be fine. I suspect it'll be like the last game up there, the side that takes its chances will come out on top. Still get shivers thinking about Cochraine and Shankland's misses. 

The Cochrane miss was painful, but nothing compares for horror with our entire team gently jogging after a basically crippled Duk for their second goal.

Edited by lennyzer0

2 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

The Cochrane miss was painful, but nothing compares for horror with our entire team gently jogging after a basically crippled Duk for their second goal.

One of my favourite moments of the season. Have to remind myself that it wasn’t actually duk that scored. 

Both teams have based their league positions on usually winning their home games against non-OF teams which has partly made up for a lack of wins on the road and a uniform hopelessness v Celtic and Rangers. After tomorrow, Aberdeen only have 2 of these home games left (probably v Kilmarnock and Hibs), while Hearts will have 4 (probably St Mirren, Ross County, Hibs and Aberdeen). Aberdeen also have to play Rangers before the split while Hearts are thankfully done with that shite for now.

I think winning those 4 home games would see us safe regardless of what happens tomorrow, but a draw surely knocks Aberdeen out of contention given the teams' respective run-ins. If that also gains us a point on Hibs then it's a decent result. Obviously a win would be massive.

Unfortunately I don't fancy us to get anything. Our away record is pretty poor, Aberdeen's home record is pretty decent, and our Pittodrie record in the last decade is fucking shocking. We haven't been playing well recently and I'm also not convinced the players who've been struggling with injuries will be risked either given we're about to go into the international break.

I'm not sure exactly how we should line up, but I think it's crucial we play a 3 in midfield. If we go 3-4-3 we'll lose.