Airdrie v Peterhead - Saturday 18.03.2023

Can't have there being no match thread for 2 successive Saturdays, people will think we don't care.

After last weekend you would have to think we can take 3 points from this and possibly grab a good few goals again. Last time we entertained Peterhead we only managed a draw although have beaten them up there. They have managed 1 win in 2023 and prior to that it was September 2022.

Hopefully another CalGal masterclass for us tomorrow and the manager remaining on the bench.

9 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Airdrie are a very strange team.

Yip. Without getting carried away from last two weeks, on our day we are as good as anyone in the league. Dished out a few hammerings. However, saft as shite and hide when the tough gets going (look at Dunfermline at home a few weeks ago). Hence why we won’t get through play offs (if we get there). 

1 minute ago, diamondman said:

Incisive assessment  there Ian.

I think we were all calling the no change to the starting line up. Re Gal he's not really let us down at all this season even when not scoring so as a double I don't reckon I'd have got decent odds at the bookies. He's got to have a new contract sitting in front of him/his agent for signing. Otherwise there will be a few of us rioting outside that ground.

42 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Airdrie are a very strange team.

I think we’ve had spells (occasionally full games) against every team in this league where we’ve terrorised them and looked unstoppable. The issue is if a team can withstand that pressure for long enough and get back into the game we’re done. We’re heavily reliant on momentum. It’s incredibly entertaining when we’re playing well but so frustrating.

11 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

If Peterhead don’t gut that squad they could be in trouble next season. As poor a team as I’ve seen in League One and the Highland League beckons if big changes aren’t made.

Yeah they’re the worst team I’ve seen us play for a long time. The main thing I noticed is right from the start there was no accountability or leadership, just a lot of players moaning to each other and not working anywhere near hard enough. I actually felt a bit sorry for them until they started just trying to take bodies at the end. Fair play to any Peterhead fan who bothered to sit through that.

21 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

If Peterhead don’t gut that squad they could be in trouble next season. As poor a team as I’ve seen in League One and the Highland League beckons if big changes aren’t made.

Thought this exactly. The big spenders at Cove have passed them by and I guess for the Blue Toon recruitment is made difficult by this - lads from central belt not interested in commuting north and they aren’t even in pole position for the cast offs from Aberdeen.

I remember going up to Balmoor during the ill fated Kevin McBride managerial reign where they absolutely blitzed us 3-0. How times have changed!

On 17/03/2023 at 15:07, Chapelhall chap said:

I've gone really crazy and predicted a four goal romp. However it will need an early goal or two, to open up what seems to be a defensive set up .

As to the starting eleven, yes to no change if all fit.

Crazy is as crazy does, and more. Certainly an early goal but for the only time in the game Peterhead had a good chance a minute later. Thankfully it was missed and from then on it was so easy to pass through all the phases( cliche just learned this season) that it was no surprise to see us score so many chances.  They were wide open and even when they tried to just defend, it let us keep the pressure on for the whole game.

Marvellous play from all the team especially the forward trio: great energy and movement from the midfield with Friz back to his best. The defence had so much time and lack of challenges but all won the ball back quickly.

Great to see Gal get hat trick and it might have been more and his overall line leading was top notch.

Leaves us with an interesting visit to Clyde and it will be a bit more competitive but we've done them before so I'm optimistic.

Peterhead looked like a team just thrown together to see what could be recovered, with no real drive, nor team ethos today. Well done to the hardy fans who like me in the past, stuck it out.

So Davie Robertson thinks we have improved as a team & are harder to beat, really!!! What team is he watching? For me the players he has bought in are no where good enough, for me the quicker we get rid of Bisland, Joshua, Ikwa, Fosu, Oyinsan, Walusimba, Melliuguu & Gabriel the better, hopefully the recruitment is better for next season, if not then Robertson can follow them out of the door or the highland league beckons!