Dunfermline Athletic vs FC Edinburgo City CF

Breen to go? You having a laugh? Paul Allan is only just back from injury and barely kicked a ball. He looked good before the injury. What a mental take. 

One poor performance and the rabid nonsense is gushing out our supporter’s mouths. Madness. It was an off day. It didn’t help with the injuries, conditions, and the fact Edinburgh came to play anti-football. The Dunfermline team of last season would have probably chcuked that game. 

I've never seen too much of what Allen brings in fairness. He seemed to be dropping deep with Gowser when we needed more attacking intent. Not blaming the draw on him mind, whole team was rotten and the game plan change from McPake just didn't work out this time.

We were poor yesterday, but having watched the Pars for decades, it looked very much like a game where we were going to get a sucker punch with 10 minutes to go, then ping a bunch of long balls to nobody and lose 1-0.

Instead, we ground out a 0-0 and went 9 points clear.

In all truth, we're not that great. Again, we had the chance to win 4 in a row for the first time all season but couldn't do it. We do have a squad that fights for every point though and doesn't accept defeat. It'll do for me in League One.

I can't think of a Pars team that puts a bigger shift in and gives more of a f**k than this one. The level we're at currently obviously means there's been better players at EEP but the current squads' effort and attitude is excellent. As above that'll do for me in league 1.

Edited by da_no_1

McPake clearly has us set up in such a way where we aim to do enough to win without it having to be a pumping. The optimistic part of me hopes that if we do go up, McPake realises that tactic won’t work and that we’ll aim to do a bit more than that. In the Championship, if we’re set up to narrowly win games with the expectation that we don’t concede we could expect a lot of frustrating defeats.

All we need to worry about for now though is doing enough to win the league so I won’t complain with the current approach if it does just that. 

8 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

We were poor yesterday, but having watched the Pars for decades, it looked very much like a game where we were going to get a sucker punch with 10 minutes to go, then ping a bunch of long balls to nobody and lose 1-0.

Instead, we ground out a 0-0 and went 9 points clear.

In all truth, we're not that great. Again, we had the chance to win 4 in a row for the first time all season but couldn't do it. We do have a squad that fights for every point though and doesn't accept defeat. It'll do for me in League One.

I briefly thought that thought about being hit on the sucker punch but quickly reminded myself that this team simply doesn't do that,  we have several fairly recent memories of a team that would collapsee, this one. Not a chance.  Never would I argue that was a good performance,  but we have by far the most character I've known to make sure just because we face blips doesn't mean that points aren't there to be earned/

On 18/03/2023 at 21:49, Chubbychops said:

Edinburgh got what they came for. Tried to stop/start the game, it wasnt helped by injuries to our own players.

Losing Todd early on was huge. Replacing him with that pea hearted Mochrie was the start of the game dying a death.  What a waste of talent that boy is.

Heard a few folk slagging McGowan but I though he was good in central midfield. 

We kept playing the ball out wide to Edwards( another awful performance from him) on the left instead of the brilliant KRH. Why did we keep doing that? That laddie is quality.

Got lucky today with QOS doing us a big favour but that was garbage today.  

Second part of my post is naming players to keep/lose. Few players that I would bin if/when we go up 

If I had to provide names, then Wighton, McDonald, Breen, O'Hara, Paul Allan could all go. Get Mochrie back up the road too.

The players that can take us forward if we go up?

Deniz has become so solid. Certainly keep.

Comrie is a decent championship RB.

Edwards should be but his form has been awful since the contract extention. Amazing how many times that happens. Think he will come good again though

Bene must stay not much more to add.

Chalmers is a 50/50. So bad in the championship last year and a shyte bag. Think he's done fairly well this year though.

Hamilton needs to develop his footballing skills on top of his battling abilities. Think he will get better with time. Still young . Potential there.

KRH- Yes please. Highly unlikely we keep a talent like that.

Others I've not mentioned. 

Todorov- needs to move on. Great inpact sub but that's not enough- Go

McCann- Got another year. Fine physical specimen. A handful but his ball control and awful shooting ability is not getting any better. Still young but not sure we will see much improvement.

Could make room for 5-6 new signings next year to take us forward and challenge for promotion. Hope we don't stay too loyal. I don't think McPake will. He seems ruthless.

Keep Mehmet but happy to ship out Breen? That's a very bold take.

I would far rather keep Breen than Mehmet.

3 hours ago, smpar said:

McPake clearly has us set up in such a way where we aim to do enough to win without it having to be a pumping. The optimistic part of me hopes that if we do go up, McPake realises that tactic won’t work and that we’ll aim to do a bit more than that. In the Championship, if we’re set up to narrowly win games with the expectation that we don’t concede we could expect a lot of frustrating defeats.

All we need to worry about for now though is doing enough to win the league so I won’t complain with the current approach if it does just that. 

Why won’t it work in the Championship?  Almost every successful team in that league plays just like we have done.  If we go up, strap yourself in, shitfesting is the way forward!

Having seen the likes of Ayr and Thistle in the last few weeks, I think we would be fine in the Championship with the squad we have. Need to get promoted first though.

The aim would have to be top 4 mind you, so you'd imagine we would be strengthening - albeit might be difficult to get the likes of KRH back. I also think Edwards will go, unless he has more performances like the one at the weekend.

4 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Having seen the likes of Ayr and Thistle in the last few weeks, I think we would be fine in the Championship with the squad we have. Need to get promoted first though.

The aim would have to be top 4 mind you, so you'd imagine we would be strengthening - albeit might be difficult to get the likes of KRH back. I also think Edwards will go, unless he has more performances like the one at the weekend.

I would hope for KRH for a 6 month loan, very few players can go from L1 to even lower premiership on loan.

I guess Rangers could look at a loan down south for him but I would hope that playing in a familiar team and manager would be good for his development.

11 hours ago, 101 said:

Keep Mehmet but happy to ship out Breen? That's a very bold take.

I would far rather keep Breen than Mehmet.

I think Mehmet is solid. I don't think Breen is.

He gets caught the wrong side of his man often and too many slack moments on the ball. I think he has overall had a good season. A lot of that is down to his attacking threat. He gets away with mistakes in this league.

I would be happy for him to fight for his place next year but we need a better defender for championship football. 

40 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

The money a lot of the boys who are out of contract may well be better spent elsewhere though.

Aye, heard quite a few times that Mehmet is meant to be on one of, if not the biggest wage atm. 

It's something that will undoubtedly come into McPake's mind. 

2 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

I think Mehmet is solid. I don't think Breen is.

He gets caught the wrong side of his man often and too many slack moments on the ball. I think he has overall had a good season. A lot of that is down to his attacking threat. He gets away with mistakes in this league.

I would be happy for him to fight for his place next year but we need a better defender for championship football. 

Agree with this. Think he will be punished more at a higher level, however he's still young so would like to see him given another year at least.

I imagine Todorov will be a relatively high earner as well and he isn't really been getting the game time to earn it, so wouldn't be surprised to see him go. 

I think most of the others will be offered deals and hope most stay. However I don't think there are really any who you're going to be desperately hoping they do sign on in the way we were with Fais, for example.