Barcelona

Difficult to know where to start, such an incredible place.  Park Guell, Casa Mila and Sagrada Familia are brilliant as is a trip up Montjuic in the funicular.

To eat the Four Cats is special and La Perla on Via Leitana (sp?) is great for a pizza or a bowl of pasta (house red is good if you’re into wine).  Some nice seafood restaurants around the port area too.

One of our favourite things is listening to the opera singers around the central cathedral (not Familia) in the evening.

Enjoy!

ETA - don’t know how I forgot this, but @Venti post was a reminder; the magic fountain is an absolute must.  Every likelihood that Mercury and Monserat’s anthem is one of the songs that will be played.

Edited by Granny Danger

16 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

The in laws who we haven't seen since before the pandemic have invited us to meet them in Barcelona in November.

Any recommendations / places to avoid? I know Las Ramblas is a tourist trap full of pickpockets, but other than that I'm going in blind.

I've been like 5 times now and it's a bloody wonderful city. The Metro is great to get around but as long as you're not an idiot you should be able to avoid the pickpockets. 

Las Ramblas is definitely not the place to eat or drink. Walk about 10 minutes in any direction and you'll be able to find food & drink that's much, much cheaper and much, much better. 

So as far as places to eat, there's looooooooads of options depending on whatever you're in to, so here are a few places you should consider. 

Gringa - In Raval/Poble Sec neighbourhood. Does some of the tastiest fried chicken you can get. Incredible hangover scran and has been a post Primavera Sound staple for me for years now.

See also: Gringa All Day - Like a 10 minute walk from Plaza Cataluña and does superb breakfast/brunch scran. My personal favourite is the fried chicken and waffles with a michelada to drink. 

Narciso - There's 2 branches of this. One of which is just round the corner from the cathedral in the Gothic Quarter. The wine is great and the Colloseo sandwich is a masterpiece. Highly recommend. 

Restaurante Casa Mari y Rufo - Next to Mercat de Santa Caterina and is a tiny wee hole in the wall place we stumbled across by accident. Incredible, incredible seafood done so simply. Had to really push the boundaries of my Duolingo Spanish in here because only one of the waiters spoke a little bit of English and the whole menu is Spanish. 

La Pepita - I bloody love this place. The food is outstanding. Worth a visit if you're looking for food that's a bit fancier but in still a relatively casual setting. 

El Xampanyet - Good wine, good tapas. What's not to love. 

Sightseeing wise if you're going to go to Sagrada Familia it's really cool inside. Pre book your tickets and go early though. Saves a lot of faffing about. La Boqueria is quite cool to wander around but it's alway rammed so, again, mind yourself for pickpockets. 

Parc Güell is cool and has a great view of the city. You can pay to go in to the centre of it but I wouldn't say it's strictly necessary. Montjuïc Castle is really cool for that too. You can go up in the cable car and see right across the whole city. 

Depending on how long you're there for you can jump on the train up to Girona for a day trip. The old town is like 3000 years old in parts and it's a beauuuuutiful place to have a walk around. 

If you’re walking around with in-laws and want somewhere for a coffee or light-bite lunch, or even just a good place for a lavvy break - up the top of La Rambla is a big department store El Corte Ingles at Place de Cataluyna. On the top floor is an excellent big ‘food court’ style cafe with fabulous views of Barcelona from panoramic windows. Also really good choice of pastries, sandwiches and all sorts.

Similarly, if you’re at the opposite end of La Rambla, the shopping complex at the waterfront has a good Illy Coffee shop, a Barcelona FC store, multiple other shops, and importantly, comfy and clean lavvies. Better than Cappielow in Greenock. Way, way, better than Cappielow’s lavvies.

Hope this helps. Need coffee stops and lavvies. Always. At my age. 😀

14 hours ago, atfccfc said:

Watch the underground for pickpockets too. I got caught out after attending a Barcelona match a good few years ago.

The missus started wearing her backpack as a frontpack after a young couple behind us on the escalator had it unzipped before I looked round and nothing was nicked. (Btw on the Rome metro this wee b*****d had my wallet halfway out my pocket before I moved slightly and discovered it)
@Craig fae the Vale Barcelonetta is their equivalent of Portobello and worth a visit. We were sitting on a bench there and an old couple started to ask us why we were in t-shirts and not wrapped up in coats and scarves like everybody else (it was February). Managed to dredge up ‘Escoces’ from somewhere…

• 2 weeks later...

Like above. We had a wander around the Gothic area and cathedral one night.  Came across a guy singing opera.  Out of nowhere a guy from the crowd joined in singing, absolutely stole the show.  One of those hairs on the back of your neck moments.

Judging  by the reaction of the busker it seemed a genuine thing.  Not one of those pretend set-ups.

As others say , inside the Sagrada Familia is fantastic. 

The parc guell can be seen mostly from outside but to get there definitely get a bus , the street that that leads to the top I went up was the longest steepest streets I've ever walked , think Gardner st in Glasgow and multiply it by about 4. Worth it for the views over the city , though. 

IMG_20181022_133532.jpg

IMG_20181023_133310.jpg

IMG_20181024_154920.jpg

On 28/03/2023 at 12:59, Newbornbairn said:

This

This is the guy who was a standout.  I think he appeared on some Spanish TV shows.  It’s about five years since we’ve been to Barcelona but went 11 years in a row prior to that and saw this guy on a number of occasions.

• 6 months later...

Going for my 5th time at the start of November. All expenses paid work trip to VMWorld(now VMexplore) for a pi$$ up to learn stuff

and its the 4th different way of getting there / coming back.

First 4 times it was Ryanair there and then via Paris(twice), via Germany, via London back to Edinburgh.

this time it is via Amsterdam to get there and Ryanair back the way

You'd think it would be a fairly east city to get to.

• 4 weeks later...

Arrived in Barcelona yesterday afternoon and met up with the in laws who we haven't seen since before Covid. Had a wander round the city and had dinner at Bar Tomate, which did really good tapas. 

Today was spent up at Montserrat Monestary and Basillica. Absolutely beautiful place, so much history. 

Then went to Oller Del Mas winery for lunch and a wine tasting. I didn't think I liked wine, but I have been converted. 

Currently in a bar and going for dinner soon. Day trip to Valencia tomorrow (4 hours on the train) because my father in law really wants to see the cathedral. 

20231114_113749.jpg

17 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Arrived in Barcelona yesterday afternoon and met up with the in laws who we haven't seen since before Covid. Had a wander round the city and had dinner at Bar Tomate, which did really good tapas. 

Today was spent up at Montserrat Monestary and Basillica. Absolutely beautiful place, so much history. 

Then went to Oller Del Mas winery for lunch and a wine tasting. I didn't think I liked wine, but I have been converted. 

Currently in a bar and going for dinner soon. Day trip to Valencia tomorrow (4 hours on the train) because my father in law really wants to see the cathedral. 

20231114_113749.jpg

Cathedral in Valencia is cool - they've got the Holy Grail there. Lots of good cafes nearby and quite often a market in the square outside.

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

Cathedral in Valencia is cool - they've got the Holy Grail there. Lots of good cafes nearby and quite often a market in the square outside.

Aye the Holy Grail is why my father in law wants to go see it. I'm not religious in any way, shape or form, but love old churches and their artifacts. Looking forward to a wee day trip.