Dick's Arbroath v The Famous Greenock Morton, Friday 17/3/23

Gayfield has been an absolutely miserable destination for us since Arbroath came up (zero wins since January 2020), so no great cause for optimism going into this.

In terms of squad and recent form, it's also pretty hard to predict: I think Arbroath's squad is still pretty decent and there's ways to set them up that could cause us real problems. On the other hand, Dick 'Dick' Campbell appears to have lost whatever the f**k it was he had in the first place; never been a better chance for Imrie to get the bunnet off his back...

No result would be a surprise, but I'm going to go for the hoodoo broken: 2-1 for the Ton.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

We have a fantastic recent record v Morton. Remarkably, we’re unbeaten against them this season and our 2 victories account for 50% of our wins.

For that reason it’ll either be a win for Morton or, at best, yet another draw for us.

We should be changing it and getting back to the team that works anyway, but it would be an especially bad idea to persist with the midfield of the last two games against Arbroath. They've already beaten us twice by taking total control of the midfield, and while we're never going to be able to compete with them physically we need to at least pick a team who can press them and compete for second balls. If we invite them to take control of the midfield we will inevitably lose.

McGrattan starting and having one of Gillespie or Grimshaw in midfield is essential.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

McGrattan starting and having one of Gillespie or Grimshaw in midfield is essential.

Dougie won’t let that happen! He’s been a breath of fresh air mostly but it looks to me like his inexperience has caused him to sign certain players (old pals) with a promise that they’ll have a guaranteed starting place, otherwise they might not have joined us. This has taken us from a place of quite low expectation with a limited squad, but with great team spirit, to a larger squad with some big egos (based on prior achievements) needing massaged. There will be ups and downs for all play-off challengers including Morton, but I think we’ll still be in with a shout as Dougie won’t let everything he’s done for us fly out the window because he’s made those mistakes. My main fear is that he’s struggling with that dilemma now, as he’s just told Darragh O’Connor to enjoy the rest of the season with no pressure, as our objective was just to stay in the division.

17 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Dougie won’t let that happen! He’s been a breath of fresh air mostly but it looks to me like his inexperience has caused him to sign certain players (old pals) with a promise that they’ll have a guaranteed starting place, otherwise they might not have joined us. This has taken us from a place of quite low expectation with a limited squad, but with great team spirit, to a larger squad with some big egos (based on prior achievements) needing massaged. There will be ups and downs for all play-off challengers including Morton, but I think we’ll still be in with a shout as Dougie won’t let everything he’s done for us fly out the window because he’s made those mistakes. My main fear is that he’s struggling with that dilemma now, as he’s just told Darragh O’Connor to enjoy the rest of the season with no pressure, as our objective was just to stay in the division.

Put down the bottle and step away from the computer. And stop pretending that you're a fly on the wall listening to conversations in the dressing room, in the office, and on the training ground. And stop accusing the club manager of cronyism, hiring his mates to play for us with strings attached.

Many of your historical posts have been absolute honkers. This one raises the bar to a whole new level.

Edited by Chippyminton

Since the start of the season Arbroath have been devoid of a creative championship level striker - the season will finish as it started with Arbroath struggling to score goals.

Expect Arbroath to dominate much of the match, but will struggle to create much up front.

I’d settle for a 1-0 home win.

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

There all must wins for us so we need to go baws out to get the 3 points. 

Yep but we’ll no doubt line up the same way as we always do. We have to take the shackles off and go for it from the first minute but we won’t. Same tactics, same outcome imo unfortunately.

11 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Arbroath 3 Morton 0 🇱🇻🔥⚽️ 

Upto 8th 💪 

Next… Thank you 

We might not win on Saturday, but only twice this season have we lost a league game by more than a single goal. Can’t see us losing 3-0 to you guys this week.

.……and you’re welcome.

17 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

We might not win on Saturday, but only twice this season have we lost a league game by more than a single goal. Can’t see us losing 3-0 to you guys this week.

.……and you’re welcome.

We won't win on Saturday also hopefully Friday night & help fat Dick & the Rid Lichties on the road to Division 1..

Back 5 picks itself

Balde

Hetherington

Stewart/Dow

McKenna

Linn

Hilson

thoroughly cannot be arsed watching Olusanya or Komolafe so why not bring Hilson in. He's not a goal threat but his link play is considerably better than the other two I've mentioned. We would've been better off just keeping Shanks than either of them. 

Have managed up for most games at Arbroath since they have come up.

But it was cauld last time and looks nae better this Friday so any chance AFC discount the away tickets to entice me on Friday night.

Plus, would be nice if you let's us will.

See 1 v 1 all over it.

3 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Back 5 picks itself

Balde

Hetherington

Stewart/Dow

McKenna

Linn

Hilson

thoroughly cannot be arsed watching Olusanya or Komolafe so why not bring Hilson in. He's not a goal threat but his link play is considerably better than the other two I've mentioned. We would've been better off just keeping Shanks than either of them. 

Probably the best lineup we have. Terrible to think that Hilson still carries as much/more threat than any of our new guys.

Even though I think it’s probably as much to do with how we play than the individuals involved (Erling Haaland would struggle to score for us ffs). Of the 9/10 players we’ve tried as striker this season, Shanks looked (imo) by far the most capable and biggest threat we had.

The loan to Peterhead is a disaster for him… and us. How can he possibly develop, gain confidence or score goals playing for a team that are getting pumped every week? They only have 2 wins, 12 points and 13 goals all season. A record so bad that it makes ours look impressive.

He should have been kept or loaned to a top half L2 side or back to the HL. I fear he’ll never get a proper chance for us.

Edited by Tattie36

13 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Probably the best lineup we have. Terrible to think that Hilson still carries as much/more threat than any of our new guys.

Even though I think it’s probably as much to do with how we play than the individuals involved (Erling Haaland would struggle to score for us ffs). Of the 9/10 players we’ve tried as striker this season, Shanks looked (imo) by far the most capable and biggest threat we had.

The loan to Peterhead is a disaster for him… and us. How can he possibly develop, gain confidence or score goals playing for a team that are getting pumped every week? They only have 2 wins, 12 points and 13 goals all season. A record so bad that it makes ours look impressive.

He should have been kept or loaned to a top half L2 side or back to the HL. I fear he’ll never get a proper chance for us.

Would imagine the location would play a part for Shanks, think he lives up that way.  I think he should have been given more of a chance aswel, at least a run of games anyway. Saying that not convinced he is at championship level.