Another banking sector collapse?

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

This isn’t my area so the following might be a load of bollocks. 

This isn’t a straight up repeat of Lehman and Northern Rock. 

So what you are saying is do not buy?

43 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Which are you then? 

Don’t answer that btw.

Is there a difference between “fairly well paid” and “relatively well paid”? Shyster and clueless is self evident.

The Tech companies that rely on this bank to pay for their wages and suppliers are in effect fundamentally bust.  They are propped up in theory by  "cheap" money.

When "money" is not cheap expect more Tech to bite the dust.

Not sure I am that sympathetic to those UK Tech start up companies that do not have some cash hidden elsewhere to at least pay for a jar of coffee.

Edited by superbigal

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

f**k knows, I’m skint most of the time. 

I’m doing ok for now, but it’s nothing a banking crisis and impending unemployment wouldn’t fix.

tbf to the bankers when the central bank declares their intention is to cause a recession by raising interest rates this is partly how it happens.

The bank had a lot of safe long term investments but they no longer yielded enough return when the Fed repeatedly hike interest rates over a short period. The Fed getting credit for saving depositors money when this is a crisis they created.

And there is no evidence hiking rates was going to make a dent in inflation mainly driven by the cost of energy increasing due to a war and embargoes against one of the world's largest energy producers.

And as for the bank run itself. Caused by panicking CEOs on their group chat. If they had done nothing the bank would have restructured their assets and while the banks own profits would have suffered there would be no harm to depositers.

14 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

And as for the bank run itself. Caused by panicking CEOs on their group chat. If they had done nothing the bank would have restructured their assets and while the banks own profits would have suffered there would be no harm to depositers.

Primary cause, in the case of SVB, was a run on deposits caused by VC (Venture or Vulture Capitalist) companies advising their investments to pull funds from SVB “just in case”, which resulted in the bank being unable to sell enough assets to meet capital requirements in the short term.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Eight years ago the CEO of SVB was asking Congress for, and got, reduced regulation due to a lack is risks…

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/11/silicon-valley-bank-weaken-risk-regulations-svb

Indeed. This article gives some additional detail.

https://theintercept.com/2023/03/11/silicon-valley-bank-used-former-mccarthy-staffers-to-weaken-regulations-lobby-fdic/

Looks like America is going to back all deposits with a very generous loan scheme. No indication that they'll be taking any more of the profits for the society that's going to bear the liquidity risk. 

I'd imagine the Tories are quite aroused by the lack of media attention it's getting and are furiously scribbling it into the budget so they'll never pay for lunch in the city again. 

On 13/03/2023 at 13:40, superbigal said:

The Tech companies that rely on this bank to pay for their wages and suppliers are in effect fundamentally bust.  They are propped up in theory by  "cheap" money.

When "money" is not cheap expect more Tech to bite the dust.

Not sure I am that sympathetic to those UK Tech start up companies that do not have some cash hidden elsewhere to at least pay for a jar of coffee.

At a guess, I'd say that  until the day they went bust, SVB on both sides of the Atlantic gave their customers far better service than the ordinary.

Anyone who has ever had an account with HSBC will know how dismal they can be.  I'd be surprised if many of HSBC's new, ex-SVB, account holders stick around for long under the new ownership.

22 hours ago, TxRover said:

Eight years ago the CEO of SVB was asking Congress for, and got, reduced regulation due to a lack is risks…

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/11/silicon-valley-bank-weaken-risk-regulations-svb

In other parts of the world even tiny institutions had to comply with all the new regulations brought in by the Basel III agreement

In the United states smaller "Community Banks" were largely exempted 

Presumably because they weren't considered too big to fail. 

Silicon Valley Bank was about as big as a bank could get while still not having to deal with all that extra annoying paperwork