QP v Inverness

5 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but Cathkin Park is a totally different thing to Cathkin Braes which are several miles away.

Apologies for the mixing the two up.

I knew about Cathkin and Hampden, as for the Braes I had close relatives in Rutherglen and Springhall. 

2 hours ago, GM1867 said:

Sandy, the Cathkin Braes are up the hill from Hampden - past Castlemilk and towards East Kilbride. The original Hampden is across the road (and railway) from Cathkin. Queen's had to move when the railway was being built so built the new Hampden at what became Cathkin. The original Cathkin was down the hill from the current one. It was next to the old drill ground of the 3rd Lanarkshire Rifles (it was originally a regimental team) between what is now Dixon Road and Allison Street.

Here's a photo of the original Cathkin during a Scotland England match - not sure of the date.

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 17.37.37.png

Think you will find that the drill hall and ground, for 3rd Lanarkshire Rifles, was in Butterbiggans road off Victoria Road.

37 minutes ago, sophia said:

Are you suggesting that there is a cohort in Dundee that are wishing good fortune to Billy Dodds et al?

The lesser of two evils…sort of.  

49 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Think you will find that the drill hall and ground, for 3rd Lanarkshire Rifles, was in Butterbiggans road off Victoria Road.

Yes, thanks, Dooflick. The HQ of the 3rd Lanarkshire Volunteers Rifles was built in Coplaw Street and they played their first games at the ground there. They then moved to better land for football, owned by Dixons Ironworks, next to the Drill Ground at Cathcart Road, Dixon Rd and Aitkenhead Road as shown on this map. 

A fine club with a fine history (until 1967).

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 21.12.07.png

15 minutes ago, GM1867 said:

Yes, thanks, Dooflick. The HQ of the 3rd Lanarkshire Volunteers Rifles was built in Coplaw Street and they played their first games at the ground there. They then moved to better land for football, owned by Dixons Ironworks, next to the Drill Ground at Cathcart Road, Dixon Rd and Aitkenhead Road as shown on this map. 

The Drill Ground on Dixon Road was the venue for the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show from the first to the sixth of August 1904. By that time the adjacent original Cathkin Park was lying empty as Thirds had moved up the road to their new Cathkin Park, i.e. the recently vacated Second Hampden.

Buffalo Bill's visit to Ibrox for the Rangers v Queen's Park Glasgow Cup tie was during the show's extended residency in 1891-92 at the former East End Industrial Exhibition Hall in Dennistoun. Queen's won 3-0.

I think we might be getting off topic here.

I certainly do blame Sandy Cromarty! 😁

Just to even things up - the Buffalo Bill tour of 1904 performed in Inverness on the 2nd and 3rd of September. The venue was a field on Dalneigh Farm, near Bruce Gardens, opposite Victoria Park. The area is now covered by housing but the field was probably near the present day Laurel Avenue.

Edited by Spidersmad

12 hours ago, GM1867 said:

Blame SandyCromarty! (but it's been fun and educational)

Blame Me???? I mix up the Cathkins

And then there follows a plethora/tsunami of corrections and weird explanations, Buffalo Bill ffs.

A detailed map showing the Boer War veterans drill hall.

An explanation of the sites of the Buffalo Bill shows in Inverness, The Drill Ground on Dixon Road  and Ibrox.

The 1891 Glasgow Cup held at the East Ends Industrial Exhibition Hall in Denniston.

The headquarters of the 3rd Lanarkshire Volunteer Rifles in Coplaw Street.

It's the Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup Final between Celtic and Rangers at first Cathkin in May 1895

Dixons Ironworks football park. 

Aye blame me for all that nonsense and time putting it together.

Dearie me Spiders you need to get yer heeds out of yer arses and stop living in the past.

Memories don't fill trophy Cabinets

6 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

And then there follows a plethora/tsunami of corrections and weird explanations, Buffalo Bill ffs.

A detailed map showing the Boer War veterans drill hall.

An explanation of the sites of the Buffalo Bill shows in Inverness, The Drill Ground on Dixon Road  and Ibrox.

The 1891 Glasgow Cup held at the East Ends Industrial Exhibition Hall in Denniston.

The headquarters of the 3rd Lanarkshire Volunteer Rifles in Coplaw Street.

It's the Glasgow Merchants' Charity Cup Final between Celtic and Rangers at first Cathkin in May 1895

Dixons Ironworks football park. 

Aye blame me for all that nonsense and time putting it together.

A great summary of all the interesting stuff you've learned. Dundee, Morton and Inverness fans may hijack match threads with gratuitous abuse but QP fans will overwhelm you with fascinating historical information.

As for the game - Queen's have been blowing hot and cold recently, Inverness are on a high with a possible cup final looming, so I'm not confident about this one at all. A 1-1 draw.

14 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

A great summary of all the interesting stuff you've learned. Dundee, Morton and Inverness fans may hijack match threads with gratuitous abuse but QP fans will overwhelm you with fascinating historical information.

As for the game - Queen's have been blowing hot and cold recently, Inverness are on a high with a possible cup final looming, so I'm not confident about this one at all. A 1-1 draw.

Absolutely no abuse on my part with my post, all I did was highlight how spider fans seem obsessed with their ancient, (footballing wise), history it's almost like a defence mechanism in describing the shorts and shirts of  a game that was played well over a 173 years ago, that was exemplified by the immediate and extensive posts to my singular Cathkin mistake, ott I thought was an understatement, Buffilo Bill shows and ancient Victorion army drill halls for god sake.

This weeks game I think will be a tough one for us and tbh I would be happy with a 1-1 away as you suggest, we've enjoyed two great SC results but I believe in ' A shitecart follows The Lord Mayors show'.

Sandy - we're getting a plethora of stick for the present day success; we can't win. Well, actually, we are winning and hopefully we continue that on Saturday.

We do have a history that's unrivalled in Scotland and we'll keep reminding the rest of you how great it is. We might well add to it this year; we'll see.

5 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

Our bread and butter league form has not been good enough so I would expect a 4-0 horsing from your lot. Any less would be failure on your part.

4 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Sandy - we're getting a plethora of stick for the present day success; we can't win. Well, actually, we are winning and hopefully we continue that on Saturday.

We do have a history that's unrivalled in Scotland and we'll keep reminding the rest of you how great it is. We might well add to it this year; we'll see.

It is rivaled and unfortunately most of it occured before the official Scottish Leagues were formed, you weren't even admitted when they were formed.

Queen's Park once admitted to the Scottish League spent much of the early years say pre WW1 and then onto before the 2nd WW in and around the bottom of the top flight and or being a yoyo club. So many times finishing in the bottom three or four.

It's a myth to claim your club was ever one of the big boys of Scottish Football.

2 hours ago, approximately dave said:

It is rivaled and unfortunately most of it occured before the official Scottish Leagues were formed, you weren't even admitted when they were formed.

Queen's Park once admitted to the Scottish League spent much of the early years say pre WW1 and then onto before the 2nd WW in and around the bottom of the top flight and or being a yoyo club. So many times finishing in the bottom three or four.

It's a myth to claim your club was ever one of the big boys of Scottish Football.

Strange post. I don't think anyone has ever claimed that the club's history, importance, and influence on the game are in any way tied to performance in the leagues.

Edited by Zanetti