QP v Inverness

That was one sided a contest as I've seen for a while. Queens Park were streets ahead of us for large parts of that match.

Decent opening to the game with Eze missing two glorious chances when he had free headers from corners but he would eventually get his goal later. It was surprising that we didn't really seem to know how to counter him and were content to keep letting him win header after header almost scoring each time. 

Danny MacKay had a great chance to open the scoring after a nice phase of passing play saw him scamper in behind the Queens back line but he lost his footing and shot right at Ferrie. But he was to open the scoring when a long ball forward bounced off the back of Mckay and Mackay raced onto it to place a wonderful low shot beyond Ferrie at full stretch to give us the lead. Queens seemed to lose their way after this for the rest of the first half but regained their composure in the second and utterly dominated the rest of the match.

The equaliser arrived when a cross from the ICT right found Savoury in acres of space with no ICT defender near him and he placed his wider beyond Ridgers to bring QP level. Despite this being the umpteenth warning to us to try and defend crosses into the box we decided to, erm, not do this and instead let Eze have another header from a cross almost unchallenged and he found the net this time to put the home side ahead. 

Mckay and Devine had decent chances for us to head in equalisers and Samuels fired a late effort right at Ferrie but Queens were easily deserving of the win especially as we ran out of ideas and blootered long balls to Mckay to try and win against tow defenders with an average height of about 8 ft.

Bizarre decision to sub Allardice when he was probably our best midfielder and Samuels continues to be quite unimpressive in his outings. MacGregor got a few minutes before appearing to catch his studs in the pitch and had to be taken off inured so that's swell. We just didn't seem able to cope with the intensity and pace of Queens Park who moved the ball so quickly whilst we were relatively slow and ponderous when we had it. The gulf between the sides was there for all to see.

Even if Queens don't win the league I'd imagine they will fancy their chances to go all the way in the playoffs and it's hard to argue they don't deserve it.

Edited by RiG

3 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

A comment on Twitter from someone who spoke to him after the game suggests he'll be absolutely fine.

Good news.  He looked pretty unhappy walking off at half-time.  On that note a special mention for Longridge, thought he played really well today

First half I thought QP were pretty poor. Sloppy passing and poor communication of when to make runs. The tempo was a bit pedestrian too also. It’s clear teams like Inverness, Cove and Arbroath (especially when away from home) will sit in and look to frustrate, trying to hit us on the counter. Need to be a bit quicker v Arbroath to unlock that defence. Then we started thumping it long which has never worked.  Frustrating to lose the goal after a bit of gamesmanship from the Caley player but it was finished well by MacKay. 

A great goal from Savoury after a brilliant cross from Shields to equalise. Eze’s header also is one of the best I’ve ever seen in flesh. Inch perfect. I thought Davidson did okay in midfield and had some excellent runs forward. I do wish him and co. wouldn’t be so terrified to shoot though. There’s a bit of a tendency to shirk a shot now and then. Longridge and Healy did well coming on too. 

1 hour ago, The Spiderman said:

First half I thought QP were pretty poor. Sloppy passing and poor communication of when to make runs. The tempo was a bit pedestrian too also. It’s clear teams like Inverness, Cove and Arbroath (especially when away from home) will sit in and look to frustrate, trying to hit us on the counter. Need to be a bit quicker v Arbroath to unlock that defence. Then we started thumping it long which has never worked.  Frustrating to lose the goal after a bit of gamesmanship from the Caley player but it was finished well by MacKay. 

A great goal from Savoury after a brilliant cross from Shields to equalise. Eze’s header also is one of the best I’ve ever seen in flesh. Inch perfect. I thought Davidson did okay in midfield and had some excellent runs forward. I do wish him and co. wouldn’t be so terrified to shoot though. There’s a bit of a tendency to shirk a shot now and then. Longridge and Healy did well coming on too. 

Queens struggled first half because we pressed relatively high, cut the passing lanes off to your attackers and forced you into longer balls. I think your best form of defence is your attack, the defence itself isn’t all that great. 

The second half was the complete opposite, Inverness dropped deep and allowed Queens to get their good attackers on the ball and dominate.

I sincerely hope it was Queens who pushed us deep through good play / good tactics rather than an instruction on Inverness’ part as it killed us.

27 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Disappointing result and killed off any slim plsy-off hopes, but once all the players return we will be better.

Got to agree, with all these injuries it must be hard to field a full team, so pleased that the manager is sure that we will be firing on all cylinders once he has all the injured players back.

Sarcasm aside, it's nice financially to have the cup run but our bread and butter is the Championship and the desire to see our team back in the premier, the play offs are, more than likely, out of our reach, however we should be playing to win the league not hoping to sneak into play offs.

So with that I hope the board, when deciding on contracts, put the Cup to one side and base their decision on our woeful season.

10 hours ago, NorthStand10 said:

Queens struggled first half because we pressed relatively high, cut the passing lanes off to your attackers and forced you into longer balls. 

Said exactly that at half time. As poor as we were a lot of it was down to Caley pressing us high and we struggled and just launched balls to Shields. Even our movement in the first half was poor which is very unlike us, but I think a lot of that was down to Jack Thomson being out and then Mal (pray hes ok) going off injured. 

2nd half was night and day and big Eze’s header was a cracker. The mentality of the team in the 2nd half was one of the most pleasing aspects though. Would’ve been easy to panic and if we hadn’t won it would’ve been “Are QP bottling it?” but the players shut up (myself included) those who doubted their ability to turn it around. 

Buzzing. 

13 hours ago, The Spiderman said:

First half I thought QP were pretty poor. Sloppy passing and poor communication of when to make runs. The tempo was a bit pedestrian too also. It’s clear teams like Inverness, Cove and Arbroath (especially when away from home) will sit in and look to frustrate,

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

So with that I hope the board, when deciding on contracts, put the Cup to one side and base their decision on our woeful season.

f**k that Sandy, the minute somebody starts putting us in the same bracket as Cove and Arbroath the board can base their decision on that…

Edited by The Mantis

3 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Disappointing result and killed off any slim plsy-off hopes, but once all the players return we will be better.

I’ll be honest bdu pal you’re beginning to concern me.

Whenever we get a good result you’re dead silent and nowhere to be seen, when we lose a match you’re here front and centre shouting your negative mouth off, why are you like that?

At least Sandy Cromarty makes some valid points to go alongside his obsession with Billy Dodds.

Edited by NorthStand10