Raith vs Cove, 18/3/2023

A battered Raith team hoping a number of player become available versus a staggering Cove in real danger of dropping into the playoff spot. Will Raith have a true RB and more than one DM? Will Cove find the form that had them beat Partick last month, or was that the last , dead cat bounce from the managerial change over?

Personally, Cove’s recent play has been pretty woeful, but the showing against Queen’s Park was definitely a step up. I’m not sure what to expect from the Rovers after back to back 3-0 losses. It should be a return to better form if Brown is available, but without him a deep uneasiness seems to pervade the team, even if they managed a respectable showing versus Rangers using bubble gum and bailing wire.

Millen is definetly out and 50/50 for the challenge ge cup final, although young Masson is proving capable (Dundee 3 at the back fiasco exuded). I hope Brown will be back. 

Realistically Rovers need a win here, we are on back to back 3-0 defeats today is a one off game but the Partick game was appalling. 

25 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

We should be fine defensively, but theres still no goals coming from anywhere that's the big worry 

Not sure about that. Millen is out…Brown is getting better, but not assured…Masson came off proactively with a tight hammy, so we’ll have to wait an see…Ngwenya is in the sandbox and unavailable…not quite sure how fine that is, cause there ain’t no backup plan.

Murray said last week that Brown would be back next week if he missed today so there's no reason to believe he won't play next week. I suspect he was probably one of the injured players, maybe with Gullan, that Murray referred to that had made themselves available for today. 

Just realised that we haven't won at home in the league for more than 4 months. A pretty dire record that needs sorted. 

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Murray said last week that Brown would be back next week if he missed today so there's no reason to believe he won't play next week. I suspect he was probably one of the injured players, maybe with Gullan, that Murray referred to that had made themselves available for today. 

Just realised that we haven't won at home in the league for more than 4 months. A pretty dire record that needs sorted. 

Absolutely true…but as we’ve learned this year, until he’s better and playing…same applies to Masson, he was interviewed and said he feels fine, but until at least Tuesday, we won’t know.

On 12/03/2023 at 20:03, Ro Sham Bo said:

The season we do well through the Winter is the season we win the league. Not this season obviously.

Our unbridled success in the diddy cup and our decent run in the Scottish Cup will just have to do.

Looking at the table, this is a fairly important game for us.

1DF7FBAE-E361-45EC-8363-ABDD804A4537.jpeg

Edited by Scary Bear

Match day closing in again and same situation again, we're desperately needing points and to turn the tide. 1 win in 11 in all competitions is a dismal run but there are definitely positive signs, more stability and balance in the side, and with Mitch and Shay back this week we'll be believing we can turn our improved performances into points.

We were competitive last week against the Spiders and looked deserving of a point until a late own goal. Had chances of our own but bar and post prevented us from getting on the scoresheet. We weren't far off it against Dundee the week before and dropped points from winning positions against Morton and Arbroath. Need to be switched on the whole game or will get punished and have been.

Last time around at Stark's Park we got our arses well and truly handed to us and the game was over early. Ended 3 but could have been more. Will be a tough task but we come into it with some confidence

We haven't been in the bottom two since since the 17th September but that could change tonight if Arbroath get a victory at Gayfield against Morton. It should have happened before now with the January/February we turned in. We'll be hoping our bad run is behind us.

If the Lichties get a win, which they are capable of, we'll need to show even more character.

Rovers missing a few players. Like the midfield options in Easton, Stanton, Connolly but Brown is very much a linchpin/anchor so be interesting to see if he returns or is only fit enough for the bench. Haven't rated Akio from what I've seen of him so far (cue him scoring tomorrow). Plenty of effort but doesn't look natural in front of goal. Both he and Isma have got goals since their arrival so not all bad 

Rovers  still looking up and with a decent shout of promotion playoffs if they turn draws into wins

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Rovers missing a few players. Like the midfield options in Easton, Stanton, Connolly but Brown is very much a linchpin/anchor so be interesting to see if he returns or is only fit enough for the bench. Haven't rated Akio from what I've seen of him so far (cue him scoring tomorrow). Plenty of effort but doesn't look natural in front of goal. Both he and Isma have got goals since their arrival so not all bad 

Rovers  still looking up and with a decent shout of promotion playoffs if they turn draws into wins

According to Ian Murray Scott Brown will be ready for tomorrow (I sincerely hope so), Ethan Ross returned in the game against Rangers and looked really promising, long may that continue. Gullan pretty much out for the season and Vaughn still looks a little off the pace so Isma and Akio probably our main attacking options, jury is still out on the pair for me although Isma would be the preferred option.

Promotion playoffs while still possible, a pipe dream IMO.

Please no more injuries before the diddy cup final. 

Edited by keyser_soze

49 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

According to Ian Murray Scott Brown will be ready for tomorrow (I sincerely hope so), Ethan Ross returned in the game against Rangers and looked really promising, long may that continue. Gullan pretty much out for the season and Vaughn still looks a little off the pace so Isma and Akio probably our main attacking options, jury is still out on the pair for me although Isma would be the preferred option.

Promotion playoffs while still possible, a pipe dream IMO.

Please no more injuries before the diddy cup final. 

Always rated Scott Brown. Great seeing him back at a full time club. Was awesome for Peterhead for many seasons as well as last season in a midfield that comprised of him, Ryan Duncan and Grant Savoury. All very talented players.

Had almost forgot about Ethan. Rovers have a wealth of talent in the midfield areas. A striker and you'd be flying high.  Playoffs still possible but granted would take a stellar run.

For Cove, I hope we get Shay starting at RB as Naismith looks seriously out of place there. Our centre back pairing worries me and wasn't addressed in the window.

Predict we might start like below. Thought Dunne did very well at Ochilview last week with his energy and pace so would be in contention for a start 

Blair Yule still out although returned to light training this week. He and Fyvie are massive misses for us.

Screenshot_2023-03-17-17-14-57-92_c0dc27f5c07cb0fb3541d6073dfd6932.jpg

Inside tomorrow's programme:

Interviews with Robbie Thomson and tomorrow's FPA guest Todd Lumsden,

Reports and photos from the Ayr, Partick and Rangers games,

A piece on International Women's Day,

From the San Starko to Hayes Lane,

Report and photos from the 92/93 anniversary dinner last Saturday,

Plus the usual:

Manager's Notes,

Mascots feature,

On this day,

Memory Match from our first ever visit to the Balmoral,

Quiz, Stats and Team Lines.

Only £3 in and around the ground.

Frb-HteXwAYQ_2g.jpeg

Edited by Specky Ginger

It would be nice to win this after two 3-0 losses, but I don't think it really matters. We went through weeks and weeks of "this is a season defining game" where a win would've pushed us up into playoff contention and a loss would've dragged us down, but we drew them all. 

Even if we have a terrible run in, there's no way two of Cove, Arbroath and Hamilton overhaul a ten point gap. Conversely, if we're brilliant between now and the end of the season, we still need three of the five teams above us to be pretty abject, and there just aren't enough teams in the league. Pretty much every week teams we're trying to overtake are going to be playing each other. Someone's going to end up putting points on the board. 

So it's really just a case of going out today, putting a shift in, probably getting another draw, looking forward to next weekend's cup final and then turning attention to planning for next season. 

16 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

It would be nice to win this after two 3-0 losses, but I don't think it really matters. We went through weeks and weeks of "this is a season defining game" where a win would've pushed us up into playoff contention and a loss would've dragged us down, but we drew them all. 

Even if we have a terrible run in, there's no way two of Cove, Arbroath and Hamilton overhaul a ten point gap. Conversely, if we're brilliant between now and the end of the season, we still need three of the five teams above us to be pretty abject, and there just aren't enough teams in the league. Pretty much every week teams we're trying to overtake are going to be playing each other. Someone's going to end up putting points on the board. 

So it's really just a case of going out today, putting a shift in, probably getting another draw, looking forward to next weekend's cup final and then turning attention to planning for next season. 

You’ve really got my engine roaring for today with that.  

To be honest, you want to kick the can down the road as far as possible.  Meaningless games at this level,  when you play teams 4 x a season, are absolutely fucking grim - want to put that off as far as possible.