Sons vs Bviorn arseol

We recorded the podcast before the game (will drop next week) and we were talking about Charlie Reilly a fair whack. I said if I could choose one player in the league to sign for Sons he'd be that man, purely because I would happily pay money every week to watch him. Today showed why.

Enjoy him whilst you've got him, Rovers fans. Because guys like him are once every 25 years for clubs like us. He's a really special talent.

In saying that, Joe Bevan looks an excellent find too. I echo OKI's Rashford comments, that's exactly what he was like. The first goal especially was pure Rashford and he never looked like missing. He's so smart on the ball too, selfless and a scrapper. Terrifying he's only 18 as well. I'd kill for someone like him up top for us.

I could rant and ramble about our showing, but I've written my report and the back page of the paper. And I can't be arsed re-living it again.

We were absolutely diabolical all over the park, and Brett Long is the only guy deserving of pass marks for preventing it being seven or eight.

I've no idea what Faz does to lift the team after that, but hopefully the players will find a response like they did following the Elgin match.

As painful as it was as a Dumbarton, I enjoyed Rovers' performance from a football point of view. The first-half was as good a half as I think I've seen from a team at the Rock ever. Totally dominant, winning every second ball. A striker who scored two good goals and caused us no end of bother, and two absolutely stunning strikes from midfielders. Charlie Reilly's was one of the best hits of a football I can remember. It was glorious stuff.

Enjoy your night lads. Given the amount of players we've swapped over the years, I've always had a soft spot for Albion Rovers and nobody from a Sons side could begrudge you that today. Especially after a couple of smash and grab wins in Coatbridge.

I'm away for a cry in a dark room.

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The club only have themselves to blame. After stringing together a couple of right good performances and results we then have a two week lay off whilst all the other teams continued to play. All momentum killed stone dead. 

Would that have made a difference today? Who knows, by all accounts Albion Rovers were every bit as good as we were bad, but our players not kicking a ball for a fortnight certainly wont have helped matters. The decision to continue the partnership with that daft Rangers B and the decision to continue with a groundsman who clearly isn’t skilled enough to maintain a pitch deserves huge criticism. 

We are now down to the bare bones squad wise and I can guarantee you that will not improve the more our players have to play on that disgrace of a pitch.

Rovers game last Saturday was also off BTW.

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Just when you think it can’t get any worse, I’m told Julia Roberts was there today, but supporting Albion Rovers.

Damn, you could have naked mud wrestled her on the pitch for a half time show.  Holy waste of opportunity Batman.

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Just when you think it can’t get any worse, I’m told Julia Roberts was there today, but supporting Albion Rovers.

Her old man hails from Coatbrig as 100% confirmed by the Daily Record 🤣

Managed to watch the first four goals on the highlights before I had to turn it off. I’d genuinely never play Greg Wylde again, his defending at that 1st goal is right up there with one of the worst attempts at defending I have ever witnessed in my life. An utter shitebag of a player and the fact Stevie Farrell thinks he’s 2nd in line for the armband is absolutely mind blowing.  

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I should add from the 3 seconds I saw of him from the highlights Russell McLean looks like he can’t be arsed even attempting to look interested. 

From what I've seen of him and it's about 2.20 in the highlights that shows it. He seems to spend a hell of a lot of time trying to draw fouls rather than doing anything else. 

34 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

From what I've seen of him and it's about 2.20 in the highlights that shows it. He seems to spend a hell of a lot of time trying to draw fouls rather than doing anything else. 

I've only seen him at the East Fife game - and he was totally ineffective.

Edited by rockson

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Managed to watch the first four goals on the highlights before I had to turn it off. I’d genuinely never play Greg Wylde again, his defending at that 1st goal is right up there with one of the worst attempts at defending I have ever witnessed in my life. An utter shitebag of a player and the fact Stevie Farrell thinks he’s 2nd in line for the armband is absolutely mind blowing.  

He was done in the same way about 4 times in the first half before I chucked it. Hopeless.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I should add from the 3 seconds I saw of him from the highlights Russell McLean looks like he can’t be arsed even attempting to look interested. 

I've seen most of his appearances and yet to see what he offers.

Dumbarton have got off lightly v rovers 3 times this season

Reilly will be in premiership/championship next year, my best bet would be Dundee or Kilmarnock

Not only is Bevan only 18, I'm pretty sure he only turned 18 at the start of January, his physical size for a boy of that age is impressive alone

Also just to note, this is Rovers first win in Dumbarton since 2001, the first time Rovers visited the rock,

Currently in Budapest with work and have now missed my third game this season while away on different work jollies, 1-0 win v Stranrear, 4-0 win v Stranraer, and now 5-1 win v Dumbarton.

I may not come back home  

Edited by Chris_the_rover