Cheltenham 2023

Day 3 is my quietest day in terms of bets and antepost value. Didn’t fancy it much compared to the first 2 days and with Shoot First pulled from the pertemps there isn’t much to shout about. 

I think Mighty Potter wins the turners but couldn’t be having and odds on shot even antepost I didn’t see any value in the favourite. I’ve taken it on with 2 selections. Banbridge would have been one had the ground not been so soft but with another rough weather day forecast it was easy for me to side with Appreciate It and Stage Star. 

I’ve mentioned my dismay with this race now and I just couldn’t settle on a convincing replacement despite my best efforts. A few ok looking horses at the top of the market and 2 that popped out a little were thanksforthehelp and walking on Air. I ended up going to the other end of the market though and came up with 3 all at a price. Itchy Feet, Wakool and Coltor all 40/1 or more. 

The Ryanair has Shiskin odds on. It’s one I do have antepost and also on Envoi Allen due to its Cheltenham record. 

The stayers I just couldn’t split them at the top of the market and went antepost with Flooring Porter but it’s a tentative selection with plenty cases to be made for each horse. Also heart ruled the head here with Paisley Park (love this horse) and Sire De Berlais e/w (80/1). 

In the plate I had Mars Harper at 14s. I fucked that with it pretty much doubling in price after lasts week so topped up again now it’s 25s and I will have a look at either datsalrightgino or fugitif tomorrow too. 

Luccia strong fav for the mares and she is on a treble with Shiskin and mighty potter so I am on the two Zoe’s for win purposes. 

2 again at a price also in the Kim Muir with Fontaine Collognes and Ballykeel getting the nod but not and overly strong opinion on this race. 

Friday looking a lot healthier than day 3 but still hoping for a few results. I didn’t want to get carried away just for the sake of it though. 

8 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Day 3 is my quietest day in terms of bets and antepost value. Didn’t fancy it much compared to the first 2 days and with Shoot First pulled from the pertemps there isn’t much to shout about. 

I think Mighty Potter wins the turners but couldn’t be having and odds on shot even antepost I didn’t see any value in the favourite. I’ve taken it on with 2 selections. Banbridge would have been one had the ground not been so soft but with another rough weather day forecast it was easy for me to side with Appreciate It and Stage Star. 

I’ve mentioned my dismay with this race now and I just couldn’t settle on a convincing replacement despite my best efforts. A few ok looking horses at the top of the market and 2 that popped out a little were thanksforthehelp and walking on Air. I ended up going to the other end of the market though and came up with 3 all at a price. Itchy Feet, Wakool and Coltor all 40/1 or more. 

The Ryanair has Shiskin odds on. It’s one I do have antepost and also on Envoi Allen due to its Cheltenham record. 

The stayers I just couldn’t split them at the top of the market and went antepost with Flooring Porter but it’s a tentative selection with plenty cases to be made for each horse. Also heart ruled the head here with Paisley Park (love this horse) and Sire De Berlais e/w (80/1). 

In the plate I had Mars Harper at 14s. I fucked that with it pretty much doubling in price after lasts week so topped up again now it’s 25s and I will have a look at either datsalrightgino or fugitif tomorrow too. 

Luccia strong fav for the mares and she is on a treble with Shiskin and mighty potter so I am on the two Zoe’s for win purposes. 

2 again at a price also in the Kim Muir with Fontaine Collognes and Ballykeel getting the nod but not and overly strong opinion on this race. 

Friday looking a lot healthier than day 3 but still hoping for a few results. I didn’t want to get carried away just for the sake of it though. 

Great stuff...apart from shiskin I think this will be the bookies day 

3 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

80/1 f**k off. f**k rite off I am dreaming ain’t I 

Can I be impertinent and ask how much you had staked? 

Couldnt pick my own nose today and all the previous two days profits now gone! 🥲. One big winner like that tomorrow (as if) and I’d be happy as Larry! 

I’m pretty sweet on Saint Palais tomorrow who’s about 50/1 - 66/1 tomorrow with bookies paying 4 or 5 places. Posted earlier that he could either be brilliant or terrible over hurdles but I’m hoping tomorrow is the day for him. I also like Ahoy Senor at 20s in the Gold Cup. Another horse not to be relied on heavily but when he’s on his game, he’s brilliant. 

Edited by buddie06smfc

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Can I be impertinent and ask how much you had staked? 

Couldnt pick my own nose today and all the previous two days profits now gone! 🥲. One big winner like that tomorrow (as if) and I’d be happy as Larry! 

Course you can ask mate was only £5 e/w but more then enough to get me excited 

19 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I’m pretty sweet on Saint Palais tomorrow who’s about 50/1 - 66/1 tomorrow with bookies paying 4 or 5 places. Posted earlier that he could either be brilliant or terrible over hurdles but I’m hoping tomorrow is the day for him. I also like Ahoy Senor at 20s in the Gold Cup. Another horse not to be relied on heavily but when he’s on his game, he’s brilliant. 

Good luck mate I am all over ahoy Senor for the gold cup. With Saint Palais being antepost I only have 3 places but fingers crossed. 

Well day 3 didn’t turn out to be quiet like I thought and I have never had a betting week like it. Couldn’t have dreamt of Cheltenham going so well. Day 4 I have a fair few antepost and going to add a couple tomorrow too. 

Most people see a shootout in the Triumph between Lossiemouth and Blood Destiny. Me though I don’t think there was a fluke to Gala Marceau’s win over the former and this is where my antepost money went. I also have a play on Zenta who could be anything as despite jumping the last 2 like it was towing a caravan it won cosily on its Irish Debut debut and could have won by any amount without the mistakes. 

Nothing antepost for the County and it’s a race I got bogged down in and found positives in many of the field. Think I’m happy with my selections though. Pied Piper I really wanted to take but just don’t see it off a high weight same with Sharjah. So my money goes on Gin Coco, Magnor Glory and Aucunrisque. 

The Albert Bartlet could also be a fairly open contest and one I’ve never had much of an opinion on it but my antepost money went on Search For Glory and Saint Palais. I will likely stick something on the other O’Leary’s horses too. 

The Gold Cup was easy for me with a big bet on Ahoy Senor. I will play Royal Pagielle E/W tomorrow because I like the horse and it should get soft ground. 

The mares chase I’m away from the front 2 despite the market screaming a 2 horse race. I plumped for Magical Daze antepost and e/w on Zambella. 

The Martin Pipe antepost bet is Might I who for some reason I’ve been keen for quite a while. I also have an each way play on impulse one. 

Good luck everyone. 

Edited to add in the hunters chase which I forgot about. Billaway is my antepost bet pretty much every year here but also added The Storyteller at a price and Famous Clemont. 

Edited by diamond_for_life