Cheltenham 2023

So it’s that time again when I get all excited, book the week off work and donate a chunk of money to the bookies when trying to solve the puzzle that is the Cheltenham festival. 

For a few years now I have dipped my toes into the world of Antepost betting and for the most part I died on my ass but I did manage to get Sir Gerhard at 15’s and Facile Vega at I think 16s last year. This year it was always the plan to do it again 2 fold and put much more effort in. 

Anyone who has chatted with me or followed the other threads know I bet a lot on the racing. I will put a football coupon on every Saturday (which 99/100 is a loser) then it’s all about the horses. No other sport peaks my interest the same. 

With that in mind I use 4 bookmakers. I know there will be many more to chose from and probably a few that are much better but these 4 are for a reason. McBookie I use for the Scottish football as you can bet scorers and they have much more selections to choose from. They give me a £5 free bet every Monday when I spend £25. Skybet give me loads of offers on the racing they are my favourite bookie by a mile for what they give me and I get a £5 free bet every Monday for spending £20. Paddy power I don’t use other than for their racing offers (money back as a free bet) but thankfully they still give me promotions and they offer free bets at Cheltenham. Lastly Virgin Bet have offer races too and I get a fair share of deals with them too. 

I am in no way punting these bookmakers these are simply ones that work for me as I use the free bets and offers from Christmas onwards for my antepost bets so I am not heavily out of pocket should anything go wrong. I have a fair few selections. Some races I have more than 1 horse in the race and some horses I have in multiple races (thanks Willie Mullins). Anyone doing antepost will know he is a nightmare to predict. For example I have Impaire Et Passé in the supreme and the ballymore. The good thing is I will lose the free bets rather than my own cash. 

The danger with antepost betting is if your horse doesn’t run then you lose your money as most firms won’t offer no runner no bet till about the start of March. Even then the prices crash.

Sorest one so far is Absolute Notions who I had at 66/1. Went rite into 16s then at the 6 day declaration stage Gordon Elliot came out and said it was straight to Aintree instead. Gutter. 

Will happily throw up what I have and would advise folk give it a try next year on a few races. 

Good luck this year everyone. 

Wouldn’t tip horses but here are my selections for Tuesday.

Day 1 

Supreme Novice - Impaire Et Passé won’t run here so that will be scratched therefore I’m all on Facile Vega when it drifted to 3/1 after Dublin. My biggest bet of the day as I have topped this up every week since Dublin. I have a small bet on High Definition at 14s because I think it could be anything. Lastly have Marine Nationale at 5s because although I don’t fancy it a lot of people do none more so than the trainer. 

Arkle - Jonbon I have now bet at 7/4 a few times and have also doubled it up with Facile Vega. The double was done before Dublin when Facile was evens and Jonbon was favourite so antepost you’re getting better value now than what I took in January. 

Ultima - I have 3 here and not overly confident on any of them. Big Breakaway at 20s, Happygolucky at 20s and Corach Rambler at 14s who is now 7/1 fav (it’s the hope that kills you). Also likely to take one more on the day with my own money. 

Champion Hurdle - Vauban is my selection but Constitution Hill and State Man the 2 worth considering just can’t be taking their prices. 

Mares Hurdle - I have a few of my own £s on Marie’s Rock NRNB as I couldn’t safely commit to whether she would go here or the stayers but I am leaning stayers. Therefore my two here are Brandy Love and Love Envoi both at 9/1. I could be talking pish but Honeysuckle I wouldn’t back at double her price. 

Boodles Juvenile - Perseus Way at 12s and Punta Del Este at 16s. I am very intrigued with the money that has came for the French import Bad but so far have nothing on it. 

National Hunt - Chemical Energy 15/2 but GDM is the horse everyone is tipping.

Day one treble is Jonbon, Stateman without the favourite and GDM. 

Spent £25 of my own Money and the rest is offers and free bets. 1 winner on day one would return at worst £98 (Jonbon). Any other winner is a fair bit more. Multiple winners will leave me in dreamland and 0 winners will leave me red faced and pissed off. 

Day 2 

Ballymore - My biggest overall bet of the festival Impaire Et Passé I have at 12s, and topped it up at 10s. A fair chunk went on this beauty who is now 7/4 favourite. This was my nap of the meeting and my most nervous bet of the festival with returns of near £1500. I know many will back Hermes Allen. My only other selection though is skybets offer put on Goodland at 6s as I wouldn’t top up anymore on Impaire. 

Brown Advisory - Nout I’m overly confident on and very taken with Jamie Codd’s views on the favourite so I plumped for a smaller bet on Thyme hill at I think 13/2. 

Coral Cup - 2 in this race HMS Seahorse at 10/1 and Langer Dan at 16s. Had a bet on Langer Dan last year at 20s. Went off 7/2 favourite and was brought down at the first so hoping for some redemption. 

Champion Chase - No one as I have a treble this day too and didn’t want to bet a short price here I wasn’t totally confident on. 

Cross Country - Little bit on Snow leopardess but fancied Delta work since last year (who is also in my treble). Not worried too much about Galvin considering it’s price of 9/4 but I could be wrong again. 

Grand Annual - Small play on Rogue Vif at 18s but I need to put a lot more effort into looking at this race before I part with anything else. 

Champion Bumper - My second biggest bet of the festival is It’s For Me at 10/1 who is now 3/1 favourite. I was so confident about this horse after watching it in January and thought I discovered the bet of the festival. All my own money on this one no free bet. I then saw a dream to share at Dublin the following month and I am now very very nervous. I have some play on Fun Fun Fun at 10s too but It’s pretty much all or nothing on the current favourite. 

Day 2 Treble is Gerri Colombe, Edwardstone and Delta Work. 

£100 staked on Its For me. £80 on Impaire Et Passe with about £70 of free bets too. This is my all or nothing day and will make or break my week. 

Will do day 3 and 4 tomorrow. 

I went a tad daft with antepost selections last year, saved by Flooring Porter. I’ve got one NRNB selection of Saint Palais at 66/1 in the Albert Bartlett. He’s either terrible or brilliant and Richard Bandey looked to have him back to his best before he fell at the last at Haydock. I’m convinced he would’ve won had he stayed upright, by all accounts no damage done by that fall so at the price can’t refuse. 

I love Glimpse of Gala and may have a small e/w on her in the Pertemps. I think this might be a stretch too far given the class she’s up against but stranger things have happened and she doesn’t give up. I really liked Fusil Raffles in the Plate but doesn’t seem to have been declared at the 6-day stage. 

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

I went a tad daft with antepost selections last year, saved by Flooring Porter. I’ve got one NRNB selection of Saint Palais at 66/1 in the Albert Bartlett. He’s either terrible or brilliant and Richard Bandey looked to have him back to his best before he fell at the last at Haydock. I’m convinced he would’ve won had he stayed upright, by all accounts no damage done by that fall so at the price can’t refuse. 

I love Glimpse of Gala and may have a small e/w on her in the Pertemps. I think this might be a stretch too far given the class she’s up against but stranger things have happened and she doesn’t give up. I really liked Fusil Raffles in the Plate but doesn’t seem to have been declared at the 6-day stage. 

I’m with you on Saint Palais also at 66s so fingers crossed. Not going to pretend that one was of my own doing the horse was flagged to me. 

Will show my Pertemps efforts tomorrow but with the plate I was all in on Mars Harper at 16s and thought it was easy money. Now 25s after running second last Sunday so there is the downside to antepost rite there. At least it’s still declared at the moment. 

On 11/03/2023 at 08:38, diamond_for_life said:

Boodles Juvenile - Perseus Way at 12s and Punta Del Este at 16s. I am very intrigued with the money that has came for the French import Bad but so far have nothing on it. 

Bad continues to be chucked in. Sure it was about 33/1 this time last week, down to 15/2 now. Not sure there is too much value in that price given the risk having never raced outside of France and when racing in France it’s been in fields of 3 or 4. Though the more rain and heavier ground the better it would appear. 

If the weather forecast is as predicted for Thursday and the races before turn the track into a bit of a bog, I will be on You wear it well in the Mares Novices Hurdle. 

Days 3 and 4 will go up in a bit meant to put them up yesterday but had a few dramatic issues on the ante post front. Loosing shoot first has absolutely killed me for the pertemps. The prices I had were some value. Sir Gerhard going for the Brown Advisory I don’t understand at all and Rouge Vif not making it in is a sore one to take too. 

Betfair Exchange doing money back on all losers in the 13:30 opener.

888sport.com doing free bet on same race up to, and including, 4th place, if you don't win. 

Got a free fiver with PP.

Betfair offering a free £10 multiple if you stake a similar bet.

Getting £5 money back on all losers with Sky Bet.

Edited by jagfox

Bet365 giving a Super Boost to Evens on Constitution Hill winning. William Hills have a similar offer.

PP giving 4.0 on Facile Vega and Constitution Hill winning (£10max).

37 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Constitution Hill …………..just wow 

My only winner of the day. Well I did have other winners, but part of losing accas 😂

Edited by jagfox