Gary Lineker

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Of course, one thing which is surely correct is that he would have been extremely well paid during his playing days so, presumably again, he became a millionaire. He seems to have benefitted from his popularity to become a freelance TV presenter rather than a paid BBC employee (assuming, again, that there was that option). Allegedly being freelance may have significant (lawful) benefits when dealing with the Taxman. Do we have yet another freeloader millionaire in the UK Tax system?

Just a thought! I know that I don't like tax freeloading maybe others think he's worth it?

As I understand it if you are a freelance TV presenter you will of course not be an employee.  Straight away no NI contributions to be made.  Also, if you have set yourself up as a company you would pay the current 19% corporation tax (soon to be 25%) rather than the 45% higher rate tax that top earners pay.  You can also pay yourself, and other directors, a tax free dividend each year for up to £2,000 per year (previously £5,000 and soon to be £1,000)

Lorraine Kelly had a reasonably recent dispute with HMRC regarding whether she was an employee or not.  HMRC claimed Kelly was effectively an employee and as a result was due HMRC over £1M.  The resultant ruling decided the person you see on TV is not Lorraine Kelly but rather a persona of Lorraine Kelly.  

1 minute ago, btb said:

I hope you're correct but I'm not sure I agree, I took a drip to the darkside (The Daily Mail) and their readers seemed outraged by Lineker and demanding that the License fee be revoked. Like I said we're all retreating to our respective echo chambers which is where the next GE will largely be fought.

The BBC may have reacted to the Tory government who may have reacted to their base (said Daily Heil readers) however I don’t think the BBC nor the government could have anticipated the level of the reaction.  Front page headlines across the MSM with Hunt’s upcoming budget being relegated (ha ha).  A massive own goal (ha ha).

I would have thought someone at the BBC would have strategised this before taking a decision but it really doesn’t look like it.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

As I understand it if you are a freelance TV presenter you will of course not be an employee.  Straight away no NI contributions to be made.  Also, if you have set yourself up as a company you would pay the current 19% corporation tax (soon to be 25%) rather than the 45% higher rate tax that top earners pay.  You can also pay yourself, and other directors, a tax free dividend each year for up to £2,000 per year (previously £5,000 and soon to be £1,000)

Lorraine Kelly had a reasonably recent dispute with HMRC regarding whether she was an employee or not.  HMRC claimed Kelly was effectively an employee and as a result was due HMRC over £1M.  The resultant ruling decided the person you see on TV is not Lorraine Kelly but rather a persona of Lorraine Kelly.  

The rules that allow tax dodgers like Kellyto getaway with it need to be abolished.  Not sure Rishi (non dom wife for years) Sunak is the person who will do it.

45 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sky's presentation of the highlights are just superior to MotD these days. They stick them up on YT not long after the game has finished - most of the time have a commentator (which I've previously stated doesn't put me up nor down) - and it gets rid of all the needless waffling in between the games.

An example of the stuff Sky produce:

Getting rid of "the needless waffling" as you put it and focusing on just the highlights is definitely welcomed, but where Sky lose massively for me is shown right there in your post - the final score in full and unavoidable display.

Sometimes accidentally and sometimes by design, I often come to highlights not knowing the scores. No spoilers highlights can be thoroughly entertaining when you don't know what's coming. Sadly not possible with Sky's Youtube clips.

38 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Dundee Utd must be relegated either way *reaches for straws*.

54 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Context of that though is that more people than usual tuned in just to watch the spectacle after the build up to 'What are they gonna do?!'

It's the first time I've watched it in a long time and probably the only other time I'll go out of my way to tune in will be the first episode of Lineker's return.

Yes, precisely this.

Viewing figures weren't bigger last night because the format was appealing.  It was out of curiosity. 

That's why I watched it this morning.  I probably wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Wright is a xenophobic, little englander, arsehole who should have been sent off 5 seconds into his ra cellick debut. He sees nuffink about nuffink & dont wanna talk abaht nuffink if it effects Ingerlund. Yet I am still on his side here.

I'm not a huge fan of him either, although I think he's got qualities.

He really does deserve a lot of praise here.  I think I'm right in saying he was the first to withdraw his participation in solidarity with Lineker.  It all snowballed from there, but without his early, decisive intervention, I'm not sure if it would have done.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not a huge fan of him either, although I think he's got qualities.

He really does deserve a lot of praise here.  I think I'm right in saying he was the first to withdraw his participation in solidarity with Lineker.  It all snowballed from there, but without his early, decisive intervention, I'm not sure if it would have done.

Completely agree, he did the right thing & you need to back him for that irrespective of how much you may dislike him previously.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sky's presentation of the highlights are just superior to MotD these days. They stick them up on YT not long after the game has finished - most of the time have a commentator (which I've previously stated doesn't put me up nor down) - and it gets rid of all the needless waffling in between the games.

Lineker is very good at what he does and I'm on his side and I think MotD is poorer when someone is filling in for Lineker, but I'd honestly prefer a show that just cuts straight to the football and maybe has a tiny bit of analysis. According to Wikipedia, most episodes of MotD are 105 minutes long. When all the football content can be covered in 20 - there's really not a need for an hour and twenty-five minutes of analysis.

An example of the stuff Sky produce:

Those highlights are plum. Probably in the rush to get them out.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Actually if you don’t catch motd on Saturday then you have 730 on Sunday morning then can’t get it on I player until Tuesday as sky sports has Monday night football to show goals second.

If only it was the 90's 

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

Lineker is currently in dispute with HMRC. They are chasing him for £4.9 million

If people like him and  Lorraine Kelly paid their dues nurses etc could get decent pay rises so hold off on the sainthood for now.

I am on his side on this case though

Edited by Wile E Coyote