Gary Lineker

4 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

:oops

For me, the likes of O'Brien and Lineker seem aware of the damage Tory governance does to working people. That's great and its also great they speak out on it. Yet when an antidote came along with Corbyn's Labour, they then rejected that too. Presumably they want slightly more distributive justice than the Tories offer but Corbyn was proposing to shift the balance too far towards workers for their liking. Fine, but they could've at least been honest about that. O'Brien instead repeated the right wing smears against Corbyn to avoid having to actually explain why he thinks distributive justice should only go so far. So that was annoying. I don't think he's all that influential, though, and he's probably just reflective of an already existing opinion current among voters rather than being an architect of it. 

Also, even though Lineker and O'Brien turned against the left with Corbyn, that's their shame to bear. I'm still happy to support them in cases like this current one where they're correct and doing good. I'm always mindful of the bigger picture even if they weren't.

3 hours ago, RawB93 said:

That's because they know Rugby fans are all Tories

Incorrect. My dad is a huge rugby fan (he used to play it loads before a knee injury) and he despises the Tories. 

My older brother is a big rugby fan who also used to play a lot and also despises the Tories. 

Both actually poster anti Tory stuff in our family group chat today.

Also, I'm going to the Scotland game with my old man next week. I'm not really that in to rugby, but I have always despised the Tories too.

On 10/03/2023 at 12:10, dirty dingus said:

Tory HQ will be on the phone to the Mail, Express and Telegraph asking them to rake through his bins and call up every big titted big haired wannabe from the 80s to try find some dirt on him. Can't be letting him get away with telling the truth.

Aye, but I think (on no basis whatsoever) that Lineker is such a goody-two-boots that they won't find anything.

I think he's one of the  good guys. 

ETA England goal-scoring c**t.

Edited by cyderspaceman
history

49 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

For me, the likes of O'Brien and Lineker seem aware of the damage Tory governance does to working people. That's great and its also great they speak out on it. Yet when an antidote came along with Corbyn's Labour, they then rejected that too. Presumably they want slightly more distributive justice than the Tories offer but Corbyn was proposing to shift the balance too far towards workers for their liking. Fine, but they could've at least been honest about that. O'Brien instead repeated the right wing smears against Corbyn to avoid having to actually explain why he thinks distributive justice should only go so far. So that was annoying. I don't think he's all that influential, though, and he's probably just reflective of an already existing opinion current among voters rather than being an architect of it. 

Also, even though Lineker and O'Brien turned against the left with Corbyn, that's their shame to bear. I'm still happy to support them in cases like this current one where they're correct and doing good. I'm always mindful of the bigger picture even if they weren't.

I would probably agree with Corbyn on a lot of things - for example, I would question whether NATO is a good thing or bad thing.  As it is,  Putin has answered that question for everyone much to his own disadvantage.

However Corbyn was absolute anathema to a lot of people who did not share his point of view (rationally so or otherwise).  Yes he lost an election in 2015 with MORE votes than Tony Blair got to win one but that indicates there were a lot of people who went out to vote to ensure he was not prime minister.  Consequently his leadership meant Labour had no chance of winning and simply enabled the Conservatives to do whatever they liked.  His leadership may have been popular with the membership but if it had no chance of winning then that meant nothing.

I  don't have a problem with any commentator willing to point that out.

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Incorrect. My dad is a huge rugby fan (he used to play it loads before a knee injury) and he despises the Tories. 

My older brother is a big rugby fan who also used to play a lot and also despises the Tories. 

Both actually poster anti Tory stuff in our family group chat today.

Also, I'm going to the Scotland game with my old man next week. I'm not really that in to rugby, but I have always despised the Tories too.

When younger I didn't find rugby interesting to watch and never wanted to play (too fkn brutal and my school only had red blaes pitches)  but over the years they have tweaked the rules and I now find it enjoyable. (especially today)

Whereas association football has tweaked the rules and made the game less enjoyable to watch.  

1 minute ago, cyderspaceman said:

When younger I didn't find rugby interesting to watch and never wanted to play (too fkn brutal and my school only had red blaes pitches)  but over the years they have tweaked the rules and I now find it enjoyable. (especially today)

Whereas association football has tweaked the rules and made the game less enjoyable to watch.  

I used to watch it much more often when I was younger, especially my old man (in person; he played amatuer) and Scotland (on TV). 

Rarely watch it now but do check on the Scotland scores.

34 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Aye, but I think (on no basis whatsoever) that Lineker is such a goody-two-boots that they won't find anything.

I think he's one of the  good guys. 

ETA England goal-scoring c**t.

Aye, it's his younger brother that seems to have got all the 'dodgy c**t' genes.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

Lineker doesn’t bother me and I've given my opinion on he who shall not be named. 

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

There's a degree of democratic control over the BBC. The government of the day is involved in the senior appointments at the organisation. The UK electorate, the arseholes that they are, have put Tories in power for the last 13 years. Those Tories have in turn put Tories in charge of the BBC. We get what other folk vote for.

I don't think a state broadcaster is the problem but rather the choices of the electorate.

But the state broadcaster and the other national media inform and influence the electorate. There is some debate about the authenticity of this quote, but it shows why the Tories are so keen to exercise control over the media.

DAk7NIWXoAErxAQ.jpg