Gary Lineker

I noticed on the BBC news ticker last night the option wasn't there to thumbs up or down the posts, but figured that was maybe just exclusive to the sports updates.

However, I see even in the Scottish football live updates bit today they've gone as well. They haven't done this because of this story, have they?...

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Is having coaching badges now a prerequisite to comment on football? I hope you never comment on or criticise anything without having a degree or qualification o the relevant topic.

No.  That’s why I never said that. 

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The BBC is extremely good value, given what it offers.

I'm very happy to pay for it.  I've paid a lot more for wildly inferior TV offerings.

BBC tv is shite. If you want to pay £160 a year for blue peter badges, fucking strictly dancing or whatever pish they put on and perma depressed cockney arseholes on Eastenders then fine, but i shouldnt have to pay for their pish. Ive not watched or listened to a BBC tv/Radio program for years so why should I have to pay for it? Its not out saving lives, its putting shite on TV. f**k the BBC with its twee shite. Just watch a fucking advert you absolute deviant. 

17 hours ago, virginton said:

Better commercial organisations than the flat tax based on coercion that you praise as a funding model, every day of the week. 

On what grounds is that even remotely justifiable? 

Couldn't give a f**k about this irrelevant argument. There are plenty of free societies in the world that do not have an equivalent of the BBC and its utterly ridiculous tax or prosecution funding model.

Absolutely! 

16 hours ago, Shipa said:

If Disney has something I want to watch, choosing to pay £9/month is good value.

If Amazon has something I want to watch, choosing to pay £9/month is good value.

When the BBC has nothing I want to watch, but the law says I should pay £13/month regardless, that is not good value.

It should be subscription only or advert funded. 

Whilst im in a ranty mood id love to send a big get it right up ye to the scab trougher in chief Tam Cowan still going ahead with his dated radio show today. 

As has been pointed out, the licence fee might well go to the BBC, but it is illegal to watch live TV in the UK (I.e. ANY channel) without one. Until smart TVs started to proliferate, it was basically a tax on television ownership. It still is, really, but to a lesser extent than it used to be. 

It should be binned and the BBC funded out of general taxation instead. Quite why the BBC requires its own special tax, is beyond me, particularly when other broadcasters in the UK require the licence fee paid in order for their content to be (legally) viewed. 

The licence fee doesn't buy the BBC any distance from government either; the government decides how much people pay for it and could abolish it tomorrow of it so wished to. 

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

If I’m being completely honest I think I will miss the commentary on MOTD but I certainly will not miss the analysis by the pundits.  No way am I going to miss pundits saying what a manager should or should not have done when they haven’t even bothered getting their UEFA Pro Licence.

They rarely go into that sort of detail anyway.  Normally it's just a clichéd "he should be doing better there", or "that's a clever one-two / great cross to [insert player name]" that any football fan could say. 

When ex-players are paid large sums to appear on the likes on MOTD then they should be providing at least some insights that the likes of myself (who have never played the game) wouldn't spot otherwise, but they rarely, rarely do.

12 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

They rarely go into that sort of detail anyway.  Normally it's just a clichéd "he should be doing better there", or "that's a clever one-two / great cross to [insert player name]" that any football fan could say. 

When ex-players are paid large sums to appear on the likes on MOTD then they should be providing at least some insights that the likes of myself (who have never played the game) wouldn't spot otherwise, but they rarely, rarely do.

Spot on.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they spend more time deciding which Audemars Piguet or Hublot watch to wear than analysing the game.

Edited by Shadow Play

23 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

It fell to his favourite left foot so he'll be disappointed to have missed that.