Gary Lineker

13 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

I don't know what channel GB news is on my BT Box. I'm not sure I'll be able to resist that or the car crash on BBC 1. Maybe if you watch them at the same time, it'll make sense?

Crash in the Attic. 

I stopped watching the EPL on TV years ago. The clubs seem to be more interested in Money than anything-else and not many are even owned by people with local links. The players are paid huge salaries and so are the commentators. The whole thing has gone global and cut itself off from its' roots so if all EPL coverage goes down I, for one, won't miss it at all. I prefer to support semi-pro football.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm not saying it's perfect. But we're in 'the right looks for allies, the left looks for enemies' territory with how a lot of people view the BBC.

Absolutely, there need to be changes. And the exact mechanisms for how it's paid for should be looked at, the nature of high-level appointees needs to change, and other things.

But a publicly-funded media organisation is a good thing. Those on the right who want rid of it are doing a really good job of exploiting the huge criticism that many on the left will have in the Twitter age for anything or anyone that isn't absolutely perfect.

We need to keep our eyes on the main issue here. Consider what comes next if the BBC disappears or becomes privatised.

The mainstream TV channel/news broadcaster that did more to expose Partygate and just about every other scandal that brought down Boris Johnson wasn't the publicly funded BBC. It was their competitor ITV. Which is also funded by the public, by the indirect mechanism of marketing cash. The BBC runs almost as much advertising between shows - just for its own garbage output which it then sells the rights to abroad. While almost every UK households is subjected to a nonsense flat levy that will be seen as stupid in retrospect as a window tax on buildings. 

While I'm completely open to the principle of a publicly funded or at least subsided broadcasting, the BBC is nowhere near fit for purpose in its current form. Wagon-circling around it because The Toooooaaaries want to dismantle is a classic losing cause. There can be something different and better to replace it. 

If I’m being completely honest I think I will miss the commentary on MOTD but I certainly will not miss the analysis by the pundits.  No way am I going to miss pundits saying what a manager should or should not have done when they haven’t even bothered getting their UEFA Pro Licence.

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Struggling for anything new to say about this?

Breaking news. Man leaves his house. 

Further breaking news from rural Mid Ulster - man remains in house.

9 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

If I’m being completely honest I think I will miss the commentary on MOTD but I certainly will not miss the analysis by the pundits.  No way am I going to miss pundits saying what a manager should or should not have done when they haven’t even bothered getting their UEFA Pro Licence.

Is having coaching badges now a prerequisite to comment on football? I hope you never comment on or criticise anything without having a degree or qualification on the relevant topic.

Edited by craigkillie

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Is having coaching badges now a prerequisite to comment on football? I hope you never comment on or criticise anything without having a degree or qualification o the relevant topic.

Indeed. Some of the worst "analysis" comes from players, coaches and managers with the relevant badges; some of the best comes from journalists and writers like Henry Winter, Jonathan Wilson, etc. 

5 hours ago, AuAl said:

Gary Lineker needs to decide if he is a tv presenter or a politician.

Join me, an elected MP, on my TV show I present, to discuss this.

f**k me

I see Dorries, champion of "Free speech!" and all, has *checks notes* restricted replies to her tweet so no one can call her out on her hypocritical bullshit.

2 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

I don’t care what James O’Brien has to say about the media (or anything) since he’s proven time and time again that he is a snivelling little shit of man that spends his days treating people far less privileged than he is as if they are dirt. The fact he works for LBC means anything he says about the “right wing media” is totally meaningless. 

Highlighting the sheer stupidity of morons isn't treating people like dirt.  If anything, he should be applauded for it.

10 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Highlighting the sheer stupidity of morons isn't treating people like dirt.  If anything, he should be applauded for it.

I disagree with their opinions just as much as James O’Brien, that doesn’t mean he has the right to speak to them as if he is above them.