Gary Lineker

16 minutes ago, throbber said:

Itv started showing the highlights at half 5 did they not?

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It was terrible.  An absolute shambles.  Fortunately short lived. 

Yep. Shown at 7pm and lasted barely weeks at that time before changing back to the usual 10/10.30 slot we’re all used to.

17 minutes ago, throbber said:

Itv started showing the highlights at half 5 did they not?

Was that the thing fronted up by Des Lynam and U2's Beautiful Day as the opening. I think that was the thing in the early 2000s.

There should be a space for a tax funded, ad free TV channel in my opinion. Perhaps I'm getting old but adverts enrage me to uncomfortable levels. The problem with the private sector is that they start by saying if you subscribe you will get an ad free product. All fine and dandy until the shareholders/owners want more and the company then finds other ways to Weasel advertising in.

f**k the lot of it. I'm going back to jigsaws.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

As the production team aren't as high profile or well paid as pundits and commentators so could see a wildcat strike backfire horribly, they should work but put together totally ridiculous highlight packages.

No goals, no chances, no cards, no interviews. 15 minutes for the lead game, which is just the entirety of half-time. One game consisting solely of players stealing yards at throw-ins. For another just have a dedicated camera on the mascot.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Was that the thing fronted up by Des Lynam and U2's Beautiful Day as the opening. I think that was the thing in the early 2000s.

That’s ringing a bell now. I don’t see the issue putting the goals on earlier back when you didn’t have social media and smart tvs etc.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

As the production team aren't as high profile or well paid as pundits and commentators so could see a wildcat strike backfire horribly, they should work but put together totally ridiculous highlight packages.

No goals, no chances, no cards, no interviews. 15 minutes for the lead game, which is just the entirety of half-time. One game consisting solely of players stealing yards at throw-ins. For another just have a dedicated camera on the mascot.

In other words, Sportscene.  

I can't get too upset about National Treasure Gary Lineker being asked to cool it on the political commentary and concentrate on what he knows about. It's their fault though for making him think he's become a desert visionary and prophet after letting him have his hour long rant about Qatar instead of letting us watch the opening ceremony, with British planes dropping British bombs on Yemeni civilians over the horizon.

#FreeMattLeTissier!

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Lots of people who are critical of the BBC are keen on calling the Licence Fee a tax.

I'm fine with that idea. I quite like taxes.  The other ones I pay get spent on all manner of things I don't use directly myself, but that others can benefit from.  If you don't like anything the BBC offer, try looking at it in that way.

The idea that we must only pay anything for stuff we personally rely on, is yet more evidence of the rampant individualism that is surprisingly popular among posters who apparently reject the Tories. 

Excellent post. Kens.

2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

The difference being you make a choice to pay for inferior TV offerings.

Disnae ken. You're missing the whole point. It's like the NHS. We all pay so that we all have it. 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Until this point I’ve always been pretty happy to pay the fee regardless of the stuff that’s on it and that I don’t actually watch it very much.

This stuff with Lineker puts it into question now, along with things like Question Time becoming more awful. I don’t doubt the BBC has always been a least a bit more supportive of the governments in its output but it feels like it’s becoming much more obvious by having so many Tories involved in running it now, any impartiality it claimed looks like it’s gone.

Thisnis probably one of the most right-leaning governments we’ve ever had and, exactly like with taxes these days, paying them feels like paying straight into the Tory party and into their mates pockets. 

I understand this view, but it's baby-out-with-the-bathwater stuff. The BBC needs to be reformed, and the model isn't perfect, but allowing short-term mismanagement to do away with the whole concept would be a mistake. Not to mention that it's arguably been part of the Tory plan all along, as with the NHS and other public services. Run them into the ground until people start pointing at how shite they are so they can be broken up and privatised for huge financial or political gain.

There are clearly structural changes required, and it will never be perfect. But I feel that a lot of people are falling for the gameplan here.

17 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Excellent post. Kens.

Disnae ken. You're missing the whole point. It's like the NHS. We all pay so that we all have it. 

I understand this view, but it's baby-out-with-the-bathwater stuff. The BBC needs to be reformed, and the model isn't perfect, but allowing short-term mismanagement to do away with the whole concept would be a mistake. Not to mention that it's arguably been part of the Tory plan all along, as with the NHS and other public services. Run them into the ground until people start pointing at how shite they are so they can be broken up and privatised for huge financial or political gain.

There are clearly structural changes required, and it will never be perfect. But I feel that a lot of people are falling for the gameplan here.

Agree with this with the exception that the funding model is clearly woefully regressive, ironically probably one of the few things the Tories like about it.

10 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Agree with this with the exception that the funding model is clearly woefully regressive, ironically probably one of the few things the Tories like about it.

I'm not saying it's perfect. But we're in 'the right looks for allies, the left looks for enemies' territory with how a lot of people view the BBC.

Absolutely, there need to be changes. And the exact mechanisms for how it's paid for should be looked at, the nature of high-level appointees needs to change, and other things.

But a publicly-funded media organisation is a good thing. Those on the right who want rid of it are doing a really good job of exploiting the huge criticism that many on the left will have in the Twitter age for anything or anyone that isn't absolutely perfect.

We need to keep our eyes on the main issue here. Consider what comes next if the BBC disappears or becomes privatised.

Edited by VincentGuerin

How does this stand off end?

I think Lineker will ultimately walk as the DG will present him with a contract/code of conduct that he can't agree to. 

Unless the DG reverse ferrets but to do so will just mean getting flamed by the right wing written press instead of the left and twitter. It won't stop the crisis.

What an almighty mess.

1 minute ago, ScotiaNostra said:

How do the other funding models work for example in EU countries and their national broadcasters, is it pretty much similar as to how the BBC is funded?

France had similar (although cheaper) but I believe it has been scrapped due to cost of living. Not sure how they fund it now but assume it must come out of general taxation. I have no knowledge of other EU countries tbf.