Gary Lineker

No chance Netflix has better documentaries than the BBC.

Important to also remember, Lineker has a long history of talking complete pish - Rashford being better than Mbappe is a hill he has been dying on for years. In this though his statement is totally correct, and if anything the tone seems pretty moderate.

If anyone watched the excellent US and the Holocaust documentary, which is on the BBC, they will see clear parallels between the anti immigration movement now and those who desperately tried to stop Jews fleeing the Nazis. The proponents of this policy would equally be proponents then, there is no doubt about it.

The first part of his statement, the fact the UK takes in far less refugees than other countries, should be getting far more coverage.

The pr response of it diminishes the Holocaust, plus my husband is Jewish, is typical limp wristed stuff from a government whose time is up.

Linekers pay was based on him having the one of the most watched show on the BBC. The problem is nobody watched it for him and I expect viewing figures will be pretty much the same when he (along with idiots like Wright and Shearer) aren't there. The show would be just as good, or better with a professional career presenter.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Lots of people who are critical of the BBC are keen on calling the Licence Fee a tax.

I'm fine with that idea. I quite like taxes.  The other ones I pay get spent on all manner of things I don't use directly myself, but that others can benefit from.  If you don't like anything the BBC offer, try looking at it in that way.

A tax that is imposed at the same rate on almost every household in society regardless of the means to pay is clearly regressive nonsense. That's one reason why the poll tax was emptied. 

The idea that we must only pay anything for stuff we personally rely on, is yet more evidence of the rampant individualism that is surprisingly popular among posters who apparently reject the Tories. 

The BBC is an optional media broadcaster in a competitive market and not a public service at all though. 

But you continue pretending to rail against rampant individualism, while also gurning that your teacher's wage isn't high enough. I'm sure that those living on Universal Credit will be delighted to pay their £140 charge just like you out of their sense of social solidarity. 🤡

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Lots of people who are critical of the BBC are keen on calling the Licence Fee a tax.

I'm fine with that idea. I quite like taxes.  The other ones I pay get spent on all manner of things I don't use directly myself, but that others can benefit from.  If you don't like anything the BBC offer, try looking at it in that way.

The idea that we must only pay anything for stuff we personally rely on, is yet more evidence of the rampant individualism that is surprisingly popular among posters who apparently reject the Tories. 

Until this point I’ve always been pretty happy to pay the fee regardless of the stuff that’s on it and that I don’t actually watch it very much.

This stuff with Lineker puts it into question now, along with things like Question Time becoming more awful. I don’t doubt the BBC has always been a least a bit more supportive of the governments in its output but it feels like it’s becoming much more obvious by having so many Tories involved in running it now, any impartiality it claimed looks like it’s gone.

Thisnis probably one of the most right-leaning governments we’ve ever had and, exactly like with taxes these days, paying them feels like paying straight into the Tory party and into their mates pockets. 

55 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Also worth noting that the TV Licence is a licence for receiving a TV signal to your device, not just the BBC. In principle it for receiving ANY TV Signal so includes ITV, C4 and even shite like C5. Does the BBC share it's tax take evenly (or at all) with those companies? 

Is it not to your address rather than device? Which makes it even more ridiculous.

Having not had a TV licence since 2014 I can't watch live broadcasts in my house, but can get on a bus and watch it on my phone.

In an obvious attempt to avoid further embarrassment with people refusing, the BBC have stated no managers or players will be requested to do interviews after matches for MOTD tonight. 

I think the license fee is regressive and frankly an archaic contraption. Its a funding model destined for the bin, its on life support. Tax more broadly needs simplified, I don't understand why the public broadcaster isn't paid for through general taxation.

Back on topic, could this be the end of MOTD? The DG is pretty much doing the bidding of the Government so his position isn't exactly under threat. He could just get rid of MOTD, would be some saving for the BBC.

I don't really watch it that often so can't say I'd be all that bothered. I might watch it tonight to see what a car crash it is.

1 minute ago, AuAl said:

Gary Lineker needs to decide if he is a tv presenter or a politician.

Join me, an elected MP, on my TV show I present, to discuss this.

f**k me

She's a fucking imbecile. I bet the irony still hasn't struck her yet!

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think the license fee is regressive and frankly an archaic contraption. Its a funding model destined for the bin, its on life support. Tax more broadly needs simplified, I don't understand why the public broadcaster isn't paid for through general taxation.

Back on topic, could this be the end of MOTD? The DG is pretty much doing the bidding of the Government so his position isn't exactly under threat. He could just get rid of MOTD, would be some saving for the BBC.

I don't really watch it that often so can't say I'd be all that bothered. I might watch it tonight to see what a car crash it is.

They'll have to keep showing it until their contract with the EPL is up, whenever that is, or pay a hefty sum to stop showing it.

ITV has the rights for a season or two in the early 2000s. Could see that happening again.

Anyway, I feel that the arguments for the BBC and license fee are based on an ideal of what the BBC should be, not what it is.

It's been a deeply unpleasant propaganda tool for many years now. The coverage around the independence referendum was enough for me to ensure they never see any money from me ever again. They've continued being absolutely clear in their politics since then, and have only gotten more brazen. News coverage across TV and radio, articles on their website, Question Time etc are all just spewing out garbage at us now.

Will I f**k be enough of a mug to pay for hateful propaganda.

I largely listen to Radio 4 on the way to and from work. I gave up on Question Time when Dimbleby went. I do use the BBC website for news, sports and world affairs. I occasionally watch Hardtalk, Ros Atkins on, BBC Scotland and ALBA if Championship football is on and that's it.

I happen to think Radio 4 gets its pretty spot on wrt. impartiality. Everyone gets a fair hearing and a fair challenge whether it's the government or the opposition. 

4 hours ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

See Jim Spence having a meltdown on twitter and making this all about him, he's a weirdo of highest order! 

Joanna Cherry went on a me me me rant about the whole situation as well. Utterly warped.

44 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Has anyone suggested giving Sarah O a call?

That Jonathan Watson shout from earlier now makes sense.

292BB7FD-8DD7-47DD-B2E3-848EFEC10603.thumb.jpeg.f22277605f6200820c974481ff5a6b1b.jpeg

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They'll have to keep showing it until their contract with the EPL is up, whenever that is, or pay a hefty sum to stop showing it.

ITV has the rights for a season or two in the early 2000s. Could see that happening again.

Itv started showing the highlights at half 5 did they not?

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I largely listen to Radio 4 on the way to and from work. I gave up on Question Time when Dimbleby went. I do use the BBC website for news, sports and world affairs. I occasionally watch Hardtalk, Ros Atkins on, BBC Scotland and ALBA if Championship football is on and that's it.

I happen to think Radio 4 gets its pretty spot on wrt. impartiality. Everyone gets a fair hearing and a fair challenge whether it's the government or the opposition. 

I love the BBC. The fact that their news coverage winds up so many of the lunatic fringe is evidence that generally it gets things right.  Radio 4, 6 Music, BBC 4 - nobody in their right mind would jettison these into the sea while paying for Channel 5 or even ITV.  

That being said - what a riotous arse they’ve made of this.  The argument about impartiality is made about football coverage on here all the time, and gets ignored.  The moment a Tory MP gets his knickers in a twist about a patently correct criticism, they chuck one of their most talented presenters in the bin.  

This is not about impartiality, though.  Let's drop that pretence.  It’s about people not wanting to hear arguments that they have no come back to.  Bigotry, essentially.   

There’s an enormous amount of hypocrisy from folk who complain about, say, Ian Wright being too impassioned.  They’re also inclined to bum up Michael Stewart for political reasons. But still, if right wing morons can’t stomach Lineker expressing an opinion, that treads me to think that he should be given free rein.    

If any good has come of this, it is that no longer can that failed actor Fox and his cohorts bang on about cancel culture.