Gary Lineker

26 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

No fan of Alastair Campbell but he had the BBC bang to rights on this. They often have Tufton Street think tank zealots on talking about economics without stating that they are funded by dark money.

Campbell absolutely skewered that disgraceful Tory shill of a presenter. The BBC is a f*cking monumental mess.

5 hours ago, Shipa said:

If Disney has something I want to watch, choosing to pay £9/month is good value.

If Amazon has something I want to watch, choosing to pay £9/month is good value.

When the BBC has nothing I want to watch, but the law says I should pay £13/month regardless, that is not good value.

Lots of people who are critical of the BBC are keen on calling the Licence Fee a tax.

I'm fine with that idea. I quite like taxes.  The other ones I pay get spent on all manner of things I don't use directly myself, but that others can benefit from.  If you don't like anything the BBC offer, try looking at it in that way.

The idea that we must only pay anything for stuff we personally rely on, is yet more evidence of the rampant individualism that is surprisingly popular among posters who apparently reject the Tories. 

55 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Lots of people who are critical of the BBC are keen on calling the Licence Fee a tax.

I'm fine with that idea. I quite like taxes.  The other ones I pay get spent on all manner of things I don't use directly myself, but that others can benefit from.  If you don't like anything the BBC offer, try looking at it in that way.

The idea that we must only pay anything for stuff we personally rely on, is yet more evidence of the rampant individualism that is surprisingly popular among posters who apparently reject the Tories. 

Correct.  It is like people on Question Time who say "my children no longer go to school.  Why do I have to keep paying for Education?"

8 hours ago, Bodie said:

Might not even be a show tomorrow, wildcat strike being considered.

20230310_221736.thumb.jpg.a46fc6422769499af2210e43c97119d9.jpg

As the production team aren't as high profile or well paid as pundits and commentators so could see a wildcat strike backfire horribly, they should work but put together totally ridiculous highlight packages.

No goals, no chances, no cards, no interviews. 15 minutes for the lead game, which is just the entirety of half-time. One game consisting solely of players stealing yards at throw-ins. For another just have a dedicated camera on the mascot.

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The BBC is extremely good value, given what it offers.

I'm very happy to pay for it.  I've paid a lot more for wildly inferior TV offerings.

The difference being you make a choice to pay for inferior TV offerings.

6 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

The difference being you make a choice to pay for inferior TV offerings.

Choice - a much overrated concept.  

As I said, it's a tax worth paying for a greater good, even if the good is a bit harder to find currently.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Choice - a much overrated concept.  

As I said, it's a tax worth paying for a greater good, even if the good is a bit harder to find currently.

Nah. There is no greater good and hasn't been for years. If BBC want to argue that the TV Licence is used to fund their "high quality output" then then can follow a similar model to the likes of Netflix and Prime and make it a paid subscription service by choice. 

Also worth noting that the TV Licence is a licence for receiving a TV signal to your device, not just the BBC. In principle it for receiving ANY TV Signal so includes ITV, C4 and even shite like C5. Does the BBC share it's tax take evenly (or at all) with those companies? 

1 minute ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

If BBC want to argue that the TV Licence is used to fund their "high quality output" then then can follow a similar model to the likes of Netflix and Prime and make it a paid subscription service by choice. 

That's a ridiculous argument.

It offers something very different from those platforms.

Probably the beginning of the end of the BBC as a free to air service, at least with the scale it has now. All those years of lobbying from Murdoch and his ilk are finally paying off.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's a ridiculous argument.

It offers something very different from those platforms.

Other than news output, not really. In terms of live sport they've lost the good stuff to the likes of Sky etc and are left with basically Wimbledon and the World Cup/Euros every couple of years. 

What's the "greater good" you mentioned? 

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Probably the beginning of the end of the BBC as a free to air service, at least with the scale it has now. All those years of lobbying from Murdoch and his ilk are finally paying off.

Yip, it's clearly worked.

The eagerness of some on here to swallow wholesale the pish about 'choice' is very clear evidence of that.  Nadine Dorries can rest easy.  Her assault on the Corporation is bearing fruit, even among those who think they don't like what she stands for.

7 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

In terms of live sport they've lost the good stuff to the likes of Sky etc and are left with basically Wimbledon and the World Cup/Euros every couple of years. 

You're making my case for me.  The "good stuff" was once free to watch.  Now it costs money.  Blaming that on the BBC is a little unfair.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're making my case for me.  The "good stuff" was once free to watch.  Now it costs money.  Blaming that on the BBC is a little unfair.

Not really. They can't offer the good stuff any more and the remaining content, other than news services is essentially docu series, dramas and reality trash. They're not offering much more than other choice-based subscription services. Indeed I'd argue Netflix pisses all over them for drama and docuseries content. 

Again, what's the "greater good" we're all apparently paying for? 

The Daily Express really is awful. They are running the story of 36 Tories some elected and some in the Lord's, but who appear to have formed a group to counter something they have made up.

The letter has been spearheaded by the Common Sense Group of Tory MPs, a caucus of backbenchers focused on fighting against woke left-wing politics.

Tim Davie has been told by the Tory parliamentarians that Mr Lineker comparing a policy which aims to clamp down on illegal immigration to Nazi Germany “will be deeply upsetting to millions of people”.

The Express perhaps to the suprise to noone don't even try to balance the argument out that, the parallels are entirely accurate and if someone feels like they are wrongly being compared to a Nazi then that person is free to stop dehumanising, demonising and breaking international laws.