Gary Lineker

Listening to the lawyer chap made me realise something. The Tories want to get us out of the ECHR because they want to govern like the authoritarian fascists they are. They're using immigration to get the public on board with it. 

England prevails.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Nobody cared on here when Matt Le Tissier got fired by Sky Sports. I don't think it is about free speech, it's about whether you agree with him or not.

Le Tissier was dropped from Soccer Saturday along with two others as part of a shake-up.

His insane Twitter ramblings might well have contributed to that decision but of course it wasn’t going to attract the same attention, because that wasn’t the reason given.

39 minutes ago, velo army said:

Listening to the lawyer chap made me realise something. The Tories want to get us out of the ECHR because they want to govern like the authoritarian fascists they are. They're using immigration to get the public on board with it. 

England prevails.

Surely, having won an election, they just want to govern for the people of the UK.

If they lose the next election, then so be it.

‘Authoritarian fascists’- time to go back to school I think?

I haven't seen much of this thread, but just wanted to say that singling out Lineker for a tweet is nonsense, when the BBC also have folk like Karren Brady (a sitting Tory peer) on the Apprentice....oh, look:

Is she suspended from the Apprentice for voicing this opinion? Naw.

Michael Portillo is a former Tory defence secretary and hosts a show on trains. He also appeared (maybe he still does?) on politics shows.

Nobody cares about these. but a few Tory MPs put the tiniest bit of pressure on the BBC over Lineker and boom, he's suspended. Organisational failure, from their Tory chairman down.

Edited by scottsdad

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Nobody cared on here when Matt Le Tissier got fired by Sky Sports. I don't think it is about free speech, it's about whether you agree with him or not.

Your post reminded me that I'd interacted with Matt on twitter a couple of months ago - turns out he's feckin blocked me the big feckin wuss.

Rishi throwing the chairman of the BBC under a bus...

Rishi Sunak has declined to offer his backing to the chairman of the BBC and stressed his appointment was made by his predecessor Boris Johnson.

...I find it hard to believe the chairman didn't get the nod from someone within the Tory party.

1 hour ago, Wingman said:

Surely, having won an election, they just want to govern for the people of the UK.

What's with the final question mark?  Are you asking us if this is something you think or not?  If you don't know the answer, nobody else does.

It appears the UK government are trying to silence all dissenting voices which is what authoritarian fascist governments always do.

The idea that the UK government should be left to govern without being challenged is utterly ridiculous.

I see it's now Tory to enjoy not having to endure high level morons Alan Shearer, Danny Murphy, Micah Richards etc get £500,000 a year to describe to you what you're already watching and can see for yourself.  Huge if true.

Do people not just watch the 3 minute YouTube highlights at 6PM on a Saturday these days anyway?

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I see it's now Tory to enjoy not having to endure high level morons Alan Shearer, Danny Murphy, Micah Richards etc get £500,000 a year to describe to you what you're already watching and can see for yourself.  Huge if true.

Do people not just watch the 3 minute YouTube highlights at 6PM on a Saturday these days anyway?

I don't think they're being relied on by the tactical geniuses on here, but more passive viewers might like it. In any case it's pretty much how all TV sport is presented. I get the gist of cricket but need a bit of help with the finer points.

5 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Distraction over. Almost nobody has talked about the details of the actual policy itself. Good job BBC, Richard Sharp and the Conservative Party. Good job.

I dunno. Things will get quite fun when the Lords try to chuck it on the fire 

4 hours ago, Wingman said:

FCCF01D6-61C8-4D95-9CE4-A03C04F78E97.gif

22 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I dunno. Things will get quite fun when the Lords try to chuck it on the fire 

Surely they would have anticipated this and wouldn't be pushing the bill forward if they thought it would be blocked anyway?