Gary Lineker

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Didn't think I'd see a time on P&B where people would be saying that the likes of Jenas, Keown, Murphy, Wright & Shearer etc help further people's understanding of a game of football tbh.

Just because Lineker is in the right and has been treated shamefully by the BBC doesn't  mean you need to die on that hill lads.

I genuinely think Alan Shearer’s excellent. 

54 minutes ago, Bodie said:

Who is the person with the nippy voice ? 

I’m assuming Vicky Sparks.   

I'm with Ludo, I back Lineker on this front as free speech should be exactly that.

However, the contributions of the pundits adds very little to the viewer experience. It really is statement of the obvious stuff. Especially for all of us who are passionate about football. Maybe a bit different if you know f**k all about the game?

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not read the whole thread so assume this has been mentioned - but it’s fucking mental that Gary Lineker has become the story here. 

Like genuinely, what on earth is going on? 

It's the starting gun for the next general election and if you have any nuance, you'll be required to leave it at the door.

It's a regrettable state of affairs.

9 minutes ago, sophia said:

It's the starting gun for the next general election and if you have any nuance, you'll be required to leave it at the door.

It's a regrettable state of affairs.

Oh absolutely. In fairness the prime minister using the term ‘lefty lawyer’ at the dispatch box was the proper starting gun. Utterly shameless dumbing down of debate over serious issues from a desperate government. 

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I'm with Ludo, I back Lineker on this front as free speech should be exactly that.

However, the contributions of the pundits adds very little to the viewer experience. It really is statement of the obvious stuff. Especially for all of us who are passionate about football. Maybe a bit different if you know f**k all about the game?

Nobody cared on here when Matt Le Tissier got fired by Sky Sports. I don't think it is about free speech, it's about whether you agree with him or not.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Nobody cared on here when Matt Le Tissier got fired by Sky Sports. I don't think it is about free speech, it's about whether you agree with him or not.

Indeed, it's free speech not freedom of consequences.

If Lineker had come out with a Scott Adams esque rant he would have been fired and rightly so.

The difference in this case is that Le Tissier was against the black lives matter movement, Lineker is against the UK government committing human rights abuses.

Entirely appropriate to support one and not the other. The message matters.

I am a free speech advocate, but not freedom from consequences. Equally protesting / shutting down speech is also, in itself, free speech and should be allowed.

7 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not read the whole thread so assume this has been mentioned - but it’s fucking mental that Gary Lineker has become the story here. 

Like genuinely, what on earth is going on? 

Of course you're right.

However, without his stance the issue itself would be receiving less attention than it is.

56 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Of course you're right.

However, without his stance the issue itself would be receiving less attention than it is.

His stance and suspension would probably not have been enough.

It is the unexpected collective action of so many others that have made it a story.

56 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Of course you're right.

I see your point but the issue being discussed is the BBC’s impartiality, its relationship with Gary Lineker and the lack of football on the bbc. 

I haven’t heard a great deal of chat about the legislation at the heart of all of this. 

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I see your point but the issue being discussed is the BBC’s impartiality, its relationship with Gary Lineker and the lack of football on the bbc. 

I haven’t heard a great deal of chat about the legislation at the heart of all of this. 

and any chance of a grown up discussion on the issue, which at the best of times is difficult looks even less likely now which probably does the Tories a favour which is what they and the Daily Mail most likely thought in the first place. 

30 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

His stance and suspension would probably not have been enough.

It is the unexpected collective action of so many others that have made it a story.

Yes agreed.  That was dependent on the initial tweet and stance though.

32 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think we've heard more chat about it than would otherwise have been the case.