Gary Lineker

15 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

No boycott from Paul Mitchell.  What a surprise...

To be fair, he was already in place and doing his commentary before anyone at BBC Scotland decided to join in (including Kenny "I would have stayed on-air if there was a game at Ibrix" Macintyre). 

4 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Wasn’t even me who brought him up this thread tbf. Anyway that’s enough about the bold James. 

It was you who went off on him though. The guy posted a video of him making some valid points and you were the first poster to respond 🤷

12 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Too many tories on here talking about how good MOTD was without any chat.

Too many pundits on match of the day spouting endless clichés for hundreds of thousands of pounds a year 

You could pick anyone off the street to do the same job 

Edited by Binos

22 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Not really. They can't offer the good stuff any more and the remaining content, other than news services is essentially docu series, dramas and reality trash. They're not offering much more than other choice-based subscription services. Indeed I'd argue Netflix pisses all over them for drama and docuseries content. 

Again, what's the "greater good" we're all apparently paying for? 

You're regarding it purely in television terms.

It has other strings.  Some, like Bitesize for example, are a bit niche, but that's the point.  It can afford to do things like that because it's set up differently from other media organisations.

22 hours ago, virginton said:

A tax that is imposed at the same rate on almost every household in society regardless of the means to pay is clearly regressive nonsense. That's one reason why the poll tax was emptied. 

The BBC is an optional media broadcaster in a competitive market and not a public service at all though. 

But you continue pretending to rail against rampant individualism, while also gurning that your teacher's wage isn't high enough. I'm sure that those living on Universal Credit will be delighted to pay their £140 charge just like you out of their sense of social solidarity. 🤡

Ok, your point about it being charged at a blanket rate has some merit.  It's not entirely accurate because the elderly and visually impaired get concessions, but yes, the point essentially stands. 

Maybe the idea of it being means tested or raised through regular taxation has value.  The poll tax comparison breaks down a little due to the relative sums involved.  I also think that few who object to the Licence Fee are doing so on the grounds of equality.

As for the spiteful remainder, you'll find that my comments on that thread have been typically measured, as you've run about sprinkling the red dots like a less rational Marshmallo.  What happened in that dispute was actually a collective effort, don't you know.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

20 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm not saying it's perfect. But we're in 'the right looks for allies, the left looks for enemies' territory with how a lot of people view the BBC.

Absolutely, there need to be changes. And the exact mechanisms for how it's paid for should be looked at, the nature of high-level appointees needs to change, and other things.

But a publicly-funded media organisation is a good thing. Those on the right who want rid of it are doing a really good job of exploiting the huge criticism that many on the left will have in the Twitter age for anything or anyone that isn't absolutely perfect.

We need to keep our eyes on the main issue here. Consider what comes next if the BBC disappears or becomes privatised.

Excellent post.

Many on here just don't get this.  They are absolutely falling for something.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I quite like having pundits on highlights shows. Even more so of I've been at a game - I can see something live and wonder if it'll get mentioned on the show, or see if their analysis is the same as mine etc. The little bits highlighting defensive deficiencies or highlighting tactical changes (as they did with Lopetegui recently in the Wolves v Spurs game) adds to proceedings I think. Having a toddler at home I don't often get to see MotD and the wee 3 minute clips Sky put up on YouTube aren't great imo; there's no context, they shown some incidents several times and don't show others at all, they don't show much build up to free-kicks or penalties that lead to goals etc. They're fine if you just want to see the goals and red cards, but that's about it. Perhaps I'm too much of a football geek but I want more than that, but at the same time can't/won't watch every single game live/as-live. MotD having 3 or 4 featured games of 10-15 mins of highlights plus analysis then another 2 or 3 with 8-10 mins of highlights is right in the sweet spot and there's a reason the format has endured for so long and is seen elsewhere.

Here's a mad idea, instead of allegedly paying France £500 mill to do hee haw, why not use that money to build houses that people who want to come here to work can live in. I assume, given that they have jobs, they will be paying rent & contributing through taxation unlike a lot of people here through an accident of birth who have no intention of contributing anything bcos forrnirrs & wurr entitled.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Here's a mad idea, instead of allegedly paying France £500 mill to do hee haw, why not use that money to build houses that people who want to come here to work can live in. I assume, given that they have jobs, they will be paying rent & contributing through taxation unlike a lot of people here through an accident of birth who have no intention of contributing anything bcos forrnirrs & wurr entitled.

You'll have to work on your delivery.  Not as catchy as Linekers but you have all week to practice.