Gary Lineker

11 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I would probably agree with Corbyn on a lot of things - for example, I would question whether NATO is a good thing or bad thing.  As it is,  Putin has answered that question for everyone much to his own disadvantage.

However Corbyn was absolute anathema to a lot of people who did not share his point of view (rationally so or otherwise).  Yes he lost an election in 2015 with MORE votes than Tony Blair got to win one but that indicates there were a lot of people who went out to vote to ensure he was not prime minister.  Consequently his leadership meant Labour had no chance of winning and simply enabled the Conservatives to do whatever they liked.  His leadership may have been popular with the membership but if it had no chance of winning then that meant nothing.

I  don't have a problem with any commentator willing to point that out.

Lineker just made that single "Bin Corbyn" tweet which we can't tell his motives from so there's nothing really to say there. O'Brien did go into detail on his reasons but as I didn't listen to him regularly at the time, I'm going on selected quotes of his that I've read. Therefore, I might not have properly grasped his full set of beliefs. Anyway, from what I read he wasn't against Corbyn for the strategic reason you've given there. He was against Corbyn's politics and he also thought Corbyn was an antisemite.

To then not vote for Labour, to vote Lib Dem or whatever (I'm more meaning in England and Wales here due to the different dynamics in Scotland and N.I.), that meant that voter was ultimately more comfortable with a Tory than Labour government. 

This isn't really about James O'Brien specifically, though. It's about why so many liberal left/centre left folk refused to vote for the further left Corbyn. It's certainly something that happened, as you point out, and its an interesting discussion.

7 minutes ago, Lancashirearab said:

But the state broadcaster and the other national media inform and influence the electorate. There is some debate about the authenticity of this quote, but it shows why the Tories are so keen to exercise control over the media.

DAk7NIWXoAErxAQ.jpg

Sure, even our state broadcaster will always be presided over by the elite or elite-adjacent. Folk with connections, Oxbridge graduates, etc. So it may well be a losing battle to that extent. There is that a state broadcaster is more susceptible to public pressure, at least, while private media only fears the wrath of its shareholders.

16 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

First time I have seen this BBC director general. 

He looks and sounds like a wrong un. 

He's aged a fair bit since I last saw him.

He took a fair pay cut to be DG. He was in charge of the BBC's commercial arm (BBC Studios) before. 

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Couldn't even be arsed slapping the intro on.

Sad thing about this is that they're delivering a much more enjoyable product at a fraction of the cost tonight.

Tbh, I thought I’d like it more without commentators, especially since I hate most of them, but actually I don’t. It’s like when we had Covid football, just sounds wrong.

Edited by Jambomo

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Tbh, I thought I’d like it more without commentators, especially since I hate most of them, but actually I don’t. It’s like when we had Covid football, just sounds wrong.

I don't mind the commentators but if it's an option between the two, I'm picking this 20 minute highlight reel all day.

I tend to watch Sky Sports' highlights on YouTube rather than MotD and they often don't have commentary so doesn't really bother me.