Terrors v Maureens - Saturday 18th March 2023

18 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I don’t think it was a penalty.

However, folk need to remember that the job of VAR in those circumstances is to find proof that the referee made a clear and obvious error. In other words they need to prove that there was no contact. I haven’t seen any angle which explicitly shows there was no contact. On that basis VAR had no business overturning the decision. Simple as that.

Still don’t think it was a penalty mind. 

Yeah, that's fair. It was never a penalty, but because there was a teeny tiny amount of contact, VAR was never going to overturn it (and it would not have overturned it had the referee not given a penalty). It's shit, but c'est la vie

5 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Yeah, that's fair. It was never a penalty, but because there was a teeny tiny amount of contact, VAR was never going to overturn it (and it would not have overturned it had the referee not given a penalty). It's shit, but c'est la vie

Too generous, imo. Nobody with half a brain looking at that incident would sensibly think it was a penalty and the ref should have been invited to look at it again. A teeny tiny contact, if there was one, is not a foul and does not cause an adult in fair health to collapse to the ground. If VAR isn't going to intervene in such cases of blatant cheating then there is never any justification to intervene.

Edited by Pull My Strings

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Go back 40 seconds.

Grieve was fouled in the box and that looked far more likely to be a penalty. Given just how long the check took, VAR may well have checked and given based on that rather than the Main incident.

If that was the case, presumably Napier would have gone to the screen to review the Grieve incident. He didn't, so either he gave a soft as shite penalty, or the officials all ignored protocol in an attempt to cover up the fact that he gave a soft as shite penalty.

Which means he's either incompetent, or incompetent and a cheat.

Just for the record. I was at the game and, as far as I could hear, the Saints fans chose to ignore the ‘Dundee United manager’. No pies, insults or coins tossed in his direction. More to be pitied…and he managed to get himself a yellow card because we were, rightly, awarded a penalty for all those assaults on our centre forward.

13 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Just for the record. I was at the game and, as far as I could hear, the Saints fans chose to ignore the ‘Dundee United manager’. No pies, insults or coins tossed in his direction. More to be pitied…and he managed to get himself a yellow card because we were, rightly, awarded a penalty for all those assaults on our centre forward.

Mind how many soft as shite penalties we got when he was in charge? Arguably led us to an inflated league position the season McGrath scored 14 goals. He didn't do much complaining then.

42 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If that was the case, presumably Napier would have gone to the screen to review the Grieve incident. He didn't, so either he gave a soft as shite penalty, or the officials all ignored protocol in an attempt to cover up the fact that he gave a soft as shite penalty.

Which means he's either incompetent, or incompetent and a cheat.

Or incompetent, a cheat and built like the fat end of a 7 iron. 

What is it with the majority of Scottish referees and assistants having the build of a recovering heroin addict? Collum, Napier, McLean and Clancy must weigh about 25 stone combined. I’m sure Class A drugs isn’t the issue as I know for certain that the Category 1 officials in Scotland are only taken from white collar jobs, Hugh Dallas insists on it. If you work as a joiner or a plumber and have aspirations to officiate in the Premiership you can forget it, no matter how good a referee you are. Policeman, politician, school teacher etc.? No ceiling as to how high you can go. Plumber, joiner or mechanic? Johnstone Burgh v Yoker Athletic with no linesmen and 50 drunk neds on the sideline. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

2 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I feel slightly bad being too down on Craig Napier as he came across very well on A View From The Terrace a couple of weeks back, but he had a stinker.

I’ve spoke to guys who watched him come up through the Junior ranks and they can’t believe he’s officiating at this level. Apparently he was an absolute bombscare every week. He was the referee a few weeks ago when Hamilton Arbroath was on BBC Scotland and couldn’t get his red card out quick enough to send off an Arbroath defender for a clumsy tackle 40 yards from goal, which was rescinded after appeal. The standard of refereeing in Scotland has a bleak future if he is seen as one of the better ones. His attitude towards the players is horrendous, he’s acts like a PE teacher trying to control a bunch of 12 year olds. 

For balance I should say I’ve liked the look of David Dickinson when I’ve seen him recently. He’s made a few mistakes but he seems to be one of a handful of referees who tries to get along with the players rather than running around dishing out yellow cards and over dramatic lectures like some high school hall monitor (Collum, Napier, Dallas). 

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Too generous, imo. Nobody with half a brain looking at that incident would sensibly think it was a penalty and the ref should have been invited to look at it again. A teeny tiny contact, if there was one, is not a foul and does not cause an adult in fair health to collapse to the ground. If VAR isn't going to intervene in such cases of blatant cheating then there is never any justification to intervene.

Spot on

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I mean, I’m slightly biased here, but if folk are saying ‘there’s no way VAR can overturn that penalty decision’, then get VAR so far to f**k. 

It’s an absolutely nonsense penalty and main should be booked. 

I agree, tbh. Taking that decision out of the conversation, if VAR can't correct obviously wrong calls then I honestly don't know what it's for.

I didn't want it before it came in, I didn't want it when it first came in and they were giving absolutely fucking everything, and now they've tweaked it and somehow it's worse still.

Just needs to get in the bin.

I'd be raging if that penalty was awarded against us.

However, as I said already, we've had plenty of shite ones against us this season (Motherwell, Rangers, Hibs, Aberdeen, Saintees) so "these things even themselves out...".

Anyway, United got a shite penalty against us in the playoff final so no sympathy.

If that had been a Dundee United penalty we would be bewildered as to why it was given. Just like the 4 penalties given to Rangers at Ibrox three of which were proved wrong . No VAR that day but you have to admit you feel cheated so I can understand why United fans are up in arms they need every point available. Personally I think Goodwin will keep them in the league. 

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

@sergie's no1 fan I didn't see the game - what sort of reception did Goodwin get?

Wasn't there but as mentioned a few posts ago, looks like nothing really happened either way.

Looked like Goodwin gave a wee clap to our fans after the game though.

I'd love to see the possible foul on Grieve in the lead up to the Main incident, which again clearly shouldn't be a penalty. 

Got to agree with the comments along the lines of ‘if that penalty is given against St Mirren, we’d be raging’. I completely understand Dundee United fans being raging with that award.

Get VAR fired into the sun. As far as I can see, our one hope, as diddy fans, was that VAR could overturn those ‘honest refereeing mistakes’ that were routinely given to the big Glasgow arsecheek cartel. Turns out, VAR just awards them even more. The corruption* is merely added to by another layer hidden behind screens in a darkened room.

* or maybe it’s just honest refereeing mistakes… and in other news, I’m going on hot dates with Kylie, Kate Bryan fae’ Portrait Artist of the Year, and the wummin’ fae’ the Scottish Widows adverts next weekend. Honest.

12 hours ago, Torfason said:

I honestly don’t think any of the pundits can be taken seriously, you know if that was Sevco he would be saying he gave the referee a decision to make, he had every right to go down, there’s definitely contact blah blah blah. 

It may or not be a penalty but using the BBC as some sort of bastion of truth is mental.

Foster also castigated Cantwell, Carter Vickers and Johnston for cheating last night. None of them were quite as blatant as Main mind you.