Terrors v Maureens - Saturday 18th March 2023

A very exciting end to that game.

Frustrating that we couldn't win it in the end, but we're definitely seeing improvement under Goodwin, the changes late on were needed after being under the cosh for a while, and Niskanen and Cudjoe really did provide an extra outlet - if only one of them could score!

Still it's a point closer to County, and no further away from Killie.

Nine games left, it's just about salvageable.

Disappointed not to get 3 points, but Buddies' fans can rightly point to their possession and midfield dominance at times as a reason a draw was deserved on their part.

Niskanen will get flack, but he only came on 2 minutes from the end of normal time, hardly time to get up to the pace of the game. 

The penalty? The time it takes to come to the final VAR decision is quite annoying. Many incidents all over the pitch can involve innocuous contact, but, imo, if Main falls like that in any other area of the pitch, he'd be ignored at best. I've no doubt someone will find a reason to justify it though.

Finally,  I was very impressed by the Saints' players in their workrate. Some players were very impressive with their closing down and energy. 

Some performance from that ref today, oh ya cunt. I though he was going to book Main for the dive. Presumably the VAR guys were checking every angle to see if there was the slightest touch to help back up their pal. Eventually, they must have found an angle which could conceivably have shown contact. Absolute nonsense.

Some misses at the end too. Wow. We are definitely going down. 

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

We are definitely going down. 

At about 85 mins I was thinking that as it almost looked as if Utd were settling for a point, and we were the team most likely to win it.

But to be fair to Utd they did make a go of it at the end, showed some real fight and had the chances to win it. 

Edited by houston_bud

If it wasn't a penalty, then it makes up for the nonsense VAR decision that disallowed Ayunga's goal for Behich's falling over after being wafted in the face by Baccus in our half, in the last game.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Some performance from that ref today, oh ya cunt. I though he was going to book Main for the dive. Presumably the VAR guys were checking every angle to see if there was the slightest touch to help back up their pal. Eventually, they must have found an angle which could conceivably have shown contact. Absolute nonsense.

Given VAR had to find a reason to overturn the onfield decision surely the amount of time taken suggests they were trying to find an angle to let them do that?

Edited by Bobby_F

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Their pal? Main can dish it out but he also gets battered about the place yet rarely gets a free kick. 

The penalty could have been given for the foul on Grieve a minute earlier, that looked more like a better shout but there wasn't too many replays of that one because we were awarded one for the foul on Main. There was contact but nowhere near enough for him to go down. Stupid from the defender right enough.

3 hours ago, elvis said:

We should have got nothing it was never a penalty. 

Go back 40 seconds.

Grieve was fouled in the box and that looked far more likely to be a penalty. Given just how long the check took, VAR may well have checked and given based on that rather than the Main incident.

4 hours ago, captainkev said:

Far from our worst performance of the season but it's still very indicative of why we're going to get relegated. We indulge in kamikaze defending week in week out, consistently finding new ways to be humiliated. Yet when St. Mirren seemed determined to lose a goal in stoppage time we were hapless. Niskanen the perfect exemplifier of that by blasting two chances over the bar from inside the box. Fotheringham was not much better either, managing to hit the outside of the post with a whole goal to aim at.

Yet another week where results elsewhere would have helped us out had we been remotely competent enough to take advantage. Instead we're still behind County on points and we've got Sevco after the international break. Superb.

Ross County have Celtic so we shouldn’t lose ground on them.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Thought that Grieve effort at the end was dropping in but we rode our luck there from about 88 minutes. Utd should have had it in injury time.

We are running out of road here and it looks like it will be another top six hard luck story this season.

Top 6 is only important if we can get into top 5 and Europe. If we can't - and its looking more likely the city teams, as expected, will finish top 5 - I'd rather finish 7th and have the consolation of relegating a Killie or United. Much more fun.

16 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Wow

As much as I love to see United in the mud that is fucking cheating from Curtis Main 

Shambles from the ref and the VAR dicks 

Seem to remember a Dons player doing exactly the same thing against us in our last game at Pittodrie, was it Duk? 🤔 Not saying what Main did was right but every team does it. And we're not even sure if the penalty was given for that or a previous foul that maybe happened a minute or so before