"You're playing catch-up"

coprolite

Any artists, albums, songs, genres etc that you missed out on first time around that's exciting you now? 

Can were largely before my time but i seem to have missed them out of the "old" music i like until last week. God knows why, what i've heard so far has been fantastic and very varied. Any Can fans got any recommendations? 

Not as far back and totally different genre, but i highly recommend Krum's 2017 album Blue Eyed Devil to anyone who likes their Hip Hop a bit kooky. 

James, I never missed them as such as heard all the well known songs but I overlooked them at the time as was more focused on  other bands. Started to get into them more after seeing a good youtube clip of them playing live on Chris Evans show.

Edited by ScotiaNostra

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Any artists, albums, songs, genres etc that you missed out on first time around that's exciting you now? 

Can were largely before my time but i seem to have missed them out of the "old" music i like until last week. God knows why, what i've heard so far has been fantastic and very varied. Any Can fans got any recommendations? 

Not as far back and totally different genre, but i highly recommend Krum's 2017 album Blue Eyed Devil to anyone who likes their Hip Hop a bit kooky. 

I was never much of a Celtic Frost fan back in the day, despite all the acclaim they got, but plenty of bands I did like cited them as an influence, so fair fucks to them.

I've been out of touch with the metal scene for decades, so only recently discovered that they'd reformed for one final album back in 2006; something told me to give it a try and, oh my, it's marvellous.

Also, there's a brilliant song halfway through that has a repeated refrain that really does sound like, "ARSE! I PIERCED ME ARSE!" and you can't ask for much more than that.

On 08/03/2023 at 13:42, coprolite said:

Can't go wrong with Tago Mago or Monster Movie, but a non-Can tip would be Faust IV if you haven't already heard that

And a bit more of a stretch but why not Popul Vuh as well

5 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

Can't go wrong with Tago Mago or Monster Movie, but a non-Can tip would be Faust IV if you haven't already heard that

And a bit more of a stretch but why not Popul Vuh as well

Will listen later but the artwork is encouraging. 

2 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

I do like Can a lot.

The Church are a band I missed out on but recently got into them after hearing stuff possibly posted here from @Eednud

Great to find another The Church fan. 👍   It’s also a band I have discovered in the last 5 years or so.

Have you tried the new album ‘The Hypnogogue’ yet? Really good considering the band have been going for decades, albeit with a few line up changes. May well be their final album.   

It’s available on streaming already, think CD/record are due to be available any time now.

I’ve just started listening to The Slow Readers Club after seeing them on Soccer AM about a month ago. I don’t know why I’d never heard anything of them before as they are so my kind of music. I’ve added all their albums to my iTunes library and I’ve loved everything I’ve listened to so far.  I know they have recently played live in Glasgow but unfortunately it clashed with another commitment but I will definitely be looking to see them live in the future.

On 17/03/2023 at 00:39, BillyAnchor said:

Have still to hear the new The Church.

Also for Can, I cannot find it now but I recently heard a podcast that said they were the 2nd most sampled music after James Brown.

I used to muck about with a sampler a fair bit and was thinking while listening to Can how good bits would be for sampling. Lots of very clean sounding stripped down rythmical bits. 

16 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've recently been checking out Italo Disco and Hi-NRG stuff from the early 80s.

Some great stuff out there...

Any recommendations? Moroder is obviously quality and influential but i don't know any others. 

• 1 month later...

Beabadoobee.

Caught her on BBC Sounds last April, playing Talk. Catchy, breezy tune, pretty face, tight band. Didn't follow up seeing her live due to relocating from Northern Ireland to England.

Saw the first night of the European acoustic tour, and wow! She's amazing live. Three weeks later, she's opening for Taylor Swift in front of 80,000 people.

Just 22!

Edit: haven't mastered including YouTube clips. Search KEXP and TRNSMT on that platform and you'll see why.....

Edited by Guest
Couldn't upload external link.

• 2 weeks later...