Caledonian Braves Reserves

On our podcast we have been discussing the South of Scotland and I will admit we aren't the most knowledgeable and are still learning more as we go. 

One thing that has peaked my curiosity though is why the Caledonian Braves have thier reserve team in the South Of Scotland? 

I have researched it and seen that Caley Braves in thier former guise as Edusport won the South Of Scotland in 2016/17 and assume that as part of the promotion they were allowed to leave a reserve team in the league? Is this the case?

Since 2016/17 the EoS is now multi divisional and the WoS has been created. Has thier ever been talk of a switch to save on cost and traveling? 

Please help and educate someone who has only recently taken a interest in tier 5 and below. 

One would assume that playing in the West would be better for their costs, but I think part of the decision making and staying is partly down to 2 things;

1.  A continued thank you for Edu being allowed in at the time and given the opportunity to develop. 

2. Should CB ever be relegated, they may see the SSFL a more attractive prospect of a return to the Lowland League

When Edusport Academy won promotion in 2016-17 they were still playing out of Annan. Even though they left the league, they retained their membership in the Southern Counties FA and possibly the WDFA. Although I think they only played in the Southern Counties Challenge Cup between 2017-19.

At the end of 2018-19 Annan Athletic reserves folded their SoSFL team. The initial feeling on hearing the news of a Caley Braves reserves side was that they might still play out of Annan. Since the first team was moving to Alliance Park and this would be a place for the Edusport students to keep playing.

Which I believe was the case initially, but factors like COVID lockdowns and Braves creating more traditional links started to phase out the presence of Edusport students in the SoS team.

From a South point of view it meant they would have an even number of teams in 2019-20 and since then Braves reserves help prop up a 12 team league. Travel wise from the D&G teams it's one trip a season and for many it would probably easier getting to Lanarkshire than getting to Stranraer.

Attended the recent league game between St.Cuthberts and Caley Reserves. Can confirm every one of their outfield players spoke French during the game.

Additionally at the Threave v Caley SSC game on Saturday was confirmed to me that the Edusport Model is alive and flourishing in the SOS. The source although not involved at Caley knows a number of the staff and players at the club.

I could be wrong 're Edusport. Just passing on what I witnessed at St.Marys and Meadow Park over the last week.

10 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Attended the recent league game between St.Cuthberts and Caley Reserves. Can confirm every one of their outfield players spoke French during the game.

Additionally at the Threave v Caley SSC game on Saturday was confirmed to me that the Edusport Model is alive and flourishing in the SOS. The source although not involved at Caley knows a number of the staff and players at the club.

I could be wrong 're Edusport. Just passing on what I witnessed at St.Marys and Meadow Park over the last week.

If that's the case, it continues to explain how they can afford to do it. They've got players literally paying to play. £17k apparently.

https://www.edusportacademy.com/admission-and-fees/fees

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If that's the case, it continues to explain how they can afford to do it. They've got players literally paying to play. £17k apparently.

https://www.edusportacademy.com/admission-and-fees/fees

The way they played last Wednesday suggests they are playing for pure enjoyment. There was no meaty challenges from them or challenging decisions. The joy from all the players at each goal suggests a joy in just playing the game.

16 hours ago, Yalay said:

I doubt the WoSFL would admit a reserve team into their league.

Apparently they already made clear they don't want reserve teams when BSC Glasgow applied to have a reserve team in the WoSFL (before the BSC/Broomhill split).

33 minutes ago, Marten said:

Apparently they already made clear they don't want reserve teams when BSC Glasgow applied to have a reserve team in the WoSFL (before the BSC/Broomhill split).

Might be wires crossed. BSC tried to set up a WOSFL in 2018 a motivation to include a reserve side. 

By the time WOSFL started in 2020 I don't remember anything about BSC Broomhill trying to get in. Until the split between pro/youth. 

48 minutes ago, Marten said:

I think that was prior to the current WoSFL being formed. BSC sent round a horrendously spelled document canvassing support for setting up a WoSFL (under the auspices of the EoSFL). They suggested they would field a reserve side in it.

On 06/03/2023 at 17:13, Hossy87 said:

...2. Should CB ever be relegated, they may see the SSFL a more attractive prospect of a return to the Lowland League

Far from clear whether they would get to decide. There were strong rumours that Gretna wanted to go to the EoS if relegated last season but they eventually tweeted that it would be the SoS they would wind up in "as things stand".