Livi v Dundee Utd (Take Three)

I thought United were worth their point in the end, Livi should have been out of sight, only watched to see, worst case scenario, how we might fair in a play off game.

It might be the most eye bleedingly awful game ever.

I'm going to turn into a moonhowler here, but dropping points there is ludicrous. VAR is not even close to being worth the cost.

Should have been out of sight by half time. Freeman not being sent off was mental. Ayina not being sent off was mental. Martindale taking off Anderson was mental.

The substitutions did not work, both Guthrie and Omeonga were awful after they came on. 

On the positive side, De Lucas and Bradley were excellent. 

Fucking shocking refereeing. 2 clear reds, all day long. Ridiculous. What’s the fucking point in VAR?

Martindale making a few mistakes with the subs too. Shinnie stayed on far too long. Any time this team gets talked up for anything, Europe, cup final, etc it gets bottled. If they’re not looked at as the underdog they shit the bed 

Referee absolutely shat it in this game. Completely shafted us.

Sadly, we also shat it. United were pathetic in that first half and we only managed one goal. We seem to be making a habit of not turning up in the second half and it’s bloody annoying. Also, I do not understand the substitutions that were made. They killed any attacking threat we had and we spent the remainder of the match on the back foot. Guthrie is not premiership standard. 

On the plus side, it was a solid debut from De Lucas. Hope he gets a longer run in the team. 

I hate the 4-3-3 Martindale often goes with. We're a lot better in the 4-2-3-1 like tonight. The two holders gave us the platform to play first half, Shinnie shone in the role. Pittman is much more effective as an attacking mid than a centre mid. Montaño and Nouble were excellent down the left together, combining well. Bradley is better in the 4-2-3-1 as he has Pittman up in line with him infield as an extra passing option. Devlin played conservatively first half due to the danger of Behich, yet still let Behich lay one on a plate for Sadat. De Lucas and Boyes distributed well.

Coming out second half trying to stifle the opposition wasn't going to work with the players we had on at the time, Shinnie in defensive mid and Nouble at left mid. Martindale should've instead instructed the team to come out attacking. He then brought on Omeonga and Stephen Kelly in those positions, players who could help us get that defensive control, but we were back to level by that point. At least it stopped us conceding again as Utd were looking dangerous on the counter. Anderson going off only to bring on Guthrie shortly after was an awful decision. The idea with Guthrie is he can be used as an aerial target man, allowing us to go direct to him. In practise it doesn't work, though, and Anderson should be left on as centre forward. 

I'm happy with the point as it has stopped the rot. If Martindale sticks with the 4-2-3-1 then we'll improve.