Rock vs Birdie

16 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

I understand the lack of confidence right now but I really wouldn't abandon all hope just yet.  Yes we are favourites and Dumbarton have injury problems, but we really aren't a super-force at the moment.  All our games are tight -- we could easily lose on Saturday and you could be top again.  And you still have to play us at your place.  William Hill make Dumbarton 11/4 for the league at this point.  We are 1/4.  If you allow for the over-round on those odds, it suggests they think Dumbarton have about a 25% chance of winning the league, so it's far from over.

You are taking a common sense approach but I doubt many Sons fans will be taking up that 11/4 offer.  For most of this season we have taken a very formulaic approach to how we've played, one that is based on the squad we have and their capabilities.  It wasn't pretty at times but it got us top for three quarters of the season.  That now looks to be shot through and we're really struggling to get a team on the park never mind mount a title challenge.

It was very evident at Forthbank on Saturday that Stirling have genuine options on the bench, as well as a decent starting eleven so let's be honest here, if you guys blow it there something extraordinary will need to have happened - that's not defeatism, just realism.  As for ourselves, we are still chasing a promotion with no financial means of consolidating it should we get there.  But let's leave the club ownership - for now. 

It’s far from over, recent results show that every team is capable of beating every team (with the obvious exceptions of Dumbarton beating Forfar and Forfar struggling getting anything from Stirling and East Fife) as a Loon I’m hopeful (not confident) we’ll make it into the top four at full time on the last game and would want Stirling to be champions for two reasons, we wouldn’t fear Dumbarton in the playoffs (not saying we’d necessarily beat them but do seem to have their measure) and Stirling Albion, from what I’ve seen, are the strongest side in the division. Stirling Albion obviously have a points advantage and a game in hand but slips can happen, all to play for but league positions at the end do not lie.

I should say, just to keep on @pleslie99's good side, that I thought the referee last night, Graham Grainger, had a very solid game. Let play flow, was very lenient but consistent and only gave out one yellow card for a very obviously bookable offence from Peter Grant.

If Calum Scott was right to book Brett for timewasting on Saturday then Marc McCallum should've been booked too. But aside from that I thought he was really decent. The fact it took me until now to even think about him is the sign of a good performance.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I don't really have the same feelings of sympathy for the team that others do. Aye, down to the bare bones and nothing you can do about injuries, but we've been shite for weeks now and had umpteen chances to extend our lead before all of these injuries hit and we didn't take them. The management were quick to praise themselves for our home record at the start of the season but we now can't buy a win on the narrow tattie field that nobody wants to play football on. Injuries haven't killed our title hopes, numerous poor performances have. 

Stirling seem to have the baws about them and I expect them to deal with Elgin and better our results for the remaining games. Faz would do well to start mentally preparing the team for play offs but I'm afraid it feels a bit like last season and the wheels are about to fall off.

You don't think that these two statements are related in any way?

28 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

You don't think that these two statements are related in any way?

In the defeat to East Fife, we had 8 subs. The following week when we lost to Elgin, we had 9 subs. We had no injuries apart from long term John Gemmell for those games so they were just poor results/performances not caused by those missing.

16 minutes ago, microdave said:

In the defeat to East Fife, we had 8 subs. The following week when we lost to Elgin, we had 9 subs. We had no injuries apart from long term John Gemmell for those games so they were just poor results/performances not caused by those missing.

Not disagreeing with those examples but I think its harsh to say that the current injuries aren't affecting things

We have 8 games left. 5 of them in the space of 2 weeks from Saturday. 4 of those 5 away from home. One of those a 6 pointer against you. We are hardly home and dry.  That's not to say Dumbarton fans don't have a right to feel gutted or angry at that result, general recent form and a sparse subs bench. They certainly do.  Still, if Tenkay starts on about champagne with us he can shove a magnum straight up his arse. Advantage yes, over no. Not with that lot coming up and only 2 points in it.  

As for those sticking it to these fans, may I sweetly say, go f**k yourselves.

19 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Not disagreeing with those examples but I think its harsh to say that the current injuries aren't affecting things

The injuries are obviously affecting things but we've only had them for the last three matches. We've played another eight games in 2023 and picked up 13 points from a possible 24. That's play off form and that's probably the main reason we're no longer top of the league.

Eta I don't think it's over. We still have a chance of winning the title because I don't think Stirling are going to coast it.

Edited by microdave

18 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

As microdave says, our form hasn't been good enough before these injuries. If we'd built up a lead you could afford a slip up at times we're short on bodies. Unfortunately we didn't take advantage and now we have to basically string together the record breaking form we did at the start of the season to win the league. 

Shitting yer draws is not a good look, but we have all done it.

Just glad the the Loons were the chefs to deliver.

On we go lads. 4 games to  win, by that time Dumbobarton will be playing their girls U12.

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

Shitting yer draws is not a good look, but we have all done it.

Just glad the the Loons were the chefs to deliver.

On we go lads. 4 games to  win, by that time Dumbobarton will be playing their girls U12.

Jeezo... between this joker and the bam from Montrose, is Angus full of inbreds or what ?

5 hours ago, Tenkay said:

😄 🤣 😂

Oh man! That's good! Good 👍

I wouldn't mention any champagne for Stirling anyway, yous are hardly blowing teams away like champions would!

There is no need to blow anyone away.Grinding out results is what is required and so far that is what the Binos are doing.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Jeezo... between this joker and the bam from Montrose, is Angus full of inbreds or what ?

Oh yes, give me more.....

he's actually my wee sisters brother, never have a bad word about my Dad.

I'm  impressed by your typing, that the religious upbringing in the west coast still do numbers.   

Suck it up son😍

23 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

That Facebook group is going to go into overdrive isn't it...

I had to chuck it. I could feel my IQ diminishing with every new post I dared read.

We really do have a few utter fannys in our support. You’d think we were on the brink of relegation to the Lowland League.

6 hours ago, Tenkay said:

😄 🤣 😂

Oh man! That's good! Good 👍

I wouldn't mention any champagne for Stirling anyway, yous are hardly blowing teams away like champions would!

Have Dumbarton blown any team away this season. Genuinely seem like they’ve just been grinding out all season. Stirling have looked to me far and away the best team in the league 

17 minutes ago, lwh said:

Have Dumbarton blown any team away this season. Genuinely seem like they’ve just been grinding out all season. Stirling have looked to me far and away the best team in the league 

Beat Annan 4-0 in August and Elgin 4-0 at Borough Briggs in winter. Those would be the two biggest wins this season iirc.

2 minutes ago, loon said:

No highlights or Salty Tears from Stevie Farrell.

From experience, with it being a midweek game finding the time to hold down a job, eat, sleep, see your family and edit together highlights isn't particularly easy.

I can email out his post-match with the written media next week once my paper is out though if anyone out with the patch wants it though 🤝

28 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

From experience, with it being a midweek game finding the time to hold down a job, eat, sleep, see your family and edit together highlights isn't particularly easy.

I can email out his post-match with the written media next week once my paper is out though if anyone out with the patch wants it though 🤝

No problem, Wasn’t criticizing understand how time consuming it can be.