Rock vs Birdie

Simple can’t afford to miss chances we did tonight . Penalty has to go in although decent save .

Overall not good enough performance for the status of the game.

thought Ross mclean was our best player tonight.

can’t remember what goal was like but can’t get how we lost a goal as Forfar weren’t really threatening .

onward to Saturday and what ever that brings 

13 minutes ago, microdave said:

That's what happens when you don't take your chances. The finishing was god awful tonight.

I suspect Faz will come out and say he couldn't fault the team tonight, that they did everything but score and gave everything, with folk carrying knocks. Which is kind of true, but you deserve nothing if you can't take any of the chances we had. You just can't lose 3 out 4 of your last home games and expect to be in a title race.

Edited by FifeSons

12 minutes ago, microdave said:

That's what happens when you don't take your chances. The finishing was god awful tonight.

It was indeed, but the thing was, although the squad was badly weakened by injuries tonight the level of performance wasn't radically different from most of this season.  For three quarters of the fixture list we have dug out wins in these types of games, and now that capability appears to have deserted us, with not too much to suggest that we can regain it.

The table doesn't lie and neither do the results.  We've now taken two points from twelve against a workmanlike but modest Forfar team, with an air of desperation at times in tonight's second-half.  We are down to the bare bones with Stenny and Annan our next two fixtures, neither will be anything other than tough.  The title is now effectively out of our hands but we just need to soldier on.  Like other things connected with DFC we'd dearly love to change it, but it is what it is. 

I feel for the guys tonight. Aye the finishing was absolutely woeful, but that aside I don't think we could've asked for a whole lot more. Two off the line, a missed penalty and hitting the post. Before losing to a deflected goal. One of those nights.

The injury situation has absolutely killed us stone dead. We ended with Edin Lynch on left-wing, which isn't something I ever imagined typing or seeing.

There was no shortage of effort from the likes of Lynas and Gray especially. We created a good few chances, but our finishing was woeful. When we went behind I knew we'd struggle to turn it around. Not scoring first has been a weakness for us this season, and when Forfar could bring on fresh legs with a bit of quality I knew they'd see it out. We just don't have that luxury, and the players looked like guys who'd been involved in a taxing 90 minutes on Saturday.

Fair play to Forfar. They've had our number this season and did a job on us again. Defended well, Marc McCallum had another flawless game and then were clinical with the chance that came their way. It was pretty much the perfect away performance.

It's not over yet. But it's difficult to see us getting the points required now. Faz said afterwards that he's not expecting to have the injured players back for at least another two or three weeks. And we literally cannot afford anyone else to pick up a knock on Saturday or we'll struggle to field a team.

If we’re talking another 3 weeks before our injured players return then we might as well say the new objective is to have a fully fit squad for contesting the playoffs.

We were running on fumes tonight. Felt a bit sorry for the players in that sense. No lack of effort but we simply couldn’t stick the fucking baw in the net. 

8 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

If we can't put a run together at home, and only have 3 on the bench. And a relatively poor 3 to choose from it's only coming down to one common denominator. 

Farrell.

Or injuries and a financial situation at the club that doesn't allow us to carry a larger squad.

Did Farrell injure our players?

9 hours ago, TamCarson said:

If we can't put a run together at home, and only have 3 on the bench. And a relatively poor 3 to choose from it's only coming down to one common denominator. 

Farrell.

Fair enough.  The extended contract should help him learn from this.

9 hours ago, TamCarson said:

Farrell.

To be fair Ryan Wallace did make a bit of a difference. Assume he wasn’t fit enough for 90 but I thought he was decent enough when he came on. 

I don't really have the same feelings of sympathy for the team that others do. Aye, down to the bare bones and nothing you can do about injuries, but we've been shite for weeks now and had umpteen chances to extend our lead before all of these injuries hit and we didn't take them. The management were quick to praise themselves for our home record at the start of the season but we now can't buy a win on the narrow tattie field that nobody wants to play football on. Injuries haven't killed our title hopes, numerous poor performances have. 

Stirling seem to have the baws about them and I expect them to deal with Elgin and better our results for the remaining games. Faz would do well to start mentally preparing the team for play offs but I'm afraid it feels a bit like last season and the wheels are about to fall off.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Stirling seem to have the baws about them and I expect them to deal with Elgin and better our results for the remaining games. Faz would do well to start mentally preparing the team for play offs but I'm afraid it feels a bit like last season and the wheels are about to fall off.

I understand the lack of confidence right now but I really wouldn't abandon all hope just yet.  Yes we are favourites and Dumbarton have injury problems, but we really aren't a super-force at the moment.  All our games are tight -- we could easily lose on Saturday and you could be top again.  And you still have to play us at your place.  William Hill make Dumbarton 11/4 for the league at this point.  We are 1/4.  If you allow for the over-round on those odds, it suggests they think Dumbarton have about a 25% chance of winning the league, so it's far from over.