Annan Athletic -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 4 March 2023)

There's a big game on the horizon as third place takes on fourth - it's Annan Athletic versus Stenhousemuir! A big game and make no mistake.

Galabank is one of the best away days in Scotland and I'm looking forward to the trip down. I'd fancy the home side tomorrow - Stenhousemuir have not played well in their last three matches, looking slow and ramshackle, with Gary Naysmith's "new manager bounce" beginning to wear off. Annan are a good side and we'll really have to step it up if we want to get something from the game.

I wonder how we'll line up. Naysmith sprung some surprises on Tuesday night against Dumbarton, making five changes, and none of them really worked. Will we see more rotation? Or will he revert to his tried-and-tested XI? How about something like:

- Gavin Reilly -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Adam Brown -

- Mikey Miller - Nat Wedderburn -

- Jordan Lowden - Sean Crighton - Nicky Jamieson - Adam Corbett -

- Curtis Lyle -

A couple of players will need to give themselves a shake after the last outing and I hope to see a big improvement. We've done well to turn around the season in the last two months, let's not lose focus now.

Quite a change but Blaney could be an option and a switch to 5-3-2? With Yeats and Corbett as wing-backs. Centre midfield is going to be a key area, Wedderburn, Anderson and Miller in there, with Yates and Reilly up front. With Goss on top form and Annan having a number of threats, maybe best to look to contain at first?

No idea how we'll set-up though, just hope we can win and play better in the first half.

Has there been an update on Brennan? Nasty injury, hope his recovery is going well. 

I wouldn't be against starting Conor Brennan if he's fit and able to play (and I'd never thought I'd ever be advocating to get him into the team at all) but I wonder how the injury might have affected him and his willingness to go in where the studs are flying?

A goalkeeper has to be a priority in the summer. Curtis Lyle is a big dud.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I wouldn't be against starting Conor Brennan if he's fit and able to play (and I'd never thought I'd ever be advocating to get him into the team at all) but I wonder how the injury might have affected him and his willingness to go in where the studs are flying?

A goalkeeper has to be a priority in the summer. Curtis Lyle is a big dud.

Cammy Binnie's contract at Linlithgow Rose is up at the end of May, but suit yourselves.

1 hour ago, WC Boggs said:

Cammy Binnie's contract at Linlithgow Rose is up at the end of May, but suit yourselves.

No. Cammy Binnie turned in some of the worst goalkeeping performances I saw last season when he was with Albion Rovers and I don't want my club to have anything to do with him.

20 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

No. Cammy Binnie turned in some of the worst goalkeeping performances I saw last season when he was with Albion Rovers and I don't want my club to have anything to do with him.

Well, good luck in the hunt anyway. Maybe Naysmith will have somebody in mind for a summer catch.

Aye, that was a really entertaining game of football and miles better than the slop we've been served up in the last three matches. Annan Athletic might have been the better team over the piece and I think a draw would have been the fairest outcome but Ross Forbes, my word! What a strike! That's by far and away the best moment of the season so far. When he had the ball outside the box, I was screaming for him to play in Euan O'Reilly to his left... then all of a sudden the ball's crashing into the net. I was in a state of disbelief. It's one of the best goals I've ever seen us score and it could be crucial in determining our season.

We started both halves dreadfully, conceding two preventable goals, and I think we deserve credit for the way we pulled ourselves back into the match. Annan are probably the best side I've seen this season - they move the ball around well, have some superb players in their side (Wullie Gibson was a standout at right-back) and one of the finest strikers in the division in Tommy Goss, someone who's improved exponentially as the season's gone on. They won a lot of first and second balls and had us on the back foot for long periods, but they didn't necessarily test our goalkeeper and they'll be disappointed with the goals they lost. Nat Wedderburn equalised almost immediately after Annan's first, slamming home the ball following a corner, and Matty Yates stooped low at the back post after they failed to clear a set-piece. Nevertheless, I'd fancy them for promotion.

Some players did very well for Stenhousemuir today - Callum Yeats made some sensational interventions, including clearing a goal-bound shot off the line, and Forbes and O'Reilly really brought a new dimension to our game when they were introduced late on - but we didn't really fit the 4-4-2 formation and some players struggled to get into the game. Our forwards were subdued and our midfield too open, and it doesn't suit us having Yates or Adam Brown as orthodox wide players. Curtis Lyle is a disaster waiting to happen and he should be grateful Yeats was there to hack away Goss' effort after the goalkeeper dithered over a routine bouncing ball. Sean Crighton should have done a lot better with the first goal; he seemed to lose Goss entirely.

But still! What an afternoon, what a three points. If we can get the better of East Fife next weekend, I'd fancy us to cement our place in the top four.

What a way to win a game, what a feeling.  It’s been a while since I’ve had as much enjoyment and exhilaration at the football.

That game was an excellent showing of what Scottish football has to offer - goals, excitement, and some brilliant individual performances.  Annan can likely feel hard done by and probably, over the piece, deserved something from the game but what a strike from Ross Forbes to seal it at the end.

We’ve replaced many a manager/managerial team but I cannot remember us changing and having such an immediate positive impact.  The job Naysmith and Ferguson have done in such a short space of time is quite remarkable.  We’ve accumulated 18 points in 9 league games which, this season anyway, is title challenging form.  Fair fucks to them!