Title race

There are still a million twists and turns to come here. Tuesday is obviously hugely significant. Expecting Arbroath to be tough. They’ve already drawn with us and taken points off all of the other contenders. That’s no gimme. Play to our best and we should win, but this league is unpredictable.

Still to go to Raith, Thistle and Ayr, as well as play Dundee at home. I’m terrified tbh.

League absolutely done. Would take a monumental arse collapse from Queens now. Even then, they should still be fine. Hamilton survived for yonks in the top flight, and sometimes more than survived, no reason why Queens can’t go on and do similarly. Enjoy Queens fans!

15 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

League absolutely done. Would take a monumental arse collapse from Queens now. Even then, they should still be fine. Hamilton survived for yonks in the top flight, and sometimes more than survived, no reason why Queens can’t go on and do similarly. Enjoy Queens fans!

The chickens haven't hatched and I'm not counting them yet!

Still some hurdles to overcome - Raith, Partick, Ayr and Morton away still to come. That's the teams that are currently third to sixth in the league! We have Arbroath, Hamilton and Dundee at home, the bottom two plus our nearest rivals. This isn't a dawdle across the finish line, we still have to work hard to get there and there's still the possibility of a championship decider on the last day of the season.

Edited by GM1867
Additional info

15 hours ago, Liam899 said:

Dundee have a home game in hand - could easily be down to 4 point gap.  Dundee still have to play Queens and have beaten them the last 4 times they've met so that 4 points could be 1.  A couple of IFs there I agree but neither would be surprising. 

I think "monumental arse collapse" is a bit of an exaggeration. 

On 19/03/2023 at 03:57, TxRover said:

More in depth look…the constant is Queen’s Park…Dundee look f**ked…If Partick are over their burp, they can move up…Ayr and Morton and Raith are terribly inconsistent, so not so much a threat…the Accies look to have peaked and are falling…Inverness are showing mid-table form…Arbroath’s latest better play isn’t reflected in moving up…Cove, oh well.

image.thumb.jpeg.8b447a7763181d3d7f3e517a90573df0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.26bcba5dcfe28e71ae2b26cf43bf8fc8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.af5c8774687a6840db955b50db0d6c5b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5b2649c8223aa40c19fc268c9fb22cb9.jpeg

I had believed you would need a minumum of 66 points to claim the top spot; looking at the above, 63 could be enough.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Dundee have a home game in hand - could easily be down to 4 point gap.  Dundee still have to play Queens and have beaten them the last 4 times they've met so that 4 points could be 1.  A couple of IFs there I agree but neither would be surprising. 

I think "monumental arse collapse" is a bit of an exaggeration. 

Queens and Dundee drew 2-2 back in October in the league. I’ll admit Dundee have had our number this season, but we didn’t lose all 4 games. 

37 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

I had believed you would need a minumum of 66 points to claim the top spot; looking at the above, 63 could be enough.

Which is also where the idea it would now need a collapse to see Queen's fail to win it comes from. Sure, Dundee could stil hit 71 points from here with a 100% record, but that's not realistic. If Dundee and Ayr continue to be inconsistent then it's plausible that a bang average end to the season with 3 wins, a draw and 3 defeats in your remaining games would win you the title with 64 points.

If you end up second due to Dundee or Ayr putting a run together and reaching a high 60s points total that's a different matter, but a points total of 62 or smaller from this position would require a collapse into relegation battling form.

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Which is also where the idea it would now need a collapse to see Queen's fail to win it comes from. Sure, Dundee could stil hit 71 points from here with a 100% record, but that's not realistic. If Dundee and Ayr continue to be inconsistent then it's plausible that a bang average end to the season with 3 wins, a draw and 3 defeats in your remaining games would win you the title with 64 points.

If you end up second due to Dundee or Ayr putting a run together and reaching a high 60s points total that's a different matter, but a points total of 62 or smaller from this position would require a collapse into relegation battling form.

At the risk of repeating myself (I will anyway) I'm not sure how losing a game to the current 2nd team and then dropping 1 additional point more than that team can be considered a collapse.  

25 minutes ago, hk blues said:

At the risk of repeating myself (I will anyway) I'm not sure how losing a game to the current 2nd team and then dropping 1 additional point more than that team can be considered a collapse.  

Yeah, but that entirely depends how many points the team in second place win. If Queen's Park win 5 and lose 2 but still find themselves behind Dundee who win 8 games in a row, that will be down to Dundee putting a brilliant run together. If they find themselves a point off the top having only won 2 of their last 7, that'd be a collapse.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, but that entirely depends how many points the team in second place win. If Queen's Park win 5 and lose 2 but still find themselves behind Dundee who win 8 games in a row, that will be down to Dundee putting a brilliant run together. If they find themselves a point off the top having only won 2 of their last 7, that'd be a collapse.

Yep - but whatever way you cut it Dundee could well be 'just' 4 points behind after Tuesday night and the 2 meet last game (Dundee have done v.well against Queens this season as an added spice) so that 7 point lead can very conceivably be whittled down to 1.  Not a huge gap given there are 18 other points to play for.  

I'm not saying Queens losing the title won't be a result of a collapse, I'm saying it won't necessarily be a result of a collapse which is contrary to what was posted.  

The league is in a very similar position to this date last year Killie were ahead by 2 on 56 points having played 30 games. Thistle were 4th on 45 points having played 29;  3 ahead of Raith. 
Killie & Arbroath both managed 11 points in their last 6 games. We got 7 from our last 7 and still made the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

....and 3 defeats in your remaining games would win you the title with 64 points.

The last three games have always been a concern. At the start of the season, I looked at that thinking, if we need a point going into the last three games to avoid 9th place or at best, sneak a playoff spot - that will be a tough ask. 

And the way results have gone against those three so far this season, it remains a tough ask.  

However, we are going for top spot - it could be wrapped up by then. Crazy times indeed.

I’ll leave the two bald men fighting over a comb to their own debate. Here’s what I know. In our last two games we’ve dug deep, ground out results and responded to difficult opponents by good subs modifying our attacking. In simple words, we had the Will to win. There’s nothing happening that looks like that’s going to lessen. No breaking glass to be heard.

As for the very difficult run in; with the squad we've got they’ll want desperately to beat Dundee and Morton before the season ends. Our poor results against these teams are a motivator, not a fear. And all the contenders will want to beat us, which means they won’t sit deep like Cove and ICT have done, which means we have room to play our attacking game. 

20 hours ago, an86 said:

There are still a million twists and turns to come here. Tuesday is obviously hugely significant. Expecting Arbroath to be tough. They’ve already drawn with us and taken points off all of the other contenders. That’s no gimme. Play to our best and we should win, but this league is unpredictable.

Still to go to Raith, Thistle and Ayr, as well as play Dundee at home. I’m terrified tbh.

Away you go.

Arbroath looked like a junior team on Friday night. Easiest win of the season for Queens, especially with what is at stake.

The deciding factor will be in the two games after that (RaithA, PartickA). Win all three and the title is deservedly yours.

Thank you.

Despite having Morton and Ayr away at the tail end of the season, there’s a chance that one or both may have nothing to play for by that point. The Morton game 2nd last day particularly  may mean nothing to them if they’re out of the play off race. We’ve seen time and again that teams with nothing to play for naturally take their foot off the gas. I can’t see a realistic scenario where the games mean nothing to Morton and Ayr by then but you never know I guess