Think it’s important to establish the criteria here:

- being foreign helps, particularly if they really buy into the club/city/area

- have contributed to big moments for your club

- have a personality which stands out

Then I think it splits off into two strands: the maverick and the grafter.

Maverick:

- skilful and capable of providing a moment of brilliance in games

- unorthodox/inconsistent (if they were good every week then they would be more than a cult hero). In some cases they are equally as likely to fall over the ball than to belt one in from 25 yards

- have some kind of significant flaw, whether it be fitness, injury record, on or off field discipline etc.

- most likely only stay at your club for 1-2 seasons

Grafter:

- hardworking and able to get the most out of their limited ability 

- consistent, solid performer in the team. 7/10 every week

- could be guys who fill a gap in the team for 6 months or who stay and establish themselves over a number of years

Have I missed anything here?

2 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

No Cheriff Toure Mamam? cult hero in the SPL sticker books anyway

I wouldn't class him a hero. 

He had bags of talent but wasted it. He was famous for wearing the number 91 and lying about his age. 

Surely you can't call someone like Morelos a cult hero when he's been a genuinely class player for several seasons. There's nothing 'cult' about that boy. Same with the likes of Prso, McCulloch and Jelavic.

Someone like the aforementioned Conrad Logan, came in, was a pie, helped win a cup, peaced out. Or Compper at Celtic, plays once across two seasons but is pictured grinning away with a league winners medal round his neck. Eremenko at Killie, unbelievable player that just could not be arsed taking the game seriously. Marco Negri. Those guys are cult heroes.

Anyway, I'm away back to the League One thread.

3 hours ago, spiggle said:

We've had a few. From McPhee the Bee in the 90s to Hassan Kachloul in 2005 to the Mengabus more recently, they are Cult heroes in their own way. 

McPhee was the supersub, came off the bench and grabbed a goal when we needed it. 

Hassan Kachloul was famous for signing for the club and helping save us from relegation. His first touch was to take a free kick and stick it in the top corner. Livi fans still use the cultness of Kachloul to wind up Dundee fans. 

Dolly Menga was famous for having skill, being a big haddie but people loving the outrageous tricks he tried. Famous for scoring against Rangers and that goal against Hearts where half the team ended up on their arse, Dolly is a bit of a cult hero in West Lothian.  

I just loved his energy to keep a lung bursting run going, over 2 or 3 phases. The expression on an opposition player's face after he caught up with Dolly, thinking he'd pass the ball back the way, only for Dolly to go again and blast away up the wing, you could see the aw for fucksake expression as he had to chase after him again, and if he caught him a 2nd time, he'd burst away again.🤣 Dolly was relentless. That goal against Hearts was pure Dolly Menga though, the manager shouting SHOOT about 5 times as Dolly went twisting and turning, putting half the Hearts team on their arses, before sticking it through their keeper's legs into the net.

2 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Conrad Logan is the definition of a cult player.

Signed from the scrapheap, massively overweight. Man of the match perfemance on debut in a semi-final. Plays 6 or 7 matches in two months then leaves as the first Hibs 'keeper the lift the Scottish Cup in 114 years. 

God bless Conrad Logan.  

34 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Surely you can't call someone like Morelos a cult hero when he's been a genuinely class player for several seasons. There's nothing 'cult' about that boy. Same with the likes of Prso, McCulloch and Jelavic.

Someone like the aforementioned Conrad Logan, came in, was a pie, helped win a cup, peaced out. Or Compper at Celtic, plays once across two seasons but is pictured grinning away with a league winners medal round his neck. Eremenko at Killie, unbelievable player that just could not be arsed taking the game seriously. Marco Negri. Those guys are cult heroes.

I agree about Morelos. I don't think he should be considered a cult hero given his talent and now being our all time leading European goal scorer. But he is also shy of being a legend, similar to Prso, McCulloch and Jelavic.

Maybe club icons would be more suitable a term for those inbetween-y type of players.

52 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Misquote?

On the grafter side I would have Brian Irvine for the Dons. 

Never the most gifted of players but had a solid career playing for his boyhood hero’s, earned a few Scotland caps and slotted home the winning penalty in the 1990 Scottish cup final. 

For flair, zerouali. As mentioned earlier. Some ridiculous bits of skill and goals, but could also be very anonymous and injury prone. 

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Have I missed anything here?

Maybe a couple of sub categories, 

The unlikely hero ala Conrad Logan. Hibs fans must have looked at his playing history and his appearance and wondered what they were getting.

Players that have unexpectedly gone onto a meteoric rise such as James Maddison (no idea of he actually fits the bill for Dons fans)