Club Legends

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Actually how did Lewis Stevenson's "one club man" career even happen?

If he was good enough to play for a half decent Hibs side in his late teens and early twenties and is still good enough to hold down a job with a still non-vintage but respectable Hibs side now then why was he playing in the championship for three seasons in his late twenties peak

Because he's just thoroughly reliable. Doesn't set the heather alight, but doesn't many mistakes. Most games, I don't even realise he's there - which could be interpreted as a bad thing, but is actually pretty good when it comes to a Hibs defender. Not exciting enough to open up the purse strings of better teams; too reliable for Hibs to consider selling to poorer teams. 

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I suppose you could make a bit of a case for Stephen McGinn and Jim Goodwin as captains of our most recent Championship title win and 2013 League Cup win respectively, but for true legend status I’d need to go back to Shuggie Murray. 

Our squad has been rebuilt so much in recent seasons that none of the current bunch could reasonably be termed “legend”.  Mr Paisley himself Tony Fitzpatrick is a legend. 

I suppose this is showing my diddy status but I reckon captaining a top flight title win should basically guarantee you "legend" status at any club. In Tavernier's case this was an unbeaten season after the worst decade in Ranger's history, so I think he definitely qualifies.

51 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I suppose the closest of our current squad for "legend " status would be Ryan Flynn. 

Now with the club over 5 years, 

Played over 100 games,

Helped secure the Championship, 

Helped keep us up in the playoffs,

Has had to contend with serious injuries and bounced back every time,

And last but not least, he's nearly always dependable and more than decent in just about every game he plays.

5 years and over 100 games?

We've got fucking hunners of legends then.

The bit about bouncing back from injuries is very fair though.  His recovery from his broken leg last Saturday was incredible. 

Rory McKenzie is the only one who could be considered for it. Personally I love the boy, think he gives his all in every single game and does an underrated job in the team - in whatever role he's asked to.

He's consistently played under every single manager we've had since Shiels brought him in about 12 years ago, which shows how valued he is.  

Unfortunately, quite a lot of our support like a good moan about him, to the point there can be a few worse performances in the team but his is still the one to be singled out by these folk. They'd also probably be the first to moan about a lack of local young talent getting a chance or the fact there's no loyalty in football any more, without seeing the irony. 

I'm really keen that the club organise a testimonial for him, but so far no rumblings of that. From what I've heard, it was something the club had looked at and Rory wasn't wanting one - be that out of modesty or whatever it was - but I think we should be forcing the issue and honouring a guy who's been with us for over ten years. 

It's hard to imagine when we will next have a guy like him.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Actually how did Lewis Stevenson's "one club man" career even happen?

If he was good enough to play for a half decent Hibs side in his late teens and early twenties and is still good enough to hold down a job with a still non-vintage but respectable Hibs side now then why was he playing in the championship for three seasons in his late twenties peak

He didn't want to uproot his young family from their house in Fife. Despite any problems the club had at that time he was happy where he was playing. And the fact that Hibs paid pretty good money during this period, a lot higher than many clubs in the top flight.

1 hour ago, central staggie said:

Does Don Cowie qualify? 

Don would, purely for going on to win Scotland caps and winning two challenge cups and the championship as a player. I meant solely from the playing squad and there's nobody there I'd class on the same level of "legend" as the midfield that won us promotion for the first time.

Rose tinted spectacles, perhaps.

19 hours ago, AJF said:

I suppose it would depend on your interpretation of “legend”.

Personally I think it would be a mixture of extraordinary and outstanding talent (relative to the level of player you’re use to seeing), length of service and impact at the club.

I think in my lifetime there are probably only a handful of people that would fall into that category. Allan McGregor probably comes close to that, but when you consider others such as Ally McCoist, Walter Smith, Andy Goram or Barry Ferguson then it’s maybe not cut and dry.

It’s funny you preempted Tav as an option, which probably means you think he should be highly regarded even if you’re trying to say he shouldn’t be. I don’t think I’d consider him as a club legend, but I think he is more than worthy of his recent induction into our Hall of Fame.

ETA: I’d also argue that putting Callum McGregor and James Forrest into the legend category may be a tad kind on them. If you consider someone like Larsson as a comparative.

Forrest is the only player outwith Jinky and Larsson who has 100 goals and assists for the club and if you consider the volume of trophies won by the pair of them and over what period of time I think you are being a tad harsh on them. 

19 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Forrest is the only player outwith Jinky and Larsson who has 100 goals and assists for the club and if you consider the volume of trophies won by the pair of them and over what period of time I think you are being a tad harsh on them. 

Possibly. As I alluded to in my post, it’s probably subjective.

While they have the longevity and numbers, I just don’t really see either of them as outstanding and to yet be considered in a similar regard as people like Larsson, Johnstone, McNeill etc.

And without going too deep into the obvious reasons why, I think the time period they have both played in hasn’t exactly challenged them too much.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Possibly. As I alluded to in my post, it’s probably subjective.

While they have the longevity and numbers, I just don’t really see either of them as outstanding and to yet be considered in a similar regard as people like Larsson, Johnstone, McNeill etc.

And without going too deep into the obvious reasons why, I think the time period they have both played in hasn’t exactly challenged them too much.

Wouldn’t you then have to apply the same logic to Andy Goram who you referenced earlier? 

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Wouldn’t you then have to apply the same logic to Andy Goram who you referenced earlier? 

But he was an outstanding player. Probably in the top 3 best goalkeepers this country has ever seen.

On 02/03/2023 at 12:04, Steve_Wilkos said:

LOL - this is the SPFL Premiership forum.

Back to your diddy league, Cat Tickler. 

smile-laughing.gif

^^^ not and I'm being very kind, premier badinage, so believe me when I suggest that you might be well advised to reconsider your priorities