Club Legends

14 minutes ago, Brian Graham’s Lovely Hair said:

Anyone from the 2016 squad - Stevenson, Hanlon, Boyle, McGregor. Lewy gets extra special status for winning two trophies, seeing off numerous pretenders to the left back throne, and being an all round brilliant guy. 

Lewis is a great guy and he has been a Hibs player for a long long time. He would count as a club legend. But for me a true Hibs club legend is someone like Pat Stanton. Maybe I'm just old.

Edited by AndyM

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Id say the only certified club legends are Wotherspoon and May. Locally born childhood Saints fans who have played hundreds of times for us and won 3 major trophies.

Others are close but for me just lack something that would make them on the same level. O'Halloran has 3 medals too but feels a step below those two. Others like Gordon/Kane will be remembered but not on that level IMO. One offs like Rooney just werent here long enough for it either despite their impact IMO.

MOH is on the same level for me. Had a massive impact on the 2014 win and 2 assists v Motherwell in the QF of the League Cup of the double season that kick started the Cup run.  Three medals at a club like Saints is legendary stuff in my opinion.

History will also see Callum Davidson as a St Johnstone legend.

I think the only two of our current squad to make it in would be Billy Mckay and Aaron Doran. 

Mckays closing in on Dennis Wyness as our top goalscorer, might not make it this season but hopefully he gets another couple of years so he can get there for sure. 3 spells with us and the only negative is he played for County but I’ll not hold that against him 

Doran’s been with us since 2011 and was superb from 2011-2015, since then he’s probably missed as many games as he’s played but due to his longevity and his contributions when he’s injury free I’d class him as a legend. 

2 hours ago, AndyM said:

Lewis is a great guy and he has been a Hibs player for a long long time. He would count as a club legend. But for me a true Hibs club legend is someone like Pat Stanton. Maybe I'm just old.

I think we use the term ‘legend’ too little in Scottish football. Everyone’s too scared of getting pelters for suggesting someone shit. To me, a legend has a little bit to do with performance, but most to do with narrative. It’s closely related to the idea of a ‘cult player’.

By my standards, Lewis isn’t just a current Hibs legend - he’s one of the most important players in our history. Has played for one team, has been dedicated, has done a lot of good work off the pitch, has won two cups (and let’s not forget, one of those cups represented the end of 4-5 generations of anticipation and heartache). Let’s face it, he’s going to have a lot to do with the club once he retires too.

But in terms of story, memory, narrative - all the players mentioned above are legends too. Boyler, Daz, Hanlon. I’d add Sir David too, as I think he’s still somewhere at the club no? 

Edit:

in fact, can I propose a suggested definition? A legend has to either:

- Have won a cup and been a dedicated member of the winning team (so including Fyvie but not Dagnall)

or

- Have been an abnormally good AND dedicated player in relation to your team’s long term performance, without having won a cup (so including Riordan but not…take your pick)

Edited by The Other Foot

Scott Pittman is the one no one would argue with.

Nicky Devlin is probably in with a shout as well, but would probably need to be here a couple more years to nail it down. Captaining us into Europe would help.

Edited by LiviLion

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I suppose he is a long servant by modern standards, but I would struggle to place him as legendary for Hearts (when including Craig G, who absolutely is).

Cases like Gordon who played for us on the upwards and downwards parts of his career are really the only way that players are going to rack up the huge numbers of appearances that would qualify for "club legend" in the past.

https://londonhearts.com/scores/newplayers/aaplayersbyapp.html

Actually how did Lewis Stevenson's "one club man" career even happen?

If he was good enough to play for a half decent Hibs side in his late teens and early twenties and is still good enough to hold down a job with a still non-vintage but respectable Hibs side now then why was he playing in the championship for three seasons in his late twenties peak

3 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I think the only two of our current squad to make it in would be Billy Mckay and Aaron Doran. 

Mckays closing in on Dennis Wyness as our top goalscorer, might not make it this season but hopefully he gets another couple of years so he can get there for sure. 3 spells with us and the only negative is he played for County but I’ll not hold that against him 

Doran’s been with us since 2011 and was superb from 2011-2015, since then he’s probably missed as many games as he’s played but due to his longevity and his contributions when he’s injury free I’d class him as a legend. 

LOL - this is the SPFL Premiership forum.

Back to your diddy league, Cat Tickler. 

smile-laughing.gif

Andy Considine is the only contender from recent years. Still gutted he chose not to see out his career with us.

Russell Anderson would be the only nailed-on legend of the last 20 years or so.

Guys like Hayes, McGinn and Shinnie would probably be one rung below (heroes perhaps?).

3 hours ago, AndyM said:

No.

Ally Shewan would be a club legend as far as I'm concerned.

I am old.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

No.

Ally Shewan would be a club legend as far as I'm concerned.

I am old.

After Eddie Turnbull died Hibs and Aberdeen played a dead rubber end of season league fixture and I got talking to an auld Don in the pub afterwards. Now he was old. Talking about "when Eddie came to Pittodrie in '65 the team was unfit, terrible, club was  a shambles . He turned them into Scottish Cup winners 5 years later."  Loved that. 

1 minute ago, AndyM said:

After Eddie Turnbull died Hibs and Aberdeen played a dead rubber end of season league fixture and I got talking to an auld Don in the pub afterwards. Now he was old. Talking about "when Eddie came to Pittodrie in '65 the team was unfit, terrible, club was  a shambles . He turned them into Scottish Cup winners 5 years later."  Loved that. 

Very true.

He released about half the players at the end of the season.

I suppose the closest of our current squad for "legend " status would be Ryan Flynn. 

Now with the club over 5 years, 

Played over 100 games,

Helped secure the Championship, 

Helped keep us up in the playoffs,

Has had to contend with serious injuries and bounced back every time,

And last but not least, he's nearly always dependable and more than decent in just about every game he plays.