Current SPFL Premiership Grounds as Away Days - Ranked

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Aaah the good old weegie loving the sound of your own whiny nasally voice with pure dead magic banter by the way big man so it is.

Na you’re alright 

disgusted not safe for work GIF

As I said - pretentious wankers.

There are several pubs in Paisley, although admittedly not as many as there used to be, where you could go without experiencing any trouble and have a really good session, if you don't behave like a supercilious prick. Although that most certainly rules you out.

A few of them are five minutes away from the station. Therefore any encounters with neds and junkies should be limited, allowing even the biggest cowardly shitebag to venture forth.

Edited by FTOF

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Funny seeing the variations in opinion often being down to whether going to the boozer is a big part of your fitba day or not.

For example, if you don't go to the pub, I can see why Motherwell wouldn't appeal. But I do, and it's one of my favourites as a result.

St Johnstone and Livi are terrible, Killie isn't great, the Old Firm are both a pain in the arse. The rest are all good with Motherwell, Aberdeen, Dundee (either club) and Ross County among the highlights of any season.

Anyone who watches Scottish football without alcohol being a big part of their experience has my pity.

I think the thing is for me, if I’m going to an away game, 90% of the time it’s because it’s a Saturday afternoon and an excuse for a day out somewhere different to normal with friends and that involves pubs and that kind of thing, I rarely go to away games that aren’t on Saturdays and I rarely go to any where I won’t enjoy myself any more than watching it at home.

What I look for in an away game is completely different to what I look for at home games, I may end up going drinking after a home game but it’s not always the case.

Having said that, in my younger pre-adult days when I first started going to games with pals and I didn’t drink, my list probably wouldn’t be all that different, obviously the top flight was different, I would maybe have Rangers higher but that’s because I was so used to seeing us win there, halcyon days!

On 04/03/2023 at 07:59, RandomGuy. said:

I imagine thats the same "character and atmosphere" that sees Glaswegians claim theyre the funniest people on the planet. 

Being a shitehole overspill of Glasgow apparently = character and atmosphere. A bizarre take, I have to say.

Best away trip for me is Ross County. Train to Dingwall, few pints in the Mallard. The ground is alright, nothing special, then often a night out in Inverness which is always decent. Dundee United, Hibs & Hearts are the other good away days in the league - not arsed for any of the other ones tbh. Livi’s the only one I’ve never been to yet though.

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Being a shitehole overspill of Glasgow apparently = character and atmosphere. A bizarre take, I have to say.

Best away trip for me is Ross County. Train to Dingwall, few pints in the Mallard. The ground is alright, nothing special, then often a night out in Inverness which is always decent. Dundee United, Hibs & Hearts are the other good away days in the league - not arsed for any of the other ones tbh. Livi’s the only one I’ve never been to yet though.

The Mallard is all fine and well, but I find these days it's best to get in there right early doors for a couple there before heading into town to a different boozer. For Hearts games anyway, The Mallard is just absolutely fucking rammed full of Young Team. Takes forever to get served, toilet queue a mile long with lads doing ching, roasting inside as it gets busy.

18 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

The Mallard is all fine and well, but I find these days it's best to get in there right early doors for a couple there before heading into town to a different boozer. For Hearts games anyway, The Mallard is just absolutely fucking rammed full of Young Team. Takes forever to get served, toilet queue a mile long with lads doing ching, roasting inside as it gets busy.

It seemed to be ladies night in the Mallard last night, maybe they were just dressed up as the Motherwell boys were in town.

33 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Ching, very down wiv da kidz.

On 04/03/2023 at 11:41, FTOF said:

As I said - pretentious wankers.

There are several pubs in Paisley, although admittedly not as many as there used to be, where you could go without experiencing any trouble and have a really good session, if you don't behave like a supercilious prick. Although that most certainly rules you out.

A few of them are five minutes away from the station. Therefore any encounters with neds and junkies should be limited, allowing even the biggest cowardly shitebag to venture forth.

You’re really not taking a few St Johnstone fans saying they don’t rate st Mirren as an away day very well at all are you?

On 03/03/2023 at 12:04, PauloPerth said:

It’s absolutely fair enough and hard to argue.. But then when the same folk also say they enjoy away visits to Kilmarnock, Motherwell or st Mirren then you know they’re absolute no righters!!

Genuinely, none of those three offer anything; all dreadful grounds, and would anyone seriously consider going for a day out in motherwell, Kilmarnock or Paisley?!! The only exception is when you get the end section of the main Stand at Fir Park, then the match is generally a far better experience.

StMirrenaway.thumb.png.0e6b5ed9cba6f6b73f03dd30b18733f3.png

One of these grounds is not like the others,

Motherwellaway.thumb.png.3e76563733f46ecaf4beb7d7cf566953.png

One of these grounds doesn't belong,

Killieaway.thumb.png.fd054b4005e97c173eeb5b24a774bb2c.png

Can you tell which ground is not like the others

StJohnstoneaway.thumb.png.e3de0799567c75a83d45531355a70062.png

By the time I finish my song?

Since that Tiermaker thing is taking over Twitter I thought I'd present my opinions in that format:

image.thumb.png.04e85772c320c47e4f51780414020215.png

Excellent away days:

Hearts: would be nice if it didn't fill me with absolute fucking dread every time.

Hibs: yes, it is a bit smug and weegie-type behaviour to put your own ground in there, but face facts. It's a class trip.

Ross County: the pinnacle.

Good away days:

Dundee United: if you're in a full Shed as we were in March 2017 then it elevates to excellent, but the Jim McLean stand is a dump and the stewards are c***s. Great city for drinking in mind you.

Motherwell: great town for drinking in and if you have a decent number of fans going through the stand behind the goal is class.

Average away days:

Aberdeen: good city to drink in, Pittodrie is a dump but it's historic all the same. Think Hibs' horrendous record here puts a bad perspective on it.

St Mirren: bit soulless as a ground (Love Street fwiw would still be top of the top) but the pubs in Paisley are excellent despite what the tory farmers say.

Poor away days:

Celtic and Rangers: utterly interchangeable in my mind and don't enjoy them one bit. Paying £30+ to watch the daytrippers from Ireland try and "get one over you" when their £4m striker scores the third. No thank you. Glasgow pubs are alright but obviously not the ones near the grounds, which are full of the literal scum of the earth. Firhill is obviously the Thinking Man's away trip.

Kilmarnock: the ground is terrible. Shite plastic pitch and they stick you up in the gods which makes for a better view but a worse atmosphere. Only on rare occasions like the 2013 quarter final do we take a crowd through that suddenly makes it one of the best (like Motherwell is).

Awful away days:

Livingston: soulless bowl, our worst type of fans goes along, we quite often lose and the pub options around there are terrible in the main. If you like football because you drive to and from the ground quickly, go and follow rugby please.

St Johnstone: all of the above except the corners aren't filled in. Tayside police and stewards are similarly cretins. 2.4 miles away from the station and their fans see no problem with this. Again, if jumping in your car and getting away quickly after a game is for you – then great. But they either need to build a rail station there or just knock it down.

Edited by HibsFan