Ross County v Motherwell - Kettlewell Derby (04/03/22)

Had a very odd feeling coming away from that game yesterday, in that we got beat but I actually felt weirdly positive? Decisions (rightfully) went against us and ultimately we were punished. That being said, that’s now two games this season where we have been very much on top (yesterday and St J at home) that Baldwin has been sent off and it’s turned the game around. For me, that result was on him yesterday and he should be questioned. 

I thought we looked pretty decent up until the red card to be honest. It was just one of those days where nothing would really go for us. The addition of Kenneh and Brophy really has turned the team around. We have a proper enforcer in the middle of the park for the first time since, what, Draper? Brophy also gives us something really different and whilst he didn’t get the rub of the green yesterday I’m confident he’ll add to his tally before the end of the season.

I didn’t think Motherwell were great in all honesty. It seemed to me like they were happy with the point before the goals. The two goals were very much sucker punches. That being said, I don’t know how many times they’ve done that to us in Dingwall so I should definitely be used to it by now. I think adding a few proper b*****ds to their team in Butcher and Casey will see them through and I think that’s them out trouble now.

Finally, massive respect to the travelling Well fans for taking part in the minutes applause yesterday. In a week where we’ve seen a set of scum bags disrespect the dead in Scottish football, it was heartening to see the Well fans join in and show their appreciation. Real good eggs, nice one lads.

17 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Finally, massive respect to the travelling Well fans for taking part in the minutes applause yesterday. In a week where we’ve seen a set of scum bags disrespect the dead in Scottish football, it was heartening to see the Well fans join in and show their appreciation. Real good eggs, nice one lads.

The sad thing is - we are really practiced in it. Over the past few years a Fir Park, we've had way too many of these minutes applause before 25 mins (and usually a lot less) is gone in a game - and it gets to me every time. For a relatively small support to lose so many young guys in such a short period shows how bad it's become - and that's the reason that there is a lot of suicide awareness/prevention stuff going at the club (Alan Burrows work on that was beyond reproach).

4 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Totally agree with the highlights reel, never a red card, there was no need for VAR to get involved. Laidlaw was several yards off his line and would have got to the ball before anyone.

County will play worse than that and win matches.

Aye, completely spineless decision. He should have looked at the video footage and stuck with his original call, which was correct. Laidlaw was off his line, and Randall was in attendance. 

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I genuinely didn’t know why I was clapping and still don’t know the details but it was evident there was a genuine reason so I participated.  I think that’s the third time in the last 2 seasons I have witnessed the players and officials join in.  That is very dependent on what the phase of play is.

3 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Aye, completely spineless decision. He should have looked at the video footage and stuck with his original call, which was correct. Laidlaw was off his line, and Randall was in attendance. 

I was broadly in line with the incident and expected a red card, I just shrugged my shoulders when the yellow came out, I didn’t expect further action.

An interesting vagary of the game is that when the penalty was awarded the Motherwell player was booked but when it was overturned because the Ross County player had committed a similar transgression first, he was not booked.

Is it a red because of the nature of the challenge as opposed to a clear goal scoring opportunity? It’s pretty cynical and pretty high. We’ve seen reds given in the past when there’s plenty of defenders in between the foul and the goal (Callum Lang in this very fixture a couple of years ago springs to mind).

To clarify, no way do I think it is a red, I’m just trying to work out what the referees were thinking.

The rule isn't about denying an absolute certainty nailed-on goal, it's a goal scoring opportunity. Without a lot more lines than VAR can draw, and the use of calculus and a probability analysis, I think it's fair to say an opportunity was there.  Van Veen is already in motion after a ball that he's played, 'keeper is rooted, however many yards out. I can see why a red's been given after some of the angles of the incident, although I'd be raging if it had been against us.

However, there's no way on earth that VAR should ever have been involved in the first place.

2 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Had a very odd feeling coming away from that game yesterday, in that we got beat but I actually felt weirdly positive? Decisions (rightfully) went against us and ultimately we were punished. That being said, that’s now two games this season where we have been very much on top (yesterday and St J at home) that Baldwin has been sent off and it’s turned the game around. For me, that result was on him yesterday and he should be questioned. 

I thought we looked pretty decent up until the red card to be honest. It was just one of those days where nothing would really go for us. The addition of Kenneh and Brophy really has turned the team around. We have a proper enforcer in the middle of the park for the first time since, what, Draper? Brophy also gives us something really different and whilst he didn’t get the rub of the green yesterday I’m confident he’ll add to his tally before the end of the season.

I didn’t think Motherwell were great in all honesty. It seemed to me like they were happy with the point before the goals. The two goals were very much sucker punches. That being said, I don’t know how many times they’ve done that to us in Dingwall so I should definitely be used to it by now. I think adding a few proper b*****ds to their team in Butcher and Casey will see them through and I think that’s them out trouble now.

Youve pretty much summed us up.

Under Hammell, we looked much nicer on the eye for large parts of the season.

But we were too nice, we lost too many soft goals and it was killing us.

Kettlewell has come in and basically employed low risk safety first football. We clear our lines and play what football we can in the final third.

Butcher and Casey coming in in the window have plugged the holes at the back and Obika, limited though he is, has allowed KVV to re-discover his mojo.

Still early days, but we already look a far better bet to survive than we had previiously.

Brophy is a player I like a lot. He has always caused us problems with his movement at Killie and St Mirren. Youve donr well to get him in.

I was wondering to what extent we had wasted time during the match to get 9 additional minutes. (You don’t notice it when it is your team.) But there was probably 4 minutes of VAR and then six separate substitute stoppages so on reflection 9 minutes was reasonable.

I’ve seen it back several times, and I have to say I’m baffled by the number of people saying they don’t think it’s a red. Baldwin is quite clearly last man and he’s stopping a goalscoring opportunity. The only reason Van Veen’s touch is so heavy is because he knows Baldwin is about to come clattering through the side of him. I thought it was a stonewall red. 

Just now, Matty-RCFC said:

I’ve seen it back several times, and I have to say I’m baffled by the number of people saying they don’t think it’s a red. Baldwin is quite clearly last man and he’s stopping a goalscoring opportunity. The only reason Van Veen’s touch is so heavy is because he knows Baldwin is about to come clattering through the side of him. I thought it was a stonewall red. 

Aye.

Like, I don't think it's controversial at all.

The question of whether VAR needed to get involved after Robertson had initially given it as a yellow is a different story I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Folk going on about "the goalie would have got there" etc baffle me. The fact is the boy took out KVV (quite high and recklessly I felt) and stopped a goalscoring opportunity. The ref can't and none of them have ever dealt in "what if"'s

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The question of whether VAR needed to get involved after Robertson had initially given it as a yellow is a different story I suppose.

I thought that was the point of it. Goals, pens, offside and possible red cards? Maybe I am wrong tbf.

Edited by Busta Nut

Just now, Busta Nut said:

I thought that was the point of it. Goals, pens, offside and possible red cards? Maybe I am wrong tbf.

It's the question of refereeing the game by proxy I suppose.

Robertson saw the challenge and the context and gave the initial decision. He didn't *miss* it. You then ask if it's a clear and obvious error or whatever.

As I say, I don't think a red card for the challenge is at all controversial but I can see why folk would be annoyed after the referee having initially given it as a yellow. Having said that, we've seen a few instances of VAR suggesting to the ref that they upgrade or downgrade cards.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Folk going on about "the goalie would have got there" etc baffle me. The fact is the boy took out KVV (quite high and recklessly I felt) and stopped a goalscoring opportunity. The ref can't and none of them have ever dealt in "what if"'s

The keeper could have got there just after Van Veen and brought him down so it could have been a penalty, the keeper could have been off.  They could have What Ifd loads of scenarios.

My initial reaction was that it was a red as Van Veen’s white strip was clearly beyond the Ross County defence then he was on the floor.  I only shrugged at the yellow as I am drilled into thinking that good things don’t happen for Motherwell.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It's the question of refereeing the game by proxy I suppose.

Robertson saw the challenge and the context and gave the initial decision. He didn't *miss* it. You then ask if it's a clear and obvious error or whatever.

As I say, I don't think a red card for the challenge is at all controversial but I can see why folk would be annoyed after the referee having initially given it as a yellow. Having said that, we've seen a few instances of VAR suggesting to the ref that they upgrade or downgrade cards.

This is very much my view. I thought it was a stick on red card, and thought it was a poor decision to book him.

That said, I don't really agree with VAR being involved in it either. Had he played on, then yes I'd expect action on that front, but he saw it, judged it to be a booking, fine.

Maybe I'm just an argumentative p***k.