Parole

scottsdad

Watched the first 2 episodes, and really interesting. Looking at how the parole board decides on whether prisoners get released or not. Each episode follows a couple of cases, looking back at the original crime and how the prisoners have progressed (or not). 

Mondays on BBC2. 

The last episode was about a trans guy with clear mental health issues who was banged up for arson and a guy who bludgeoned a 19 year old girl to death with a hammer for...£20. The latter had been in jail for 15 years and was looking to move to an open prison. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve watched three episodes. The guy who was doing an indeterminate sentence for armed robbery, seemed to be really trying, he’d clearly been working to come to terms with his shite start to life, doing well in prison, working with the doctors etc. He gets his release and then at the end…… 

back inside after four weeks out for dealing drugs in his halfway house! Great work mate! Fucking hell.

On 19/03/2023 at 21:02, ICTChris said:

Watching this now, the first episode is interesting. The story the conman told about being exploited in Russia is world level “Did ye aye?”.

Just watched episode one. Agree with the verdicts. 

I'm not sure funny is the right word but it's relativley amusing how the second fella didn't realise the situation he was in. The guy that had murdered someone clearly understood he should be talking about successful attempts at anger management and how he has learned to manage his emotions now whereas you have the guy who's literally been incarcerated for lying to people trying to spin some clearly Jay from the Inbetweeners inspired story about his trip to Russia. It's like some of these habitual liars really can't help themselves from lying even if they are staring down extreme consequences. 

Watched episode four last night. 

The fucker from Leeds was even worse than armed robbery life sentence guy - goes on camera saying "I want to be home for Christmas, make sure I see my kids grow up, I love them so much, I'm making so much progress".  Gets released, six months later - doesn't even make it to the hostel, recalled within a day!  What a fucking loser.

Felt sorry for the guy who had his meeting adjourned - he had committed some nasty crimes but the whole thing was utter farcical.  He was calmer than I would've been in that situation - "sorry, your parole officer hasn't done their job so you're going to be in prison for the next six months no matter what".

From the final episode so will put it in spoilers, but

Spoiler

Felt genuinely bad for the boy who kept getting his hearing put off because the probation service hadn’t got round to talking to him yet. I get that obviously he’s in there for a reason, and his offences were pretty serious, but still must be fucking dreadful knowing that you’re staying inside for an extra six months because the justice system is underfunded, regardless of what you have done. 

The other boy on the episode who was wanting out for Christmas seemed, and I feel slightly bad saying this, like an irredeemable moron. 

• 2 months later...