Heart of Midlothian v The Better Saints

This is quietly a massive game for us.  We've a tricky runcoming up and 3 points here maintains a good buffer going into that.  Lose and the teams below us can close the gap to an uncomfortable level.

Performance levels have been below par so getting 3 points tucked away here with a good display would be very nice thank you.

1-1 draw it is.

2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

This is quietly a massive game for us.  We've a tricky runcoming up and 3 points here maintains a good buffer going into that.  Lose and the teams below us can close the gap to an uncomfortable level.

Performance levels have been below par so getting 3 points tucked away here with a good display would be very nice thank you.

1-1 draw it is.

Aye agree with this. Not exactly a must win, but it's a "could really do with a win" game.  Got a few away games coming up and I don't trust us to win anywhere on the road just now, so 3 points would be a big help in keeping teams at bay. Would also be a good pick me up after the state of our last performance.

A win here likely takes us out of the playoff picture altogether. 

No philips is a big loss, but hopefully Davidson doesn’t shit the bed and takes the game to Hearts. 

32 minutes ago, mizfit said:

A win here likely takes us out of the playoff picture altogether. 

No philips is a big loss, but hopefully Davidson doesn’t shit the bed and takes the game to Hearts. 

Wont hold my breath 

Sure i seen there was talk of "changing the system" because Phillips is out.

So...

Wright - Mitchell - Gordon - Considine - Montgomery 

Carey - MacPherson - Hallberg - McLennan

May

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

So...

May

He did indeed say it might have to happen.

I was thinking maybe he'll try playing two goalkeepers? 

Or 5-5-0.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

So...

May

Yep, I saw that chat somewhere too.

You just know Zander is going to have an amazing game here. Sneaky feeling we may take something from this though. A game I'm sure Phillips would have thrived in, but given the amount of options we have there, should still be pretty tough to break down hopefully. I'll go 1-1 with May scoring. 

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

Really looking forward to the change of shape. I wonder what Callum Davidson will come up with?

The usual playing an attacking midfielder out of position in place of Phillips, which he has done loads of times, usually with the same result. Square pegs in round holes is something he excels at. He might change the defence, with players out of position obviously, just because he can. I for one cannot wait, might just go to Bannermans to watch wee Rabs band and meet everyone after the game. 

On 01/03/2023 at 14:21, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

1-1 draw it is.

Summed up well for me. Although I think we will bounce back after the Motherwell shitshow and get the three points. I also think this could be when our nearest rival’s purple patch comes to an end. Lead in third back up to a reasonable seven points hopefully.

Shame Ryan McGowan is out injured as he would have been a reasonable replacement for Phillips in terms of adding a bit of bite to our midfield.

Arguably our three most physical central midfielders are all out for this if you include Murray Davidson, and hearts are usually physical in that area themselves.

Despite Callum’s comments, I’ll be surprised if we move away from the back 5.  The obvious thing to do is bring Wotherspoon in for Phillips and leave the rest. 

Crawford, O’Halloran and wee Max out on loan, Phillips suspended, Davidson and McGowan injured.  That’s quite a significant chunk of our midfield options that we’re missing compared to a couple of months ago.  Still having Wotherspoon, Murphy and Carey to bring in makes you realise how many players we have/ had to play across the midfield.

The sensible thing would be drop Melker deeper, I know it stifles his play but he is more mobile than both Spoony and Carey, and play one of them or Murphy further forward. Can Melker tackle, win the ball, then spread play? Probably not but neither can Carey and he continues to try that one.

Will be interested to see if we stick with Humphrys or bring Gino right back in.

Ideally we bin the 3 at the back and add an extra player, Grant ideally, into the middle of the park, but I can't see it. I'd also get Rowles back in, probably for Hill.

6 hours ago, tree house tam said:

The usual playing an attacking midfielder out of position in place of Phillips, which he has done loads of times, usually with the same result. Square pegs in round holes is something he excels at. He might change the defence, with players out of position obviously, just because he can. I for one cannot wait, might just go to Bannermans to watch wee Rabs band and meet everyone after the game. 

Hes claiming that the only reason we dont play "passing football" is because of our pitch, so it suggests we'll be seeing Carey in beside MacPherson to me.

8 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Will be interested to see if we stick with Humphrys or bring Gino right back in.

Ideally we bin the 3 at the back and add an extra player, Grant ideally, into the middle of the park, but I can't see it. I'd also get Rowles back in, probably for Hill.

Not happening unfortunately.

Rowles for Hill, Gino for Humphrys and maybe Grant for Devlin and that'll be it I suspect.