Footballing late bloomers

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Hartley might well have been decent at St Johnstone, but it was at Hearts that he really flourished. And not right away either.

Weir began his professional career with Falkirk at 22, which is relatively late. I don't think anyone is saying he "bloomed" at Rangers. He was great at Hearts.

I saw his debut versus Dundee United, and he never gave Duncan Ferguson the slightest sniff. Absolutely unreal debut. We were all looking at each other thinking we've struck gold here.

About 4 or 5 years later, I met the young lady who would become my wife, and it turns out she knew DW from his young days before he went to the States. Even went on a double date with her lad at the time, and DW+1.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Claudio Caniggia.

Bait GIF

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

Caniggia was the breakout star of the Italia 90 World Cup at 22 years old and was already playing in the best league in the world at that point. 

Movie gif. Jim Carrey as Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber slaps his forehead in frustration.

53 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Latapy had won the Portugese League twice under Bobby Robson at Porto, and the cup at Boavista, also starring for both sides in European competition, before he fetched up at Easter Road.

Did not know that. Scratch him off the list then. 😄

Decent late summer for the guy then. 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Chic Charnley, floated about various teams like Ayr United, Clydebank and Accies. Had some top flight experience, certainly at Hamilton. Wound up the Rangers fans, or at least they knew he was a Celtic fan and got a red card at Ibrox. I don't think it was too long before he rocked up at Firhill for his first of three or four spells. 

Did well with Thistle and got a move alongside Davie Elliott to St Mirren, who were in the top-flight at the time.

Ended up at Firhill again when Thistle were in the top-flight and St Mirren were in the first division  

Played well and was even linked with Lou Macari's Celtic but that fell through despite playing in a testimonial for the Hoops.

Left and went to Dumbarton, got a move to Dundee where he was a bit of a cult hero too. 

Ended up going to Hibs where he debuted and robbed the ball from some dread-locked Swedish guy to fire a spectacular winner. No idea what happened to the Swede. . 

Not sure if Chic had anymore top flight games but had two further short spells with the Jags. 

Was abkut 23 when got a run with the Accies, was around 40 when he last played, for the Jags, around 2002/03.

Made his Premier Division debut for St. Mirren at age 19 away to Hibs. The stadium announcer called him out as James Charnley.

42 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Made his Premier Division debut for St. Mirren at age 19 away to Hibs. The stadium announcer called him out as James Charnley.

26 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

maybe because his name is james charnley!!!!

Aye, Chic was just a nickname from selling/ delivering frozen chickens up in Possil and Saracen 😂

12 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Dougie Arnott. Arrived at Motherwell from Pollok when he was 22.

Yeah that's who I was coming to say.

I think it took him a few more years to make his mark and be consistently used by Tommy McLean after his transition from junior football. Loved watching Dougie and Tommy Coyne back in the day.

Hmm I think Paul Hartley was my go-to, and probably the best answer so far. David Weir started late, but I think that was mainly down to taking time out for his education and then was always pretty good. Scottish Cup with Hearts, solid career at Everton, then Rangers.

How about Stephen O'Donnell (with all due respect to Partick Thistle)? 

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Andy considine spent a long time around our first team ranging from ok to clownshoes. He won our player of the year in 2012 but that wasn’t a particularly high bar. 

It was only mcinnes coming in in 2013 where he became reliable and solid, before evolving into more of a goal threat and popping up with some really memorable moments in the latter era with Derek, obviously culminating in a first Scotland cap in his 30’s. 

He scored a double in the QoTS Scottish Cup semi-final debacle and also a consolation in the League Cup semi-final Tynecastle debacle the same season (2007/08) so he was always a goal threat.

In fact, the first time I really took much notice of him was when he scored two goals away at St Mirren which was around January 2007 because I was holidaying in Krakow at the time and remember being suprised abour our double goalscoring man.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

That Riyad Mahrez was shite as a youngster, St Mirren were well rid of the wee dud. Amazed he bloomed at all. Useless every time we saw him. Erm…

*Did sell-on clauses exist then? Please tell me they didn’t.

The man had to become a thief to escape Paisley. He always had his head screwed on.

19 hours ago, gannonball said:

I appreciate he had reignited his career a fair bit at Rangers but he was an EPL defender for years and would say he only ended up at Rangers as his legs went a bit but Rangers played a way to counter this as well as having a rapid centre back in Bougherra beside him.

I was meaning more the fact that he didn’t turn pro until he was in his 20s and then had the career that he did.

13 hours ago, Radford said:

Billy Stark was an atrocious football manager but he did one notable thing during a turgid three years with St Johnstone and that was convert Paul Hartley from a winger.

He was the only bright spot for a couple of seasons, hence the reason Craig Levein signed him. He was far more than "decent" for Saints, although obviously continued his upwards trajectory upon leaving.

He was playing in the second tier. I think it's fair to say his career took off at Hearts.