Queen's Park ⚫​​​​​​​⚪ v The Ton 🔵⚪ 4-3-23

We're on a run of three wins in a row, but QP have the upper hand going into this, simply because of the 7-point gap. A win for QP effectively puts us out of the title race before we've quite got into it; a win for Morton, on the other hand...

A draw might suit Dundee better than either of us, but I fear that's how it will finish.

1-1.

11 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

We're on a run of three wins in a row, but QP have the upper hand going into this, simply because of the 7-point gap. A win for QP effectively puts us out of the title race before we've quite got into it; a win for Morton, on the other hand...

A draw might suit Dundee better than either of us, but I fear that's how it will finish.

1-1.

Considering the way the last 2 games against you have gone, I'd be tempted to take a draw.

1 minute ago, Arachnophile said:

Considering the way the last 2 games against you have gone, I'd be tempted to take a draw.

Aye, in the context of the 7-point gap to us, it suits you fine... with Dundee at home on Tuesday and then away to Cove on Saturday, it might not (assuming of course  they don't continue with their clown-car attempts to throw the league away, which can't be ruled out).

It's stick or twist time all round: draws keep you in the play-off hunt; wins required to win the league; defeats potentially fatal (as it would be for us on Saturday with regard to any possibility of finishing top).

We probably could have got a point at Cappielow if not for 90 seconds of madness from Ferrie, as we were much better in the second half, but overall there can be few complaints at picking up zero points from our two meetings so far this season. If we decide to be the team that actually wants to win this league, we need to step up against Morton and then Dundee and take something off them. 

No idea if Kilday is able to come back from injury yet, if not it'll be a real test for Eze who has looked much better in recent performances but the opponents haven't necessarily troubled him too much. Otherwise, I'd probably keep the same lineup this week including Healy, who did start the game quite slowly but grew into it and got his goal. When he came on at Cappielow he caused a few problems, so would like to see him really go at the opposing fullback from the start. 

If Thistle can do us a favour tomorrow night I'll take a draw, otherwise give me a scrappy 1-0 victory for Moneybags FC.

Edited by Dave

We’ve been miles off it against Morton in the two previous games. Need to impose ourselves and compete better in the more industrial aspects of the game if we’re going to earn the right to play the way we can. 

I’d hope we’d be well fired up with a wee point to prove for this one. We were exceptional on Saturday and that’ll certainly put a spring in the step. If we’re going to win the title, it’s going to be built on what we do in March. Hopefully our neighbours across the city can do us a wee turn before Saturday as well. 

Should be another tough game at Ochilview. We were beaten in every department in the games we’ve played so far including being physically bullied which has played a factor in games against Dundee and especially Morton. After the brilliant showing against Hamilton, Queens now have the momentum to get some results between now and the end of the season and If we’re serious on Winning the championship, we’ll need to get as many points as possible from the games against the teams at the top which includes Morton. It’ll be too close to call and I’ll happily take a point but I have faith that the team can break this little hoodoo against the Ton.

I see we’re talking about increasing the capacity for Saturday, which I assume means opening behind the goals at the other end. Having capacity issues in a stadium bigger then the one we’re actually building. That forty seater royal box looking a real shrewd bit of business. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

I see we’re talking about increasing the capacity for Saturday, which I assume means opening behind the goals at the other end. Having capacity issues in a stadium bigger then the one we’re actually building. That forty seater royal box looking a real shrewd bit of business. 

It might have been an adequate stadium for League 2, would be occasionally troublesome in League 1, way too small for the Championship, and ridiculously unacceptable for the Premiership. But it's going to be "bigger and better" than the original plans.

Big decisions in team selection for Imrie here, in a good problem to have way.

The subs all made an impact on Saturday. Grimshaw adds a lot of tenacity to the midfield but he's a much better defender than Pignatiello and against a team with Queen's Park's attacking prowess you'd want your strongest defence on the park, while Blues and Crawford as a sitting two in midfield were both excellent last time against them.

McGrattan has had two poor games in possession in a row so could have few complaints about being dropped, while Miller was excellent off the bench and was man of the match in his last start before being injured. However McGrattan's also the best defensive winger we've got while Oakley is the best attacking full back in the division, so nullifying him could be vital while the difference in our records with and without McGrattan is ridiculous.

If we were moving Grimshaw to defence and having Blues & Robbie Crawford sit, rather than putting Gillespie in and keeping Crawford advanced, you've also got the question of who plays as the most advanced of the midfield three. Muirhead has only lost his place in the team through being injured having done nothing wrong so it'd be harsh on him not to start when fit again, and having him in that role playing off Oakley also worked at Cappielow last time v QP. However that's not really a long term solution, it's clearly not his best position and they could have a plan to exploit the space in midfield us having a natural centre forward there allows them.

The other option is Ali Crawford, who would be going into his natural position and we didn't sign a player of that pedigree to sit on the bench, but that'd be adding yet another tiny player to the midfield against a team who already have the attributes to physically dominate us.

Having real squad depth providing dilemmas like this was unimaginable 2 months ago and is testament to how good a window Imrie had, even with losing our best player to injury in January as well.

Perfect summary of the ( good) headache from Dunning.

I think it all comes down to if Gillespie is match fit for me. If he is, fully expect him to come back in and move Grimshaw  back to RB.

If not, i think Grimshaw starts in the middle as i cant see him going into an away game against the leaders without one of those 2 sitting to give us a bit of steel. Gillespie only played 25 mins in 4 weeks so I'm expecting him to sit out, even if available.

Also agree that we won't have signed Ali Crawford to come off the bench, he was doing that for St Johnstone most weeks so i think Dougie will be looking to start him which means either Robbie Crawford or Blues drops out. I like Blues, but I think Robbie would be the better option.

Miller done very well when he came on so wouldn't be surprised if he takes the place of McGrattan.

Schwake.

Carlo O'Connor Baird Waters

R.Crawford Grimshaw.

Quitongo  A.Crawford  Miller.

Oakley.

Bench- Green, Ambrose, Gillespie, King, McGrattan, Blues, Muirhead. Roy, Garrity.

Classic 6 pointer, if we win, we are right in contention to win this league, lose and its a fight for the playoffs.

A draw would be fine with the chance to close the gap to 4 points on Tuesday but we should be absolutely looking to pick up the 3 points here, especially having already beat Queens twice. I doubt they are looking forward to playing us.

With the team full of confidence, a bigger than usual travelling support and the strongest bench we've had all season,  i think we might just do it.

1-2.

19 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

QP’s manager has already admitted that Dougie has his number, by saying we bullied them all over the pitch. So his players will run out onto the pitch fearing our big 5ft 6 bullies.      In a game of chess it’s check Owen!

Reverse psychology...

...or something

7 hours ago, madton said:

Perfect summary of the ( good) headache from Dunning.

I think it all comes down to if Gillespie is match fit for me. If he is, fully expect him to come back in and move Grimshaw  back to RB.

If not, i think Grimshaw starts in the middle as i cant see him going into an away game against the leaders without one of those 2 sitting to give us a bit of steel. Gillespie only played 25 mins in 4 weeks so I'm expecting him to sit out, even if available.

Also agree that we won't have signed Ali Crawford to come off the bench, he was doing that for St Johnstone most weeks so i think Dougie will be looking to start him which means either Robbie Crawford or Blues drops out. I like Blues, but I think Robbie would be the better option.

Miller done very well when he came on so wouldn't be surprised if he takes the place of McGrattan.

Schwake.

Carlo O'Connor Baird Waters

R.Crawford Grimshaw.

Quitongo  A.Crawford  Miller.

Oakley.

Bench- Green, Ambrose, Gillespie, King, McGrattan, Blues, Muirhead. Roy, Garrity.

Agree that a lot will turn on whether Gillespie is properly match-fit, but I'll be astonished if he drops Blues: him and Crawford have become essential for our ability to play with the intensity Imrie wants us to (and, as has been shown, we need to if we're going to get results).

Think it might be either Gillespie or A. Crawford who miss out on Saturday... and bear in mind we're Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday this week: no way the same 11 can start all three games,* given we way we play. We've already begun to see the value of the bigger squad with substitutions; we're about to see what it gives us in terms of rotation.

[* Does not apply to Grimshaw, who could probably play a game every couple of days till May...]

More than confident getting a result here to make it 3 win out of 3 against Queens , feel good factor is definitely felt around the club, confidence is sky high with the squad and fans 

let’s do it for McGraw