Queens v Airdrie

1 minute ago, Manwithnoball said:

Can I ask what they were please?

We gave a poor Airdrie side a way back into the game twice when they never looked like scoring in that second half. 

The number of poor passes was comfortably in the doubles before HT and continued into the second. 

We reverted to high balls once Airdrie pulled their goals back rather than continue to attack successfully down the flanks.

Our biggest threat was never close to scoring* as he was used to hold and lay the ball off (but if we continue to win it's a sacrifice I'll take, but you really want your biggest goal threat in the box)

I didn't want to focus on them as it's a rare feeling leaving Palmerston happy. But it was clear to see we have a lot of work to do still, particularly individual errors. That first half wasn't much better than the Dunfermline game and we know how it went against them. I expect it'll be the same against Falkirk unless we can cut out the slack passes. 

* Other than a good chance in the first half. 

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Airdrie's second was a Hendrie own goal wasn't it?  Tell me I'm not going mad.

The BBC don't seem to think it was an own goal at all.  It looked pretty clear cut to me.

Do you mean the first? Notice Livescore have it down as an Airdrie player. Fucking hell it was the most obvious OG you're likely to see :lol:

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We gave a poor Airdrie side a way back into the game twice when they never looked like scoring in that second half. 

The number of poor passes was comfortably in the doubles before HT and continued into the second. 

We reverted to high balls once Airdrie pulled their goals back rather than continue to attack successfully down the flanks.

Our biggest threat was never close to scoring* as he was used to hold and lay the ball off (but if we continue to win it's a sacrifice I'll take, but you really want your biggest goal threat in the box)

I didn't want to focus on them as it's a rare feeling leaving Palmerston happy. But it was clear to see we have a lot of work to do still, particularly individual errors. That first half wasn't much better than the Dunfermline game and we know how it went against them. I expect it'll be the same against Falkirk unless we can cut out the slack passes. 

* Other than a good chance in the first half. 

Cheers appreciate that. As I said pre match Bartley obviously now has players he trusts and feels starting them including the ghost is his best team. Cochrane has excelled since the new manager came in. With Wilson, Connelly and McGrory nowhere near the starting line up. Never thought we would play Cochrane over Wilson but fair play he has stepped up. Always thought Paton flattered and he misses more than he scores. He is nowhere near ready to step up to anything above the championship. 

Odd kind of game. At times messy and frustrating but there were periods of really good play from Queens. Can definitely see improvements, however, the capacity to throw a winnable game still very much exists. To focus on the positives; Cochrane’s a different player under Bartley. Always wanted the ball and largely efficient with it. Showed a bit of bite as well defensively. Brydon looked solid, really impressed with him today. And McKechnie looked decent today. Industrious, positive and a great finish to boot. 

Not sure what to make of the refereeing either. Think he tried to let the game flow but some decisions, for both teams, debatable. I’d like to see the penalty incident again. I thought it should have been given but need to see a replay. 

24 minutes ago, rubber_duck said:

Not sure what to make of the refereeing either. Think he tried to let the game flow but some decisions, for both teams, debatable. I’d like to see the penalty incident again. I thought it should have been given but need to see a replay. 

Commented in the first half that I thought he was letting the game flow really well and there were very few free kicks. Then he seemed to make up for it in the second half stopping play far too often. The highlight for me was the long haired CB for Airdrie pulling Irving back and not getting what was the clearest yellow card of the game and about a minute later he was eventually booked for another foul. He should have been off. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Didn't deserve anything from that today, lucky to get away with 3-2. Gave away horrendous goals and our own play in the attacking third was hopeless, largely down to Frizzell looking like a pub player today. He could barely control the ball and had no idea what to do around the penalty area. McCabe is also a total passenger in there, McMaster did more in his brief time on the park than McCabe did in the whole game.

Queens made the mistake early on of trying to pass out from the back on an awful surface, once they stopped that and used a bit of common sense there was only one winner.

This is spot on. I thought we edged the first half hour but in truth it was two poor teams and felt like an end of season mid-table clash. Once Queens got their goal our heads dropped as usual and then another soft goal gives us a mountain to climb. We were very fortunate with the own goal that got us back into it but even then we couldn’t capitalise on it and the same with our second goal. That was the two softest teams in the league, as shown by us being dreadful but still getting back into the game twice, but just miles off it today. 

I agree on McCabe. I was critical of McMaster coming on as I thought a like for like sub was a poor choice but he did well, he’s not the strongest but he was the only midfielder who held his own against Todd and more importantly he held his position rather than sitting incredibly deep like McCabe does. I agree on Frizzell, I really like him but I thought today emphasised all of his weaknesses (lack of pace, needing an extra touch, too one footed). Possibly the most disappointing performance of the season.

Good win but we made hard work of it .

3 good goals but we will get nowhere defending like that really just give Airdrie 2 goals .

Our passing was good at times but this passing out from the back just does not work the amount of times we lost the ball in our own half is asking for trouble.

The keeper just needs to clear it not try silly passes when he has it. 

Much more of a threat going forward playing 4-5-1

22 hours ago, DiamondT said:

Somebody is due an absolute tanking from us and I'm thinking it might be QOS tomorrow. We tend to come flying out the traps and have done last few weeks and like Alloa I can see us racing into a 3 goal lead and unlike Dunfermline we will build on that 2nd half. 

5 - 0 Airdrie ♦️

Airdrie made an arse of it today meaning I made an arse of myself with this post. 

Both teams erratic at the back and poor goals for both to concede. Still confident we will make the playoffs but definitely need to get sorted at back to win them 

I meant to mention this earlier but what is up with Ruari Paton? After the first goal, and a bit for the second too, he seemed to ignore all of his teammates celebrating and instead just walked slowly back while staring at Airdrie fans and talking to himself. I think he’s pals with Rico which maybe explains it but who knows. A good player but an odd character. 

30 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I meant to mention this earlier but what is up with Ruari Paton? After the first goal, and a bit for the second too, he seemed to ignore all of his teammates celebrating and instead just walked slowly back while staring at Airdrie fans and talking to himself. I think he’s pals with Rico which maybe explains it but who knows. A good player but an odd character. 

Well known he was Rico's best mate and was really disappointed he left. He is only in it for himself and hoping of a move no interest to stay next year  but may not have an option as under 23 so may not have any option if club offer him a contract.

7 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Well known he was Rico's best mate and was really disappointed he left. He is only in it for himself and hoping of a move no interest to stay next year  but may not have an option as under 23 so may not have any option if club offer him a contract.

He'll have the option not to stay but any club signing him will be due us some cash if we offer him a contract which we clearly will.

Be very surprised if no club was prepared to take a punt on that. 

54 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Maybe he's just pissed off stuck up front as a lone striker having high balls punted up to him most of the time. 

49 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

I more meant from the Airdrie/Rico side of things but that probably adds to his sulkiness too. Given how rare goalscorers are these days, I suspect at least one Championship will gamble on him and pay whatever compensation is due.