Stranraer VS Dumbarton

A very decent team effort today built on great performances from Bucky and Peter Grant. Stranraer threatened a couple of times in the opening half hour but when Hilton never reappeared for the second half they created very little. Given the distance we had a decent support down today, and more satisfyingly they went home happy. Well done Sons.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see the resident lunatic is claiming the results against Stenny and Stranraer were great because both of them have already beaten us this season.

No lunacy intended, but Stenny defeated us in the League Cup section and Stranraer ended the unbeaten league opening run.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see the resident lunatic is claiming the results against Stenny and Stranraer were great because both of them have already beaten us this season.

Even funnier that we haven't actually lost to Stenny this season.

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

No lunacy intended, but Stenny defeated us in the League Cup section and Stranraer ended the unbeaten league opening run.

The Stenny LC defeat was last season.

That was a really solid, professional showing. We limited Stranraer to a handful of chances - with Aaron Brown missing the best of them - and by and large controlled the game. Especially in the second-half where Brett barely had anything to do.

After the horror show against Elgin we've now bounced back with two good showings, games where we've created plenty and kept clean sheets. What a difference a week can make in football.

There really wasn't a failure in our side, although big Rusty McLean didn't have a great time of it. Aside from missing a really good first-half chance, and a few moments where he looked a handful, he spent the game as a frustrated figure.  I don't think it helps that we naturally play to his head, even when an easy pass into his feet are on. I'd imagine Declan Byrne will come back in for the Binos game.

Aside from the big man though, there were a some very good showings. Gregor Buchanan got a goal and an assist, and generally looked dominant throughout the game. And, alongside him, big Peter Grant turned in another excellent display. He didn't lose a header, used the ball well, read the game superbly and was always organising anyone within shouting distance.

He's been a really positive addition so far. But if we're talking about surprises this season, then Gregg Wylde has to be number one. I thought he was really effective at left-back again. He's not as defensively resolute as McNiff, but he offers us a bit of an out-ball down that side - and balances the full-back threat a wee bit more.

He was always keen to get on the ball, always prepared to get forward and his delivery was good all game. It gives Faz a dilemma for Tuesday, because that's two games where Wylde has performed impressively at full-back in Martin McNiff's absence.

Kalvin Orsi looked more like himself, all full of racehorse style running and big drives either side of the full-back. Jesus Christ I wish he'd score though. How Stranraer cleared his chance in the first two minutes or so only big Scott Robertson will know.

I was pleased to see Ross MacLean getting himself on the scoresheet. He's been as disappointing as Wylde has been good this season, but strikes me as being very much a confidence player. And hopefully that's being built back up again. After nine goals last season he should be targeting at least the same this year...Meaning he has the rest of the season to get five.

Finlay Gray was industrious and managed his farcical early yellow card well, whilst Joe McKee was clearly in the mood where he just glides through games. He was popping up in space, his passing was crisp and sharp and his dead balls were on point all game. It's a real shame he didn't score the second-half free-kick shown in the highlights, because it was a wicked strike.

Not as wicked as Ryan Blair's mind you. I wish that had gone in because it would be difficult to top as Goal of the Season - and from a player who doesn't get the credit he deserves from some of our supporters.

That's our third game against Stranraer this season, and they've gradually got weaker each time - albeit with injuries playing a role.

They were excellent in the 3-2 game in September and really should've had the game tied up before Paul Woods' injury time penalty winner. Woods ripped us to shreds that day, and his long-term injury must've came as a real blow.

Fast forward to November, and I was really impressed by them at the Rock. They played some really nice football, moved our defence around and we had Brett to thank for keeping our lead intact before Michael Garrity's late second.

Jinky Hilton stood out that day, and when he went off yesterday at half-time they lost all the threat they had.

I don't think they are a bad side. But they look a weird mix of some talented and exciting young players, and experienced players who are maybe a bit past their sell-by date. With very few players in their prime if that makes sense?

Matty Connelly in goals looks a good keeper, and loanees Aaron Brown and Johnny Ngandu showed some really impressive flashes. But then started to infuriate everyone with their poor decision making and casual nature, which saw both totally drop out the game.

I don't think there's any danger of them finishing 10th. But I also can't see a playoff charge at the right end being possible.

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

We had only won 2 of our previous 17 visits (in all competitions) to Stair Park before yesterday, spanning just under 32 years.

If only you had taken that 55 hour round trip to Stranraer, you could have witnessed a bit of history yesterday.

23 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Not as wicked as Ryan Blair's mind you. I wish that had gone in because it would be difficult to top as Goal of the Season - and from a player who doesn't get the credit he deserves from some of our supporters.

Matty Connelly in goals looks a good keeper, and loanees Aaron Brown and Johnny Ngandu showed some really impressive flashes. But then started to infuriate everyone with their poor decision making and casual nature, which saw both totally drop out the game.

A fairly reasonable summary in your post. I have, however, highlighted a couple of bits which I think stand out. The main reason I generally criticise Ryan is that he does exactly what you have accused the Stranraer players of doing. He far too often (by his own high standards) plays a lazy or casual pass which gives the ball straight to the opposition. It has happened at least once in every match, just about.

I had a discussion with someone at the Stenny game and I suggested that some of his passes are also "world cup" passes but ones that don't work out because we are playing in Scottish League 2 and the players aren't on the same page. He is an intelligent player but with the passing ability he has, he needs to play with the level of players he has around him and his concentration levels need to be there for the full match. 

Edited by squeezebox-son

6 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

A fairly reasonable summary in your post. I have, however, highlighted a couple of bits which I think stand out. The main reason I generally criticise Ryan is that he does exactly what you have accused the Stranraer players of doing. He far too often (by his own high standards) plays a lazy or casual pass which gives the ball straight to the opposition. It has happened at least once in every match, just about.

I had a discussion with someone at the Stenny game and I suggested that some of his passes are also "world cup" passes but ones that don't work out because we are playing in Scottish League 2 and the players aren't on the same page. He is an intelligent player but with the passing ability he has, he needs to play with the level of players he has around him and his concentration levels need to be there for the full match. 

I genuinely rate him really highly. I can’t seem to recall many of these misplaced passes. He does a great job of playing simple balls to keep the game flowing but also is excellent at breaking up attacks in the hole he’s allowed to sit in. Maybe some his worst showings have been whenever we’ve played a central 2 instead of the 3 in midfield.

20 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

I'd agree with that.

20 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’d probably consider Blair our most important player. He might not stand out but I’d rather any other player in our squad was on the sidelines over him. We just aren’t the same team without him.

But also with that.