The Wasps vs The Mo

Did we go 4-2-3-1 in the second-half? Looks very much like that a couple of times in the highlights and hope that was the case, think it is a formation that really suits our squad and one that could be extremely effective in the months ahead. Excellent result anyway and great credit to team and management for the manner in which they have responded to a tough day at Airdrie. 

Just now, Waspie said:

Did we go 4-2-3-1 in the second-half? Looks very much like that a couple of times in the highlights and hope that was the case, think it is a formation that really suits our squad and one that could be extremely effective in the months ahead. Excellent result anyway and great credit to team and management for the manner in which they have responded to a tough day at Airdrie. 

It wasn't -  just the same narrow diamond - but Coulson was played as a forward instead of in the pocket. As he's got a good pedigree as a winger he worked the channel well.

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I think there's lots of games where we have played well this season outside matches against the bottom 2. 

Sammon seems to be the go to guy for criticism for some, and he didn't impact the game on Saturday- but if he gets the right type of service he does and that's reflected in his goal return this season. The big man has his off days but so do even the best strikers when they get crap service.

MacIver certainly needs a goal but like Sammon can't criticise his effort and what he generally brings to the team.

Despite our attacking options being pretty static (need Rodden to make his mark when he returns from injury), I think we're sitting nicely for a crack at the top 4 as we reach the vital stage of the season. Striking options is a bit of an issue and we have struggled to put away our chances in recent games, but in other areas of the park we look okay. Doyle hasn't been a major standout so far but he has definitely added stability to the backline. Since the Airdrie game we've only conceded 2 in 4 games to a reasonably decent (not great) Falkirk team.

Coulson is an excellent addition-Alloas best player on Saturday and looks a find. Gives us something no one else really offers- Cawley will struggle to get his place back when he returns.

The main thing for me is to pick up more points on the road. Our away form isn't great for a team challenging at the top. Whilst it isn't a shambles by any means, outwith the bottom 2 we have only managed to beat Queen of the South away from home. Injuries are starting to clear so if we can pick up some decent wins on the road and continue our home form we should make top 4.

I'd also suggest there isn't too much to fear in the playoffs should we make it.

I'd like to think we could fit them both in somehow. 🙂 Coulson has certainly done much better than expected. He's quick, direct and strong, plus decent on the ball. If he hadn't made the goal on Saturday I'd have queried his final ball/finishing, and I still think that's an area he will need to improve. Certainly gives us qualities no one else can.

On the second half formation, must admit I wasn't sure at times exactly what it was. Coulson was wide left at times, with Scougs in the hole IMO, with LD given a licence to go where he could affect the game (which suited him) and McIver was the lone target man which also seemed to suit him - as I mentioned above I thought his general play was really good in that role.

1 hour ago, printer said:

I'd like to think we could fit them both in somehow. 🙂 Coulson has certainly done much better than expected. He's quick, direct and strong, plus decent on the ball. If he hadn't made the goal on Saturday I'd have queried his final ball/finishing, and I still think that's an area he will need to improve. Certainly gives us qualities no one else can.

On the second half formation, must admit I wasn't sure at times exactly what it was. Coulson was wide left at times, with Scougs in the hole IMO, with LD given a licence to go where he could affect the game (which suited him) and McIver was the lone target man which also seemed to suit him - as I mentioned above I thought his general play was really good in that role.

If we play the 4-2-3-1 aforementioned by Waspie could easily play Coulson and Cawley together. But with the wing backs and 2 up top every game I can't see them getting much time on the pitch together, might well be wrong though.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

It wasn't -  just the same narrow diamond - but Coulson was played as a forward instead of in the pocket. As he's got a good pedigree as a winger he worked the channel well.

Certainly does a good impression of something like a 4-2-3-1 on a few occasions on your highlights! Would make sense to play 1 up with some kind of combination of creative men in behind in our current situation when our 2 available natural strikers aren't so effective together, and even more so when the likes of MacIver and Donnelly in particular can comfortably drift between being the 1 or part of those just behind, which appears to happen at times in the highlights. 

Screenshot_20230227_171708_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.e05da138182eceebcc1fb2dd72556c94.jpg

Screenshot_20230227_171435_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.93d0368515b22dbc52673268cea03c7f.jpg

You have seen more games than me this season Brian so I will take your word for it about playing well.

Can't remember many home games with the exception of the 5-1 QOS game where we have played really well. Of the away games I have been at, great in the first half at Edinburgh City but apart from that relatively poor. Haven't been at many other away games except Falkirk, we were woeful in the first game and only slightly better in the second. The fact we lost 2-0 and 4-0 to Airdrie we obviously weren't very good and the two QOS away games it sounded like we stole points after being outplayed.

I quite like Big Connor but in the last few months him and MacIver together has been ineffective. I do agree the service he has been getting has been poor and his best performance was when Strachan and Church were delivering quality crosses from the left, he was unplayable that day. Having Taggart in the centre doesn't help with him getting decent service from the right hand side right enough.

Agree with your comment on Coulson, there is definitely a player in there who gives us a different option to what we had.

That said Kevin Cawley is a better player than him and four or five others, so should be one of the first names in the team alongside Taggart and Scougal.

I think Mikey Doyle has been good if not spectacular, although a defender was probably the last position we needed.

Will be interesting to see how we line up on Saturday, much better shape in the second half and although Jon Robertson has been off it a bit recently, gives the midfield a bit more balance. I would definitely start Luke Donnelly if 100 percent fit, as he causes defence real problems.

Edited by Magic Hat

I thought the second half formation was more of a 4-2-2-2, albeit somewhat lopsided with Coulson drifting left. It was certainly still 2 upfront, although Donnelly is always going to wander to get the ball and MacIver does too, because he has a natural instinct to track back and put so much effort in off the ball (to his detriment in front of goal). Pretty sure we went 4-2-2-2 after half time for a bit at Airdrie last month too, less successfully that day!

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

Will be interesting to see how we line up on Saturday, much better shape in the second half and although John Robertson has been off it a bit recently, gives the midfield a bit more balance. I would definitely start Luke Donnelly if 100 percent fit, as he causes defence real problems.

Yeah, I'd start both Robbo and LD on Saturday. I thought Jon played well on Saturday. I think we'll need our best and most experienced eleven on the park if we are going to take something from the game, something we are capable of doing IMO.