The Wasps vs The Mo

not managing to attend this one but has the feel of a must win game for the Mo, closer in points to 8th than 4th now although it's tight.

Really need a win, dropping 4 points in the home games to Kelty and Edinburgh could well be what defines where we finish the season.  

By no means will this be an easy game or the Mo either.  Need to stop giving away silly goals and tighten up down our right side, which just isn't strong enough without a natural right back.

We've been struggling to score recently so we'll gladly accept any silly goals you feel like giving away.

Hoping for an Alloa win. It'd move us 7 points clear of 6th and hopefully back into the playoff positions if other results go our way

Really big 3 points and I thought we more than deserved the win today. 

Tough opening half hour with us unable to get a hold of the ball. Give credit to the way Montrose played without the ball - the harried and harassed and never gave Alloa a moment to settle. I thought they were very poor in possession though, every time the won it back it was laid off and hoofed towards the corner flag. Clearly that was Petrie’s game plan with the width the front line we’re maintaining, but the team looked out on their feet after about 35 minutes and I felt at halftime we would come out and win the 2nd half with how much effort Montrose had expelled for nothing. In truth, they didn’t play any football until the 2nd period when they were pretty clearly gassed and forced to pass the ball around more. 

Bold substitutions from Rice at halftime but the team came out inspired. Credit King for an excellent finish and the build up from Coulson and LD was brilliant. 

Was a shame we couldn’t add to the score line as I felt we would have more than deserved a more comfortable win. 

I know there was a fair bit of moaning about the ref from the Falkirk fans last week, and @printer might not like this (😀) but that was an awful performance from the official today. Comfortably the worst I’ve seen in at least the last 2 or 3 seasons. Came across as the type who loves the sound of his own whistle and seemed to think everyone paid their money to come and watch him. I’m glad there wasn’t really any big contentious decisions to make because no matter which side they were for, would guarantee he would have got them wrong. Couldn’t see properly but did he send someone off after full time?

Agree the ref was horrendous. Booking Coulson for simulation but stopping the game every time a Montrose player rolled around. Then ignoring Scougall when he was down with a head injury too.

We were poor first half but improved after changing shape. We were gifting possession back to Montrose too much with slack passes.

Good finish from Kingy. Really liking Coulson, he's direct and not afraid to take a shot.

57 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

I know there was a fair bit of moaning about the ref from the Falkirk fans last week, and @printer might not like this (😀) but that was an awful performance from the official today. Comfortably the worst I’ve seen in at least the last 2 or 3 seasons. Came across as the type who loves the sound of his own whistle and seemed to think everyone paid their money to come and watch him. I’m glad there wasn’t really any big contentious decisions to make because no matter which side they were for, would guarantee he would have got them wrong. Couldn’t see properly but did he send someone off after full time?

😀 I thought the ref penalised too many soft challenges when he could have let the game go on. Wasn't the best ref I've seen, but he was pretty consistent if nitpickey. Certainly wasn't "horrendous". 

Agree it was a really good three points and just about deserved after a poor first half from us, with Montrose on top and their front three looking lively.

Bold changes at half-time from Rice, and credit to him for that; completely changed the game. Thought McIver was excellent second half and was well supported by LD, Coulson and Scougs (in an advanced role). He seemed to thrive with Sammon not on the pitch. Robbo and King also did well when they came on, clinical finish from the latter.

Also thought Doyley was excellent defensively, especially at right back when we went to a back four. Great to see him "turn back the clock".

Who knows what eleven we will start with away to Dunfermline. 

Edited by printer

5 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

How was the Mo keeper today? Hopefully he wasn’t shocking or were in a spot of bother in terms of keepers

He was fine to be honest, didn’t have much today first half, did think he started to look a little less comfortable as the game went on though. 

Not sure what height he is but he looked pretty small!

I thought we were really poor in the first half & couldn’t find a man. Our midfield looked really weak and game passing them by. In particular I thought Strachan was almost non existent. I wasn’t surprised at all that the 3 subs were made as Rice needed to change it & fair play to him for doing it. I thought Donnelly made a big difference and for a tall guy it’s great to watch his skill on the deck. Coulson also caught the eye & I think he’s been a great addition. A bit surprised Durnan didn’t start as I’d have him starting alongside Stanger who I also thought was excellent today. Onwards to next week & hope we start with the team we saw in the 2nd half as we won’t get away with that 1st half performance against Dunfermline. 

Think today has made it clear that we are a much better side with a back 4 and a much better side when Conor Sammon isn’t in it. Looked a lot more comfortable with 4 at the back and Robertson and King in front of it, and MacIver was a different player when he had Donnelly up with him (who was excellent when he came on). I think I’d start next week with the team we started the second half with, Scougall was much better when further up the pitch as well, something we saw glimpses of at the start of the season before he’s been gradually moved deeper again. 

A good win today and probably a deserved one, next week isn’t going to define our season but would be good to pick something up to get a run going.

Rice's half time subs made a big impact today as we barely strung two passes together in the first half.

The goal was well taken, and pleasing after Webster's failed cynical attempt to take out Coulson in the build-up.

Although he was only on for 45 minutes I thought Donnelly was best for us today, we simply look a better side when he's playing.

The ref annoyed me too, although sometimes this can add some spice to an otherwise dull game.

Great win today and shout out to Ricey for the bold triple sub at half time, when you think about it, not a bad trio of players to bring on at this level.

Cracking goal, and delighted with the win. 

I think we are where most would have anticipated us to be prediction - wise at the start of the season( the Rice out patter a few weeks ago was comical), hopefully no more performances like Airdrie and I think we will be in with a good shout of top 4.

Edited by Pie on a Roll

We were absolutely brutal in the first half and like so many games this season the football has been awful to watch.

Fair play to Rice at half time for making the changes, we were much better in the second half, scored a good goal and probably just about deserved the win.

Over the last few seasons don't remember many games where the referee has had such an inept performance as yesterday, he was absolutely awful and far too whistle happy.

Not saying we were good in the first half (we obviously weren’t!) but I didn’t think we were awful yesterday - felt it had much more to do with how Montrose played that first half hour or so, swarmed any Alloa player the moment they lost the ball. 

Paid the price in the end for not getting anything out that period, not many teams will out run Alloa, they are a fit bunch. 

Thought Hogarth looked a bit more confident coming for crosses yesterday, he had a couple of good clean takes but did have one he made a hash of. He's definitely improving as a keeper and that's what loan spells are supposed to be for. Made a couple good saves in the second half too but don't remember him having much else to do.

He's always looking to get the ball up the pitch quickly and hit teams on the counter. 

I thought in the first half our passing was terrible and the punt up to Sammon and MacIver was as ineffective as it was at Falkirk last week and in a number of recent games. This is far from being the worst Alloa team I have seen in the last 40 years but the style of football has been really poor to watch.

Agree with you that the way Montrose played probably did cause some of the issues. However these kind of performances and poor football has been evident against the majority of teams, outside Clyde and Peterhead.

Second half was much better, and all three subs contributed to that, so Rice has to get credit for that.

Edited by Magic Hat

I think there's lots of games where we have played well this season outside matches against the bottom 2. 

Sammon seems to be the go to guy for criticism for some, and he didn't impact the game on Saturday- but if he gets the right type of service he does and that's reflected in his goal return this season. The big man has his off days but so do even the best strikers when they get crap service.

MacIver certainly needs a goal but like Sammon can't criticise his effort and what he generally brings to the team.

Despite our attacking options being pretty static (need Rodden to make his mark when he returns from injury), I think we're sitting nicely for a crack at the top 4 as we reach the vital stage of the season. Striking options is a bit of an issue and we have struggled to put away our chances in recent games, but in other areas of the park we look okay. Doyle hasn't been a major standout so far but he has definitely added stability to the backline. Since the Airdrie game we've only conceded 2 in 4 games to a reasonably decent (not great) Falkirk team.

Coulson is an excellent addition-Alloas best player on Saturday and looks a find. Gives us something no one else really offers- Cawley will struggle to get his place back when he returns.

The main thing for me is to pick up more points on the road. Our away form isn't great for a team challenging at the top. Whilst it isn't a shambles by any means, outwith the bottom 2 we have only managed to beat Queen of the South away from home. Injuries are starting to clear so if we can pick up some decent wins on the road and continue our home form we should make top 4.

I'd also suggest there isn't too much to fear in the playoffs should we make it.